View Full Version : Journaling and ADHD

phazonConduit
05-30-15, 04:11 PM
What's your take on journaling and is it your preferred method of meditation?
I guess I should point out that I'm a year clean and sober and have been working a program and one of the suggestions in order to find some peace is journaling. Having all these racing thoughts and such is personally overwhelming and I guess there's a meditative aspect to journaling that comes through getting to write all those things down (at least some). Some peace of mind becomes established and then hopefully the mind slows down--I try not to let my ADHD define me, but I have to accept that I work differently, too, and what better way than writing?

I personally enjoy writing when I finally get to sit down in a quiet/calm/relaxing spot (maybe slightly caffeinated) and there is satisfaction in getting those feelings out. There are, however, some issues where ADHD has made it particularly difficult for me in keeping up with journaling because I see myself either not having the time, forgetting to do it, not being able to focus in writing rather than letting it become and overwhelming task that's then left ultimately unfinished because distractions get in the way.

So I guess this is a question as well, but how do I make journaling something more meditative and less strenuous? I strongly believe that this can be done and I do enjoy writing, so I want to be able to put the two together in order to get some relief. Plus, memories get recorded and forgetting them becomes less stressful. What do you all think?

Unmanagable
05-30-15, 06:58 PM
Huge congrats on your sobriety!!!

I tried to keep a single, specific journal to collect some thoughts, but it hasn't stuck for me yet, either. I bought the pretty one, the serious looking one, the fun looking one, and ended up with about 5 of them, with maybe up to a week or two written in each, tops.

Instead of trying that anymore, I keep a notebook with me on the go (along with a mandala coloring book and drawing pad because sometimes words just don't suffice), keep one at my bed, and have a notepad at every place I sit for any length of time. Plus, this forum is journal-like in many ways, depending on how much peeps like to share.

Ktown85
07-31-16, 01:29 PM
First of all, Congrats on your sobriety! I am currently in the process of sobriety (and doing great!)
About the journaling, that has always been huge for me, long before I ever knew anything about ADD/ADHD (I've struggled with it my entire life but was only diagnosed last week)
Anyway, I have quite the collection of old notebooks from middle/high school, filled with peoms, writings, song lyrics, drawings, etc.. and several current ones I still use now. Like Unmanageable says, I have one where ever I frequent, mostly by my main living room chair, and one in my purse at all times, along with supplies (pens, pencils, scissors, take, glue, etc..)
There are no rules to journaling. You can tear stuff out, glue stuff in, paint, glitter, glue, draw, write, whatever you want! Don't make it like a chore that you feel you have to do every day. If you feel inspired and have a moment, write (or draw or whatever )
In my opinion, being artistic and creative is the best quality of ADD/ADHD. Take advantage of that, not everyone is so lucky!

sarahsweets
08-01-16, 04:26 AM
What's your take on journaling and is it your preferred method of meditation?
I guess I should point out that I'm a year clean and sober and have been working a program and one of the suggestions in order to find some peace is journaling. Having all these racing thoughts and such is personally overwhelming and I guess there's a meditative aspect to journaling that comes through getting to write all those things down (at least some). Some peace of mind becomes established and then hopefully the mind slows down--I try not to let my ADHD define me, but I have to accept that I work differently, too, and what better way than writing?

I personally enjoy writing when I finally get to sit down in a quiet/calm/relaxing spot (maybe slightly caffeinated) and there is satisfaction in getting those feelings out. There are, however, some issues where ADHD has made it particularly difficult for me in keeping up with journaling because I see myself either not having the time, forgetting to do it, not being able to focus in writing rather than letting it become and overwhelming task that's then left ultimately unfinished because distractions get in the way.

So I guess this is a question as well, but how do I make journaling something more meditative and less strenuous? I strongly believe that this can be done and I do enjoy writing, so I want to be able to put the two together in order to get some relief. Plus, memories get recorded and forgetting them becomes less stressful. What do you all think?

Congrats on your sobriety. I have almost 4 years. I hear you on the journal thing. I cant even tell you the amounts of $$ I have spent on pens, special notebooks, gold-leaf pages...only to have them collect dust. I look forward to hearing other people's suggestions too.

Pilgrim
08-01-16, 08:43 PM
One thing about the journal lay thing that I dint like was forgetting things that would come to me at different times of the day.

I always carry my book around with me.

stef
08-02-16, 09:47 AM
I used to do a lot of writing in journals through college and then off and on;
at some point I started buying agendas every year (I really didnt have a ton of appointments or anything, but it seemed like a good idea...)
but then instead of noting things to do I ended up writing what had happened on the days. which i ended up noting in small notebooks finally as i never used agendas.

I pretty much stopped that for almost a year and then the other day I saw this businessman type writing and then i saw it was actually a journal, he wasnt drafting a document or something and i realized i'd missed that so I bought a really lovely notebook to use when i have time and i found a little marble covered composition notebook i had bought ages ago at walgreens, that i now keep in my purse if anyting strikes me. I used to write before coming in to work but now i have coffee with people (seriously its like the french version of Cheers).

omg i am jouirnaling now in the journaling thread sorry :)

Fuzzy12
08-02-16, 01:08 PM
I went through phases as a kid and teenager where I almost wrote daily in my journal. It was a huge support as I didn't really have anyone to talk about a lot of things that occupied my mind. It was like talking to my best friend. I stopped completely in my early twenties and never got back into it.

Now I just write on addf I guess. :scratch:

Maybe you could set aside a particular time every day (or once a week) where you sit down win a quiet and relaxing place with a nice cup of coffee and just let your thoughts run wild without trying to focus on any particular topic.