View Full Version : if you vaccinated your child(ren) ...

peripatetic
05-19-15, 04:19 PM
two questions:

1. what made you suspect s/he had a fever afterward and take his/her temperature?

i realise that might sound like a dumb question, but i forgot to ask before leaving the doctor's office. i know that the most common side effect is a low-grade fever and to treat it with infant acetaminophen (which i purchased in the event it's needed), but it just occurred to me that unless i'm taking her temperature all of the time...how will i know? or is fever something that will make her fussy? i'd hope she wouldn't be "burning up" so it seems like i might miss it and i wouldn't want her to suffer any ill effects of my not catching a fever...

obviously if she is one of the rare, rare few who has an allergic reaction, i'll know, but for those of you with children: how does one know if an infant is feverish or should i be taking her temperature periodically (with every change or something)? is it going to be clear that's what's happening? she's asleep on me in her kinderpack and has been since we left the building.

2. i've also had a friend suggest massaging her legs where she had the injections. have others done that or warm compresses and found it helpful?

i considered putting this in the women with adhd section since i can't say that my two-month old has adhd...but i think i'll get more useful replies, so hoping folks don't mind my asking here :)

cheers in advance! xx

sarahsweets
05-20-15, 04:08 AM
All of my kids were vaccinated and the doctor would have me give them some infant tylenol or motrin in the office right before the shot. It takes about 45 minutes to work and this seemed to prevent injection site pain and fever.

stef
05-20-15, 04:16 AM
Honestly I don't remember!
If your baby has a fever she might be fussy at non-fussy times of day and "out of sorts". Her eyes will look sleepy or feverish.
(This is funny, I can still tell now when my adult son just has a cold or it's a sore throat fever thing, just by looking at his eyes).

sarahsweets
05-20-15, 04:19 AM
One thing to note is beyond the first 24 hours, if the baby has a consistent fever of 100.9 or higher you should contact the dr.

stef
05-20-15, 04:37 AM
Indeed, I'm just talking about low grade type fevers in my post!

mildadhd
05-20-15, 08:50 AM
I was not present and am not sure of my son's experience.

But I did some layhuman reading around, and a digit thermometer under the infants arm could be a general warning, to look into, or not, more professional help recommended by your doctor.

It was common to read that the infant will have a higher temperature when the infant is bundled up, and that it was good to give the infants time to unbundle and cool down, before taking temperature.

Interesting, the connection between primary caregiver and infant.

In my experience what to watch for with my son, is that he never tells me he has a fever or complains when he sick.

Please talk to your doctor about anything I write.

P

zette93
05-20-15, 09:26 PM
You don't need to be taking her temperature "just in case". If she has a fever, she'll likely be fussy, may not want to eat, and will feel warm to the touch. One tip is to put the back of your hand (instead of your fingertips) against her forhead. If it seems warm, then check with a thermometer under the arm. The expensive ones you swipe across the forehead are also nice to have, but you don't need to rush out and buy one.

Corina86
05-21-15, 02:23 PM
Why not just take his/her temperature? You can get one of those thermometers that measure temperature after being pressed to the forehead for a couple of seconds. My sister-in-law and a colleague had those and they worked well.

peripatetic
07-26-15, 11:25 AM
thanks for the replies everyone! i did read them but forgot to post on the thread again.

she ended up needing tylenol twice after her two month ones and breezed through without a fever.

this past week she had her four month ones and did great. whew!

peripatetic
07-26-15, 11:29 AM
Why not just take his/her temperature? You can get one of those thermometers that measure temperature after being pressed to the forehead for a couple of seconds. My sister-in-law and a colleague had those and they worked well.

it's my understanding that the forehead ones (we have a digital forehead one) isn't to be used until they're a bit older. she's only just now four months and needs to have underarm readings.

as far as why not just take her temperature...i did. i was asking more what are signs of low grade fever in newborns because the fever can come on anytime in the first two days and i didn't want to miss something if it's not going to be obvious (and i didn't want to be waking her every two hours to take her temp or something). low grade to me doesn't sound like it'd be apparent necessarily she's in distress until it got out of hand and we had a high fever and she'd have to go into urgent care or emergency.

willow129
07-26-15, 01:47 PM
This is beside the point but!! How are things going for you and baby in general peri??? :D :D I've been wondering about you, I'm sure it's been crazy busy!!! I hope you are doing well though :)

LynneC
07-27-15, 07:56 AM
as far as why not just take her temperature...i did. i was asking more what are signs of low grade fever in newborns because the fever can come on anytime in the first two days and i didn't want to miss something if it's not going to be obvious (and i didn't want to be waking her every two hours to take her temp or something). low grade to me doesn't sound like it'd be apparent necessarily she's in distress until it got out of hand and we had a high fever and she'd have to go into urgent care or emergency.
I think you are right; low grade fever is not a huge issue; if you are not seeing a lot of fussiness (beyond the normal fussiness of a 4month old :) ) I would not even take her temp. Alternatively you also want to keep your eyes open for lethargic behavior after a vax...

Once my ds was about your dd's age, I would give a prophylactic dose of Tylenol right before we left the house for a vaccination appointment.

peripatetic
07-28-15, 10:24 PM
This is beside the point but!! How are things going for you and baby in general peri??? :D :D I've been wondering about you, I'm sure it's been crazy busy!!! I hope you are doing well though :)

Hey willow,

Thanks for asking :) She's phenomenal in every way. She's such a delight. At her four month appointment she was 12.5 pounds and almost 26 inches. She's a super smiley, happy baby and as of today she's mastered rolling from back to tummy.

I put some new photos of her in the baby Estelle album on my profile, but it's "private" so I'll send you a friend thingy if you want to see her.

I'm doing pretty well. I haven't discussed it on the forums because I've been busy and we traveled abroad recently (and I'm horrified by it), but I was diagnosed with postpartum OCD and that's finally pretty well medicated and under control now. I've thought about writing about that but maybe I'll mention it here for now and see if I freak out and edit my post ;)

Motherhood is far better than I had imagined, though. She's awesome :)