View Full Version : Whoa... could this medication be the solution for inattentive ADD?

Optimist25
06-04-15, 12:04 PM
"Within 15 minutes of placing the tablets under my tongue, that wall that I felt lived in my brain my entire life was just gone," Hulshizer says. "It crumbled and I was able to think clearly and communicate and talk and hold a conversation with somebody without having to look at them.
"It was incredible -- it actually made me feel for the first time like I was alive."
"no matter how much 'acceleration' is applied from stimulants, the parking brake is still on"

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/22/health/hypersomnia-woman-always-tired/

Please watch the video in the link above. The similarities between this woman's experiences and many of us who struggle with ADD inattentive are amazing.

For many of us with inattentive ADD, it takes several hours or alllllll day to feel like we're up and running properly (for some of us it doesn't seem to come at all some days). It is only in the late afternoon, evening, and night that we begin to feel more mentally clear, motivated, focused, competent, and basically more like a normal person.

Perhaps our fogginess/sluggishness is just a less severe issue of what this woman has? Perhaps the naturally occuring sedative in the brain (GABA) hasn't cleared out properly and that's why we don't respond as well to stimulants or have the hyperactivity of those with ADHD...

Perhaps the "parking brake" is the real issue, not the "acceleration".....

Hulshizer now takes Flumazenil in the form of a slow-release skin cream. It helps her feel awake -- not just stay awake.

Skyf@ll
06-04-15, 12:16 PM
Worth a shot....sign me up boss!!

However I don't think they would prescribe to ADHD patients without going through years of testing etc.

Plus I've seen so many articles in the paper, possible cure for .......in 2 years time........ten years later nothing.

The Dailymail is the worst for it. If their not telling you the world is gonna end soon, they are saying there will be a cure for cancer next week!

Donny997
06-04-15, 10:43 PM
Thanks for posting this!

Ever since learning about neurotransmitters, I've always thought I had an excess of GABA.

sarahsweets
06-24-15, 09:07 AM
Is there a read only version? if its not a cat video I have a hard time watching. Opinion wise, based on the responses, I am always much better morning through early afternoon, Evenings are my worst.

jman05
06-28-15, 08:40 PM
Strattera was my solution :)

Donny997
06-28-15, 09:36 PM
Is there a read only version? if its not a cat video I have a hard time watching. Opinion wise, based on the responses, I am always much better morning through early afternoon, Evenings are my worst.

You feel more energized in the morning? I'm the opposite lol - feel drunk-like for the first couple hours every morning.

tomsawyr
08-02-15, 11:10 PM
Optimist, sounds like you want some modafinil. It wakes you up, but without a stimulant robot-driven feeling.

It is a prescription drug. I asked my pdoc about it, and she doesn't want to mix it with adderall. I'm sorry, but adderall doesn't keep me awake - not without taking too much.

You can legally buy a compound called adrafinil, which metabolizes into modafinil in the liver. I use it every once in a while when my work (truck driver) makes me have a long day. I don't think it is nice to the liver, tho.

4rch0n4n6313
08-02-15, 11:47 PM
Is that the stupid limitless pill?

NateDEEzy
08-03-15, 06:29 PM
Has anyone tried this?

Greyhound1
08-03-15, 07:32 PM
I have tried Provigil. It seemed to make me nervous when on Adderall.

I tried taking it alone and it felt like a mild Stimulant. Didn't provide as much focus or stimulation as Adderall. It didn't really help to wake me up. I think it's used more to stay awake. I felt better on Adderall by itself.

tomsawyr
08-04-15, 01:47 AM
I heard it was designed to be used for cops or military to keep them up if they have to work too long. Sounds plausible.
I've also heard it has a so-called reverse tolerance. In other words, you have to take it once or twice before it really works. Anyone remember not getting high on your first (legally smoked) joint? Something like that.

Donny997
08-10-15, 10:04 PM
The article is about a GABA antagonist, though. According to the article, Modafinil, like any other stimulant, would be like trying to "rev up the brain while the parking brake (excess gaba) is on)"

4rch0n4n6313
08-11-15, 12:41 AM
I think the only way to take the parking brake off is through strict diet,,,,catch 22..especially when the parking break is stuck for apparently no reason...
I wonder if thats why my adderall doesnt work right all the time.

ADifferentDrum
09-13-15, 03:19 PM
Pressing the gas pedal while the parking brake is on is a brilliant analogy to describe why stimulants don't work as well for inattentive ADD/SCT. A quick Wikipedia search on the med flumazepil says that it's the only GABA-A antagonist available today. The woman says that she felt that her mind's wall opened up within 15 minutes after putting the tablet under her tongue. This is good news that it works sublingually for hypersomnia because it's usually administered by IV.