View Full Version : ADHD -pi (primarily indoors)

Poe's Imp
05-23-15, 09:16 PM
Someone a while back jokingly took the pi of ADHD -pi and explained it 'primarily indoors'.

Is it just me that often can't see the point of going outside? I'm pretty sure I'm not depressed but even on gorgeous summer days I seem to prefer looking out at all that loveliness rather than experiencing it. Even when very small I would be very resistant to getting dressed and preferred to be in pyjamas all day just messing about. I think the longest I stayed inside was about a month but it just never bothered me. I would get into my own little rhythm and potter about, read a bit, listen to music, watch TV and not really feel like I was missing out on anything.
Anyone else like that now or when much younger?

Poe's Imp
05-24-15, 09:11 AM
This subject is of some importance to me at quite a fundamental level...is there really no-one else to whom this is meaningful? If not then I suppose my Aspie partner may be right...I really am a bit weirder than anyone she's ever met...and that is really saying something.

Little Missy
05-24-15, 09:20 AM
No Poe, I can be and have been the very same way. If I didn't have the drive or the opportunities I've been given, I'd be inside all of the time.

I love being in looking out. Sometimes just sniffing out the door is enough for me.

Today I am having a real struggle throwing on some mascara and heading out.

But I can hardly wait to get home.

stef
05-24-15, 09:24 AM
i can kind of relate, because while i MUSt go outside on a beautiful day, i dont want to do anything in particular excpet walk or read. i hate planned outdoor activities.
edit: now that i think about it my husband is much like this. but he diesnt have adhd.

Unmanagable
05-24-15, 12:57 PM
I was wide open when I was younger and didn't avoid the social scene in any form. Currently, as much as I love the outdoors and definitely benefit when I make it a point to get out in it, I have many days when I just don't want to interact with any other living thing, especially directly, due to having to try to reel in and deal with my own energy.

Corina86
05-24-15, 01:25 PM
Sorry, but I'm the exact opposite. I love anything outdoors in nature and I get depressed if I stay inside. Even on lousy weather I'd rather be out than in (extreme cold being the exception). I often take long walks by myself, because nobody I know loves walking as much as I do. I don't like being out in crowded places though- that's a huge stress-, but being by myself or with a small number of close friends/family in a forest or a garden is paradise for me.

acdc01
05-24-15, 06:34 PM
This is not an ADHD thing although your ADHD probably makes your reluctance to anything you don't like to do stronger.

I personally think parents should drag their kids kicking and screaming if they must to do outdoor activities that involve physical exertion.

Statistically, you're much more likely to prefer being an indoor couch potato if you were one when you were a kid. Maybe you're not a coach potato though and exercise indoors. If it helps, I think you're far from the only person who prefers the indoors - it's just not limited to ADHDers.

psychopathetic
05-24-15, 07:17 PM
hehe I think it was from one of sarahsweet's posts. It really cracked me up :lol:

ADHD PI-
Primarily indoors ;)

Poe's Imp
05-25-15, 10:05 AM
Thanks everyone for replying. I suppose my problem is that I became very studious as I reached my late teens despite having significant issues with concentration. Study has become my way of stimulation and it's very much an addiction. I get withdrawal symptoms if I'm not thinking about something at least vaguely studious. I certainly don't think this makes me better than those who don't read at all. It's more like a spiritual path I've chosen.
As for being a couch potato, well that's never really been me strictly speaking. Thankfully I was gifted genetically with a strong athletic ability which I could indulge in short bursts and get away with it. Not sure I can do this anymore now I'm in my 40s and there's some danger of couch potato setting in by default.
I suppose I like indoors for many, many reasons...perhaps one significant one is that there are far fewer distractions. Outside I feel bombarded with all kinds of noise. I've been chased indoors by overloud bird-song before. Definitely some extreme-ish sensory sensitivity going on.
Anyway thanks to all for answering the call. I was worried my thread was going to disappear completely.