View Full Version : Suddenly feeling sleepy?

Donny997
05-15-15, 01:33 PM
Hi guys,

I recently started Concerta after my therapist agreed I most likely have ADDI. The first week was life-changing. Everything was improved: vision, coordination, mental clarity, fatigue. It was like a light was switched on in my brain.

I'm taking 54 mg because the lower doses weren't doing anything. I've also been taking 10 mg of cipralex for 3 years. I met with my doc on Monday and he told me to slowly wean off the cipralex since I responded so well to the Concerta and it was decided that although the cipralex helped me with social anxiety + dep at one point in my life, the ADDI was probably the main problem that was missed by everyone. So I've been weaning slowly.

Today, unfortunately, I don't feel the good effects I initially experienced and feel zonked out/ sleepy? I don't feel directly depressed but I feel disappointed that I feel kind of stoned (similar to how I feel normally, though in a different way; this is like a focused stoned). So today I'm feeling depressed about this. The best way to describe it is that I feel like I took Benzos before I went to work today. UGH!

I don't know if this reaction was caused by my lowering cipralex to 5 mg or what. I feel sleepy and zonked out and catatonic-like. Very, very hard to function at work today; whereas the last week has been absolutely incredible. Initially it was much easier to have conversations because my mind was clear, today it's like pulling my words out of thick mud. I definitely do not have the same mental clarity today. What was amazing the first week was that I felt "awake" for the first time in my life. Now I feel like I'm about to keel over and snooze. :S!

On a positive note: reducing my cipralex has not made me more anxious - it's actually done the opposite Lol. On that note, my hypothesis is that the higher dose of Cipralex was counteracting the Concerta at first, so now that I've lowered the Cipralex I feel more Concerta more powerfully at 54 mg, and thus feel that paradoxical sleepy reaction more?

Can someone please offer some help or guidance? Is this normal? I am a newbie so I'm not sure and am new to all this.

Donny997
05-16-15, 09:24 PM
Somebody throw me a bone here

Greyhound1
05-16-15, 11:17 PM
Perhaps, it's just your body adjusting to a reduced dose of Cipralex. I would give it a little more time and see how you adjust.

If things don't get better soon give your Dr. a call, that's about all I know to tell you. Sorry, I know it's not much help. Best of luck with it.

sarahsweets
05-17-15, 04:40 AM
I think its the ciprolex too. The only other thing that comes to mind is that sometimes too high of a dose of a stimulant can make you feel sleepy as well.

Donny997
05-17-15, 11:31 AM
Thanks :). Yeah, I think it's one or the other. I think my dose is too high, because I read how too high a concerta dose can make one feel "stoned", as opposed to adderall which generally would make one more agitated, angry. But again, generalizations :p

Powderbucket
05-17-15, 04:08 PM
Concerta makes me feel like a bit of a zombie. I need to put in some of my own willpower to actually see it's true effect. For that, I love it.

So the fact that Concerta can already make you tired and you're coming off some old meds, I would say that you're just getting used to the change.

I take 36mg Concerta and 10mg Ritalin when needed. What works very well for me, and what helps to fight the hectic zombie-stage as Concerta wears off, is if I break the Ritalin in half and take it at about 5pm or so.

Donny997
05-17-15, 10:25 PM
Concerta makes me feel like a bit of a zombie. I need to put in some of my own willpower to actually see it's true effect. For that, I love it.

So the fact that Concerta can already make you tired and you're coming off some old meds, I would say that you're just getting used to the change.

I take 36mg Concerta and 10mg Ritalin when needed. What works very well for me, and what helps to fight the hectic zombie-stage as Concerta wears off, is if I break the Ritalin in half and take it at about 5pm or so.

I know what you mean, the Concerta seems to work better when I'm moving around; that's when I really notice the sharp effects. But this time the zombie feeling was too much to even get into that active mode. For an inattentive type, it's too overwhelming. It's not what I need. I'm calm enough as it is.

Also, I didn't think reducing my SSRI would cause tiredness, but I guess that would make sense.

I got a new script for 36 mg. If I still have problems, I'll know it's not the Concert and that I should probably bump back up the SSRI, or push through and finally get off it, lol. It's so difficult being so damn long on this thing though. It's almost like you have to stay on it just to maintain homeostasis in your brain, even if it's not doing much in way of lifting my depression. Though I've realized it often does more than one thinks, and you see this first hand when you wean off an anti-depressant and all the old feelings come rushing back.

Regardless, I don't think increasing the cipralex is an option, because I once went to 20 mg for a short period and it really slowed down my cognitive and motor functioning. I didn't care at the time because I had so much anxiety, but looking back, man I probably just put my frontal lobes into hibernation!

