View Full Version : DEPAKOTE??? Are you KIDDING me???

GCTB74
06-10-15, 05:40 AM
Just got prescribed my NINTH medication after the previous 8 have all failed to work. As I've joked before...Every drug I've been prescribed may as well been a box of Tic-Tacs because they would have had the same effect...which is NO effect at ALL!

So 2 days ago, after drug number 8 was a complete failure (Trileptal) and I had zero reaction (after over 1 MONTH of 1,800 MG's a day!) I was now prescribed Depakote. Apparently My therapist and Dr. both thought the root of my many problems was all linked to my ADHD, but now they believe my odd behaviors are all the fault of my semi-recent diagnosis of being Manic Bi-Polar. So after the Trileptal was deemed useless, he gives me DEPAKOTE. I thought it was odd that this was the first time he didn't tell me any side effects like he usually does, but I went home, optimistically picked up the 'script and do what I usually do...Google and Youtube the heck out of it for other people's reviews and reactions before I take it.

OH-MY-HOLY-CHRIST! I'm starting to think my Dr. is slowly trying to kill me. This medication is INSANE! It's a drug they should use to torture people! Forget lethal injection, just give death row inmates Depakote!

And here's the thing...I haven't even TAKEN it yet! STILL in the stapled shut bag inside the never opened bottle hidden in a drawer! I don't want to go NEAR that POISON after reading the reviews, reactions, and YouTube videos on it!!!!!

THESE are the side effects (and they are almost a certain guarantee!) Weight gain...30-50 pound weight gain is "the norm!"...WHAT? I JUST got myself down to my perfect weight. 170 (I'm 5'11) I work out, exercise, walk every day, eat right and FINALLY look good and all my friends and family compliment me daily on how great I look. And just in time for summer...

Now I'm given this HORRID drug that causes (1) Massive weight gain (2) HAIR LOSS (and I have a full head of thick hair!) and the worst? is known in MANY cases to cause severe liver damage!!! I did not find ONE GOOD REVIEW on this terrible drug! All I found were a LOT of "Depakote Lawsuits" and horror stories from men AND women who's hair fell out in CLUMPS! Not to mention another guy who never drank alcohol, but his liver was about to fail due to his years on Depakote!!

SO I am NOT taking it! I don't even want to LOOK at it! I DID read many reviews that ended in "Oh, the drug actually relieved my bi-polar 100%...but now I'm morbidly obese and bald and depressed about how awful I look!"

WHY would my Dr. give me something that's going to ruin ALL the hard work I did to get myself all tone and in shape and make me fat and bald with a pickled liver???

I guess my point to all this is, has anyone on here ever taken Depakote?? Can ANYONE give it a good review that doesn't involve you ending up looking like Sloth from "Goonies?" I 100% agreed with one You Tuber who said he'd rather just stay bi-polar than gain 50 pounds and lose his hair! The depression and anxiety I ALREADY have would (untreated) would get WORSE!

SO I called (the day I got the medication and then read about it) the Dr. and told him I refuse to take it and he hasn't even called back. And he's usually good with that. So now I'm back to UNTREATED mental problems and having to await drug number TEN if my Dr. ever decides to return my phone call!

OK, end rant! lol

Abi
06-10-15, 05:51 AM
I've taken depakote for about 7 years now (900 mg)

It relieves my mania very well.

And yes, I'm morbidly obese and bald now. :-)

GCTB74
06-10-15, 03:18 PM
Wait, was the last part a joke? Or are you serious? Did it really have those side effects?

Abi
06-10-15, 03:46 PM
I'm serious, I gained about 50 lbs in my first three years on Depakote. I've since lost some of it from diet and exercise. I gained over 30 more lbs in 2 MONTHS on Risperdal, mostly water weight.

And yes I lost all my hair except on the back and sides, I'm 33.

It also caused severe tooth decay and I'm spending a fortune on cosmetic dentistry.

GCTB74
06-11-15, 12:18 AM
Oh my god I'd just live with my Bi-Polar. My doc said he wants me to take it and if I gain 5 lbs in the next week he'll give me a new drug. He said the weight gain/hair loss happens really fast, so the second It starts I'm going off it!

BellaVita
06-11-15, 01:38 AM
I would never want to be on Depakote.

The worst thing I've EVER been on was Haldol. (Given through IV) Now THAT was torture.

