View Full Version : Medication Query

sharkbaitza
05-28-15, 10:04 AM
Hi, I've just started on medication but am battling to get to the right dose. I'm quite a big guy, 124KG and nothing seems to work. I went up to 126mg of Concerta and have had no effect. The dosage does say 2mg/kg so in theory I should be able to take 240mg but the NHS in England is quite restrictive. They have now put me on Ritalin and I'm experimenting to see if it makes a difference as I can take a higher dose. I took 40mg this morning and felt a little better but nothing significant. I've now taken 50mg with the plan to go to 60mg tomorrow this doesn't work. Have anyone had any similar experiences or can give some advice?

Also, has anyone done any exercise on higher doses? I'm an endurance swimmer but have been nervous about putting in some hard training until I understand the effects better.

Thanks in advance for your help.

sarahsweets
05-29-15, 04:31 AM
Does your doctor want you to play around with the doses like this?

sharkbaitza
06-09-15, 01:26 PM
yes, I'm completely within the boundaries I discussed with him. I've now 'graduated' to 162mg Concerta per day (can take twice if I'm working in the evenings). I found that Ritalin was effective between 50-60mg twice a day. I took 70mg once but didn't like it.. A bit 'rushy'. Today was the 1st day on 162mg and I felt much better but it seems to only last me about 6 hours... not the 8-9 that it's meant to. I'm working late tonight so took a 2nd dose of 162mg after 7 hours. Technically I should have both still in my system but I'd noticed I was dropping down. An hour in and I'm back to what I guess is 'normal'. Still not exactly what I expected. I guess I was expecting a more 'Limitless' reaction lol...

I don't really notice a come on but i definitely notice coming off. And I had to wait a week with no pills because the pharmacy was out of stock and that I definitely noticed.

Pilgrim
06-09-15, 10:09 PM
If you notice the comedown it's definitely working. I've never heard of 162 Concerta. Hunk of the WORST thing before you started medication. Does it help this? Then it's working.
I'm about 100 kgs( a bit heavy for me, 195 cm) training is indespensaable. Endurance training the best. I'm not a dr though. I try to jog 5 KMs everyday.
Goodluck

sharkbaitza
06-10-15, 04:07 AM
Yeah, I swim... generally about 3-6km a session 3 to 4 times a week... not a very hectic pace though, pretty average.

Is it weird that I don't notice when I'm on but I notice when I'm off?

Powderbucket
06-10-15, 05:26 AM
Yeah, I swim... generally about 3-6km a session 3 to 4 times a week... not a very hectic pace though, pretty average.

Is it weird that I don't notice when I'm on but I notice when I'm off?

I've also never heard of 126mg Concerta myself. My pdoc said that she will never prescribe over 102mg, and has only precribed that dose once. Are you maybe using a generic?

Can you describe what "coming off" feels like for you?

My fitness has been a bit weird since I've been on my meds. My heart struggles a little more than it used to, and sometimes I feel quite sick if I run for a long time. I've had to make some adjustments in order to continue with my strict exercise regime. I listen to my body a lot more now.

sharkbaitza
06-18-15, 08:17 AM
I don't really notice 'coming off' so much as notice the difference once I'm off if that makes any sense... I actually haven't done any proper exercise since I started.

I've now been moved onto Elvanse for a week as I can take a higher dose... Let's see what happens...

Lunacie
06-18-15, 11:52 AM
With most meds, body weight does make a difference. Not so much with stimulants.

Dosage of stimulants seems to depend on metabolism.

Some kids need a large dose and some adults need a very small dose.

It's more about finding the right med at the right dose for the individual.

Concerta and Ritalin are versions of the same med.

Sometimes a different version will work better than another.

But sometimes a different med altogether is what works better.

Unfortunately in the UK you don't have access to some of the other meds.

sharkbaitza
07-27-15, 12:04 PM
so i've been using the Elvanse 70mg for about 6 weeks now... much better but I have to say, I don't think the dose is high enough... I've taken a 2nd 70mg a few times now, generally about 4/5 hours after taking the 1st and the concentration levels are ridiculous... This must be how it should be... I can literally sit and do 3 to 4 hours work on the same subject without realising it. I haven't taqken 140mg though... a bit nervous to do that... also, I have a 3 month supply but if I start taking 2, I will run out... I've had a few days on the weekend where I haven't taken any so that will help but I'm so hectic at work and really need to concentrate... It's had a really positive effect with the 2 tablets. I discovered this completely by accident. I was on site from 7am so I had taken one at 5:30am and the project over-ran so at about 4pm when I realised that I would be working into the night, I took another one... about 30min later, I hit this zone where I was unbelievable focussed. the only negative is that I have to take a sleeping pill to get to sleep if I take 2... not the end of the world but not ideal... As I'm only doing it a couple of times a week when required, I can live with that... Perhaps I need to take them both in the morning? It's the same thing I guess... Plus, I'm shifting to a new doctor so will probably have to go through the whole NHS/Safety/Blinders again... Oh well, at least I'm heading in the right direction...

sarahsweets
07-27-15, 01:39 PM
so i've been using the Elvanse 70mg for about 6 weeks now... much better but I have to say, I don't think the dose is high enough... I've taken a 2nd 70mg a few times now,

So you take an extra dose whenever you want?
generally about 4/5 hours after taking the 1st and the concentration levels are ridiculous... This must be how it should be... 140mg though... a bit nervous to do that.. if your doc didnt authorize this then its a no no.
. also, I have a 3 month supply but if I start taking 2, I will run out... I've had a few days on the weekend where I haven't taken any so that will help but I'm so hectic at work and really need to concentrate...
Meds are for much more than concentrating at work.
I discovered this completely by accident. I was on site from 7am so I had taken one at 5:30am and the project over-ran so at about 4pm when I realised that I would be working into the night, I took another one... about 30min later, I hit this zone where I was unbelievable focussed. hmmm sounds like misuse to me unless those were the directions from your doctor.
You cant medically supervise your medication yourself when it comes to deciding what doses are better and when. Medication comes with strict instructions and dosing and playing doctor only makes it hard for you and the doctor. I wish people would stop second guessing their medication instructions and follow through consistently and as prescribed.

Lunacie
07-27-15, 03:33 PM
Follow up to sarahsweet's post ...

If you think the dose is too low, it may be too low.

Check with your doctor about raising the dose.

Six weeks is long enough to know if it's working well or not.

DON'T do this on your own.