View Full Version : I am failing in College. I wished I had been diagnosed sooner.

matiasve
05-23-15, 10:18 AM
I was recently diagnosed with ADHD-Pi and am now taking medication, Concerta. Ever since I started taking it I have had more energy, my head is clearer and I can concentrate better. Studying is still extremely difficult for me: I have to force myself to begin and when I do I feel my studying is going too slowly.

I can't sleep and nothing is helping, not the sleeping aids I received anyway. I don't sleep before 3-5 a.m. and when I wake up at 8-9 a.m. I take my concerta and trudge on. I feel worser by the day.
I've got my first exam within 3 days and I know it will be a disaster. I have way too many to redo in August as it is anyway. My university refuses to help me because I failed to declare my ADHD before the end of february even though I was only recently diagnosed. I fear this will be another year I lost.

I know the medication is not a miracle drug but it has helped me on all aspects of my life except for my college life. Yet my studies are the most important thing in the world for me and are what made me search help.
I don't know why I'm writing all of this here but perhaps some of you have been through the same and can tell how you saved yourselves.

The knowledge that my life would have been so different if I had been diagnosed as a kid and that once again I am too late, makes me want to puke. I feel that my future is slipping through my fingers.

Thanks for reading this and letting me write this stuff down. This has helped by itself.

sarahsweets
05-23-15, 12:26 PM
Learning about ADHD later in life can create a slew of "what ifs" but the past cant be changed. Try to work on the now. Have you considered therapy in addition to meds? It can help at least with thinking of the past.

acdc01
05-23-15, 03:55 PM
Try a different med. You can't continue without sleep.

Everyone feels the regret of not being diagnosed earlier when they first get diagnosed as an adult so you aren't alone there.

Pilgrim
05-23-15, 06:57 PM
Learning about ADHD later in life can create a slew of "what ifs" but the past cant be changed. Try to work on the now. Have you considered therapy in addition to meds? It can help at least with thinking of the past.

This is spot on. Most of us caught the bus late and think if only we'd known sooner.
This is negative thinking. And it's a choice. I think there is a disconnect between the person who you were, and who you are now.

It sounds basic but push those thoughts away when they come, you probably still have the world in front of you.

acdc01
05-27-15, 07:15 AM
One more year of school by the way is tough but you can get through that. Many of us here didn't get diagnosed until our 30s - 60s, and even later than that. You're actually still quite young and have your whole life ahead of you even if you've been delayed a few years.

And again, it's imperative you try a different med. The amount of sleep you're getting - you can't perform well at school with that amount of sleep and it can really hurt your health if you continue this way.

rickymooston
05-27-15, 10:38 PM
I don't sleep before 3-5 a.m. and when I wake up at 8-9 a.m. I take my concerta and trudge on.

Are you taking too much? Have you mentioned this side effect to your doctor?

Based on your description, your medication which is a stimulant, is keeping you awake.

It is keeping your mind clear but it's keeping you awake.

Perhaps, rather than the 'wrong medication', you are taking too much? Anyway, I hope your doctor can help but assume that will only happen if you discuss this lack of sleep with your doctor.

Anyway, my suggestion is, try taking less. Take enough so your period of clarity occurs only during the time you need to do things?

tinybike
06-07-15, 11:08 AM
I failed something every semester until this past one, even though I started as a "mature student". My transcripts are a mess of As and Fs - thankfully they averaged out to a GPA of 2.5 for me, so I was never dismissed, but I did have to have dean meetings etc.

The medication helps me focus, but it did not teach me skills. Since my diagnosis in December, I decided to take four classes per semester instead of the usual five. I also worked with a psychologist every week for the beginning of the semester in order to learn a few things and keep me accountable when I wouldn't or couldn't be accountable to myself. That was the best thing I could have done! My semester GPA for this winter was 3.9 - medication alone could never have made that happen. I had to find my motivation. I met with instructors for the courses I found particularly difficult, and I utilized my accommodations. They are very willing to help you when you show initiative, even if you don't know where to start. Especially where you can't receive university-sanctioned accommodations, building a rapport with your instructor is essential. They can and WILL pull strings for students they know are trying and are invested.

Of course, you need to be sleeping to be able to do anything, so certainly bring that up with your doctor!

roth364
10-09-15, 08:04 PM
i know how you feel brother. I was diagnosed 4 months ago at the age of 25. I'am in my last semester of college and getting ready 2 transfer to a 2 year university. I did and managed my whole life without the help of my medication but now i got that extra needed push to finish college and be successful in my education. Life would of been much easier for me with my long awaited prescription. 2 years ago i started school without the invision of finishing. And now i can see much clear now.

Brachenheiser
10-25-15, 12:08 PM
As someone who was diagnosed when they were very young, I can tell you that it doesn't matter how or when you're diagnosed. You still have ADD. In my case, I actually blamed the medication for my issues because I'm sort of an idiot, haha.

Anyway, I made it through college and didn't start medications again until graduate school. Everyone is different, but I've found that if the medication is keeping you up, then you might need to see about lowering the dose or changing your medication.

When I took Concerta, I had the same issue. It was killing me. All I had to do was go down a bit on the dosage, and I was fine.

You actually seem to have the exact same issue I had.

If it's the medication that's keeping you awake, then you can try what my doctor recommended. He told me to drink orange juice or something high in Vitamin C and stay away from protein before you go to sleep. Sleeping aids just made me a bit insane, and I was more tired than ever.

If it's not the medication? I'm not sure what to suggest. Make sure you're expending your excess energy in some way. I also find eating lots of carbs puts me to sleep, but you might be different.

Whatever you do, I think you need to talk about it with your doctor. That's what the doc is there for, to help you figure out something that works for you.

As for the classes, most universities will let you retake a class once for grade replacement. So, while it might take you longer to graduate, it's not the end. And, you're certainly not too late.

coffeesudoku
01-23-16, 02:12 AM
Try a different med. You can't continue without sleep.

Everyone feels the regret of not being diagnosed earlier when they first get diagnosed as an adult so you aren't alone there.

I was thinking the same thing. The best thing that you can do would be the take something else if what you're using now isn't working. You want to make sure that you're on the right medications.

InvitroCanibal
01-31-16, 03:07 AM
Sleeping is more beneficial in treating ADHD then ADHD meds. If you have to choose between the two, choose sleep.

If the issues with sleep were there before you started the meds, then you have to journal your habits. Look at what you are doing before bed or before that and try moving it to the morning. Go to bed earlier to do it.

If that doesn't work, my doc believes stimulants can help those with adhd sleep, for as long as they are at the correct dose. His words were that you should always be able to sleep on your meds irregardless if you take them before bed.

I take them before bed, and I can attest to this. The other thing that helps me is reading pubmed research or random stuff unrelated to school work. It isnt as exciting as a novel but it helps tire out my mind without stressing me.

well good luck.

astronomalous
03-29-16, 01:02 PM
I feel for you so much, I'm in sorta the same boat. Positive vibes being sent your way.

One thing I don't see that anyone has said, has your sleep schedule changed since you started the Concerta? If sleep has been a continuous problem for you, you may want to consider that you have depression as well as ADHD, based on your other description. I would highly suggest you ask your medical provider to screen you for depression.

Also it may be that if you can find it, some kind of study skills or organization skills course could be helpful. I know some learning annexes and other things will offer such classes.

Best of luck!