GCTB74
06-11-15, 02:25 AM
What IS a good Bi Polar drug? I also have massive ADHD and Both Adderall and Ritalin had zero effect on me (in high doses) So I have no idea how drugs work or make you feel. I have also been on 5 MG's of Klonopin (IN ONE DOSE) and felt nothing, while friends of mine have passed out on ONE mg! Others said they'd be comatose if they took 5 Mg's. Meanwhile I feel nothing...and now I'm going to feel nothing and be fat and bald on Depakote.

On a side not, my dr. said "Those side effects only happen in 10% of people who take it! It is VERY unlikely!! You are reading all the whiny people who got the side effect and are just angry and want to vent! It would be like going to a 5 star restaurant with amazing food, but a few people didn't like it so they go online and say "It's the worst restaurant on earth! The food is toxic!"

BellaVita
06-11-15, 02:36 AM
What IS a good Bi Polar drug? I also have massive ADHD and Both Adderall and Ritalin had zero effect on me (in high doses) So I have no idea how drugs work or make you feel. I have also been on 5 MG's of Klonopin (IN ONE DOSE) and felt nothing, while friends of mine have passed out on ONE mg! Others said they'd be comatose if they took 5 Mg's. Meanwhile I feel nothing...and now I'm going to feel nothing and be fat and bald on Depakote.

On a side not, my dr. said "Those side effects only happen in 10% of people who take it! It is VERY unlikely!! You are reading all the whiny people who got the side effect and are just angry and want to vent! It would be like going to a 5 star restaurant with amazing food, but a few people didn't like it so they go online and say "It's the worst restaurant on earth! The food is toxic!"

I think sarahsweets takes Geodon, and she says it really works for her.

Maybe she'll comment on this thread.

Have you tried that before?

sarahsweets
06-11-15, 04:25 AM
Yes, I am biplar and have been on meds since my 20's. after my last and hopefully final inpatient stay, I was put on a cocktail of cymbala, lamictal and geodon. It saved mt life.

GCTB74
06-11-15, 11:41 PM
I'm serious, I gained about 50 lbs in my first three years on Depakote. I've since lost some of it from diet and exercise. I gained over 30 more lbs in 2 MONTHS on Risperdal, mostly water weight.

And yes I lost all my hair except on the back and sides, I'm 33.

It also caused severe tooth decay and I'm spending a fortune on cosmetic dentistry.

So, did the Depakote make you hungry and want to eat all the time and that caused the weight gain? Or did it just make you pack on pounds naturally without even over eating?

Abi
06-12-15, 03:07 PM
Both.

Andi
06-12-15, 06:47 PM
My DX was established once my pdoc doubled my antidepressant which caused me to go manic. At that time he put me on Zyprexa which brought me down from the high but severe memory loss and severe weight gain. He then tried Lithium which continued the memory loss and I continued down my zombie path. He added Lamictal and things began to perk up a little but he took me off the Lithium, because we couldn't get it regulated, and put me on Geodon. I lost weight but was a zombie still. Basically lost weight because I slept more than I was awake. Stayed on that cocktail for about a year until he changed me to Abilify. It had just hit the market. It was a lifesaver for me. I gained weight but I was awake and alert, and could function but I had no emotions. Grandfathered past away while I was on it and I couldn't cry. I knew I should but couldn't. (we were very close and I do cry about it now, miss him terribly).

What Abilify did for me was bring me out of my deep, dark depression that none of the other meds could do. I took it for several months until I began to have swelling in my extremities and the lack of emotion; no happiness, no anger, no sadness...problematic. So I went back and have been on my final cocktail for several years now; Lamictal and Geodon. If I had not taken the Zyprexa or Abilify, despite the weight gain, who knows how long I would have stayed in my spiral or the deep, dark hole I was in. Both of these meds served a temporary purpose...stop the madness. Once I was stable, the Lamictal and Geodon could do their job...maintain stability.

My only issue with weight gain now has been the on-off addition of Lyrica. I also have FMS. Amazing stuff, man do I feel amazing on it, but boy do I hate everyone and the fits I throw...oy. But with each attempt to add it I had put on weight and the thing you learn about med changes, the weight comes on quickly but nowhere near as easy to get it off. I say this as an example that trying a med can give both negative and positive experiences, you will have to try in order to discover if it is the right med for you.

Perhaps give it a shot before you toss it to the curb. You've tried so many now, what's one more?

