View Full Version : Does Anybody Take Anything To Help With Sleep

ChestRockwellNY
06-04-15, 02:02 PM
Like a lot of ADD'ers, I am not a morning person and kind of drag butt during the day. Then once I get home from work and night time hits, I am wide awake and more productive than I had been all day. I try to go to bed at around 11-11:30 (my alarm goes off at 7:30 in the morning) but realistically I am not falling asleep until around 1am.

When my alarm goes off I have to hit snooze about 3 times and I usually get out of bed around 8, meanwhile I should be getting out around 7:50 because I need that extra 10 minutes to get ready. I am usually about 5 minutes late to work everyday. Nothing horrible and honestly, not much more than that, but it is consistent.

I honestly think this is contributing to my ADD, and feel that I probably need about 8 hours of sleep a night. Does anybody take anything that helps them sleep and feel good when they wake up in the morning? Any suggestions would be TREMENDOUS!

Thanks in advance! Your buddy in ADHD lunacy! Chest

Drogheda
06-04-15, 02:24 PM
I sometimes take .75 mg clonopen about an hour before I want to go to sleep. I try to vary the usage, both dose and if I do at all.

a couple of keys I have found to sleep is it's mostly when you wake up. you can find more info on google about this if you search, but after about a week or 3 of waking up at the same time (even if that means just getting up and starting the day even if you are dead tired) well rewire your pattern from the behind.

when you first get up go outside and get some sun and look at the sky, the vitamen D we get from the sun (well make from the energy) and the photo-receptor activity in our eye from the blue light is like 2 switches in your head saying... time to wake up. it's weird, but I usually do yoga outside then sunbath for ten minutes, then look at the blue sky. you really do start to feel more awake.

vitamen D is also important in producing our natural stuff that makes us sleepy through the day. many people who have ****ty sleep patterns have like 10% of the amount of vitamen D they should have.

also telling yourself this is the end of the day, saying goodnight to someone you care about. feeling, but not overdoing, how good relaxation is. there is a sort of mental game we can start playing, even though like all of them it takes a while to get into.

I'm no prodigy, but I did have a while at the end of last summer were my sleep schedule was excellent, it's getting back to that. but I would def set an alarm and KEEP the alarm set for that time (or maybee move it down an hour and allow the process to extend a bit more so you don't have as much lag)

Lunacie
06-04-15, 03:56 PM
Some find that melatonin helps them sleep.

A few years ago I began taking a small dose of Trazadone for sleep.
Worked welll for me. After a few months I was able to stop taking it
and still able to get to sleep, or get back to sleep if I woke in the night.

sarahsweets
06-05-15, 05:40 PM
I have rattled on about sleep hygeine so much here I know I sound like a broken record but sleep hygenine is essential.

Twiggy
06-05-15, 09:55 PM
I do some exercise in the day to get to sleep easier at night.

Amtram
06-25-15, 03:10 PM
Xanax. Anxiety and brain chatter keep me awake, and this is the only thing that works. Can't take too much, though, or I'm still drowsy for hours after I wake up.

Skyf@ll
06-25-15, 03:58 PM
That snooze button is a killer. Can't be good falling asleep-waking-sleeping-waking all within a short space of time.

Why don't you try smelling salts to wake you? I've not tried them myself, but they have great reviews on a certain online shopping site....and there cheap. In fact I'm going to order them just now, I've talked myself into it lol

BellaVita
06-25-15, 04:08 PM
I've been on 7 diff medications for sleep....

Trazodone and Clonazepam worked the best for me.

Skyf@ll
06-25-15, 04:10 PM
Smelling salts ordered!

Unmanagable
06-25-15, 04:29 PM
Radical nutritional change, increased purposeful movement, valerian root tea, breathing techniques, a fan, and a sound machine works for me now that I have less outside obligations.

I previously had to take xanax and ambien together to even think about falling and staying asleep while working swing shifts, being undiagnosed, going to school, and juggling caring for others. I had a sleep study done, too, to rule out sleep apnea, etc. The doc gave me another sample of something else to try, but I can't remember what it was. It wasn't effective.

The ambien and xanax definitely helped me sleep, but didn't do much in the way of helping me ever feel like I had a refreshing healthy sleep. Although I didn't really have an idea of what a healthy refreshing sleep even felt like, until recently, to compare it to. I remember always feeling incredibly groggy upon waking and wanting to go right back to sleep. Now I can't make myself sleep unless I'm genuinely tired, or having a healing crisis day.

I have to use a gradual alarm to wake up to. The sound starts off really subtle and increases over time. The loud obnoxious ones send me directly into a fight or flight mode........and that's a really harsh way to introduce yourself to the day.....and creates a mood that isn't very warm and welcoming to the others I have to interact with.

Lunacie
06-25-15, 06:50 PM
I've read the idea that this isn't a natural sleep cycle for humans.

Those in other parts of the world often take a nap/siesta after lunch
for a few hours, and sleep less than 8 hours at night.

I'm willing to be a guinea pig and try it. ;)

Powderbucket
06-26-15, 03:16 AM
I'm trying to stay away from the harder meds for sleep, but I have tried Melatonin. I take it about an hour before I fall asleep, and it really makes me tired. Unfortunately, it can give you a slight headache in the morning, and if you don't manage to sleep while it's in your system you can wake up feeling pretty bad.

Now, I try exercise because that really gets me tired later on. I also avoid screens (TV, etc) just before bed. I drink chamomile tea, and will just lie in bed reading or chatting for a while - gets me in the sleep zone.

OH, and getting 7 or more hours of sleep is vital for me, especially with taking stimulant meds.

midnightstar
07-05-15, 02:04 PM
For a short while I used Kalms herbal tablet things to help me sleep (then promptly found out they didn't work for me) :rolleyes:

Greyhound1
08-07-15, 07:08 PM
I take Trazodone or Restoril occasionally when needed.

The Trazodone makes me sleep the deepest and soundist. The key with it I found is to take it about 3 hours before bed and eat a small meal of carbs soon after taking. If I take it just before bed it's very hard to get up in the morning. It's very powerful and doesn't take much.

The Restoril also works well. I don't sleep as deeply but feel a bit more refreshed in the morning. The problem I found with it though, is that it can back fire on me. If I wait more then about 45 mins. to go to bed it can keep me up all night tossing and turning.

Daydreamin22
08-07-15, 08:47 PM
I take Trazidone. It helps. I can almost always count on sleep.

aeon
08-09-15, 05:12 PM
Proper sleep hygiene plus melatonin, then later in treatment, plus mirtazapine and trazodone.

dvdnvwls
08-09-15, 05:56 PM
There is a large group of people who all need exactly the same amount of sleep, which is "Just 10 more minutes". :)

Of course you can set your alarm for 7:20, and that might improve things a little bit.

But what it sounds to me like you really need is to move your "realistically I am not falling asleep until" time quite a bit earlier. That means (and let's say you decided to change it by an hour) whatever you are currently doing each night at 9 PM has to get moved to 8, whatever you've been doing at 10 needs to move to 9, and so on. You won't just suddenly quit your routines, you know that - though it may take a few moments to admit it. :)

This means there is going to be an hour (or whatever) of activity cut out of your night each night, and (if you're like me) an adjustment period where for several days your evening is completely dysfunctional until you get used to a new schedule.