One incident when this detriment was obvious was when I was training my dog with a trainer, and I was asked to speed walk with my dog at my side and then stop abruptly and turn to get him to follow quickly. And to my shock, I couldn't stop abruptly on her signal. It was like my motor functioning was slowed down. This was not normal for me at all, and should never have been acceptable, especially for someone who has spent a lifetime involved in competitive sports and physical fitness. I wish I had more understanding that I was only treating one side of the coin and neglecting my poor dopamine!

Sorry for the tangent but I wanted to get these thoughts out ;). My point is that even with proof that an SSRI wasn't an appropriate medication for me (alone, anyway), I STILL have trouble weaning off it. Your brain becomes so f****** dependent!

Powderbucket
05-19-15, 04:13 AM
One incident when this detriment was obvious was when I was training my dog with a trainer, and I was asked to speed walk with my dog at my side and then stop abruptly and turn to get him to follow quickly. And to my shock, I couldn't stop abruptly on her signal. It was like my motor functioning was slowed down. This was not normal for me at all, and should never have been acceptable, especially for someone who has spent a lifetime involved in competitive sports and physical fitness. I wish I had more understanding that I was only treating one side of the coin and neglecting my poor dopamine!

Sorry for the tangent but I wanted to get these thoughts out ;). My point is that even with proof that an SSRI wasn't an appropriate medication for me (alone, anyway), I STILL have trouble weaning off it. Your brain becomes so f****** dependent!

That doesn't sound too cool. Sorry man... I really hope that you find something that works out.

I went through some trouble with supplements (not quite prescription stuff, but similar story). I was chopping and changing and eventually I thought my brain had become dependent on supplements it didn't need in the first place. It was REALLY horrible. I got rid of this by going cold turkey for a full month.... I only took an immune booster to fight the overall feeling of ****. It actually worked extremely well. When my brain was its good old self again, I started with Concerta.

Best of luck! :)

Donny997
05-19-15, 06:42 PM
That doesn't sound too cool. Sorry man... I really hope that you find something that works out.

I went through some trouble with supplements (not quite prescription stuff, but similar story). I was chopping and changing and eventually I thought my brain had become dependent on supplements it didn't need in the first place. It was REALLY horrible. I got rid of this by going cold turkey for a full month.... I only took an immune booster to fight the overall feeling of ****. It actually worked extremely well. When my brain was its good old self again, I started with Concerta.

Best of luck! :)

Thanks, appreciate it :)

Donny997
05-20-15, 07:07 PM
Hey guys,

Here's a quick update. I went back up to the 10 mg cipralex and lowered Concerta to 36 mg. I felt a lot better today. The mental clarity was back and once again had that feeling that I didn't have to exert so much mental energy to complete tasks. Some negative feelings waned in and out throughout the day - but that's normal for me :P. However, I find that stimulants really clear up your thinking and give you a more accurate assessment on things. Sometimes this can lead to depressive thoughts. But with that said, you also have greater clarity on how to solve the problems that are in your life. As for the social awkwardness, sometimes I just feel too stiff and a little edgy at certain times; probably when the medication's releasing. Then at other times I'm fine and communicating well and feeling good.

So I'm going to stay on this dose for a couple more days, then see if I should stay or go back to 27 or 18 mg. If the "zombie feeling of not being receptive to others" remains too often, I'll have to ask for a switch.

My ADD symptoms, though, are lessening quite a bit. So I'll have to weigh the positives against the negatives. I heard dexedrine and adderall might be better for inattentive types anyway, so I'll give those a try after I give Concerta a fair shake (couple more weeks)

Take care everyone!!! :)

Powderbucket
05-22-15, 08:11 AM
Hey guys,

Here's a quick update. I went back up to the 10 mg cipralex and lowered Concerta to 36 mg. I felt a lot better today. The mental clarity was back and once again had that feeling that I didn't have to exert so much mental energy to complete tasks. Some negative feelings waned in and out throughout the day - but that's normal for me :P. However, I find that stimulants really clear up your thinking and give you a more accurate assessment on things. Sometimes this can lead to depressive thoughts. But with that said, you also have greater clarity on how to solve the problems that are in your life. As for the social awkwardness, sometimes I just feel too stiff and a little edgy at certain times; probably when the medication's releasing. Then at other times I'm fine and communicating well and feeling good.

So I'm going to stay on this dose for a couple more days, then see if I should stay or go back to 27 or 18 mg. If the "zombie feeling of not being receptive to others" remains too often, I'll have to ask for a switch.

My ADD symptoms, though, are lessening quite a bit. So I'll have to weigh the positives against the negatives. I heard dexedrine and adderall might be better for inattentive types anyway, so I'll give those a try after I give Concerta a fair shake (couple more weeks)

Take care everyone!!! :)

Glad to hear you're feeling better. I hope your symptoms continue to get better and that this works for you.