Lizzie80
06-16-15, 03:01 AM

The two I need, and both I would suggest as last-resort meds only, are Tramadol and Lyrica. I wish to God I needed neither. Tramadol can be addictive, has the sort of withdrawal you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy, and is increasingly (however ineffectively) the target of America's favourite money pit- otherwise known as The War on Drugs. Nonetheless, I cannot tell you how much pain and depression relief it has brought me over the years. It helps motivation and focus a tad. Although it affects both serotonin and norepinephrine, it seems to have none of the black-box warning stuff leading to suicidal ideation, perhaps because it also works on opioid receptor(s). I don't know all the science, that is my rough detail on it. I don't really care at this point that I cannot go off of it. My life was such crap before, I accept that it's for life. That said, I stick to 200 mg a day, max. I take less if I can do so that day. This stuff ain't to be toyed with.

Lyrica, massive love/hate relationship there. The weight gain is absurd. Keep in mind obesity is already present for me, but I put on 80 lbs from that crap back in the day. Now...my Vyvanse (a med much later added to my regimen) DOES currently prevent this side effect, FOR ME. Vyvanse helped me lose that 80 plus 80 more. (It may not prevent that weight gain for everyone.) You MUST eat minimally and healthfully + exercise vigorously and frequently, as well. I would love to drop Lyrica, but my joints would be screaming without it. The afternoon Vyvanse comedown would be sheer hell sans Lyrica, too. Oddly, Lyrica also entirely prevents the heavy sweating Vyvanse induces in me, yet doesn't negatively affect Vyvanse in any way.

I don't have a freaking clue why it works, although I know it affects a GABA part of the brain. It is different from benzos, both in MOA and feeling. Lyrica is like Valium, the best part of an antidepressant, and the single biggest pain reliever rolled into one for me. However, it makes short- and long-term memory horrid in some people. I'm pretty young, but I still notice this effect a tad. If one can do without it, stay off it. If you are at your wit's end with muscle, joint or nerve pain, if benzos and AD's have failed to relieve anxiety or depression or insomnia, if you take a stimulant strong enough to overcome the weight gain (or are underweight), then it's worth trying. Like almost anything that strong, it also has withdrawal symptoms if discontinued, although I personally consider it nothing compared to Tramadol withdrawal.

These are strictly my experiences, I am not medically trained, and I in no way endorse these drugs. Their very long-term side effects are essentially unknown. The benefits outweigh the side effects and dependence for me.

sarahsweets
06-24-15, 06:52 AM
Once of the things with trammadol is the seizure risk. It lowers your seizure threshold. I know I am not allowed to take it because of the cymbalta I take, the risk of seratonin syndrome is very high. Like Lizzie said, the drugs she mentioned are not typically prescribed for what you need and I advise you to try another route.

USMC
09-23-15, 06:05 PM
I think I was on 1200 mg of Depakote for my seizures. The only thing I didn't like about it is that it can cause bad seizures if you stop taking it suddenly. I had two seizures in one night after a couple of missed doses. And, according to what I've read, it can cause seizures after sudden withdrawal even if the person has had no history of seizures. I also experienced a little bit of weight gain, but it wasn't nearly as bad as when I started taking Zyprexa. That was a horrible experience for me, much worse than Depakote. I slept about 14-16 hours a day, gained 60 lbs and developed diabetes and high cholesterol within a few months. I personally like the typical antipsychotics. Although they can cause movement disorders, they haven't done that for me, and they're not supposed to cause the massive weight gain like the atypicals. The only problem with all these antipsychotics though is that it seems they interfere with ADHD meds. My Ritalin seems to do nothing for me when I'm on the Haldol. Every med can have bad side effects, which is why I don't usually look up the medication on the internet before I start taking it. Everyone has different reactions to different meds. And if you have in your mind that a side effect is going to happen, it seems like it increases the chances that you'll experience it. The mind is very powerful.

InvitroCanibal
10-15-15, 09:17 PM
Lithium is typically the gold standard for bipolar from what my doc tells me. At .6 to 1.5 mmls

Adjuncts to meds typically need to be diet and exercise related, especially omega 3,6,9 in high doses.

I take lamotrigine with sub therapeutic levels of lithium because lower doses of lithium act as an anti depressant but is imo safer than an anti depressant.

Ill double check but I believe Ive read that lamotrigine and lithium have a synergistic effect that makes them more effective together. Same with lithium and depakote.

A lot of what works depends on the cause of the bipolar as well as how it is expressed. Bipolar 2 Mixed episodes are the hardest to treat because it may be different all together. The research is still coming.

One thing is certain that consistent sleep, diet, exercise, along with a high fat ketogenic diet seems to help a lot. The ketogenic diet has some amazing evidence behind it and it is being backed by clinical research. It isn't a fad diet so please look into it.

TangledWebs
10-15-15, 11:01 PM
I was misdiagnosed with Bipolar II and I was on Lamictal. I didn't experience any negative side effects. I actually lost weight.