View Full Version : The eternal circle of "right single dosage" and "is it working?how to tell" concerns!

chivalrouspal
06-11-15, 07:12 AM
I'm newly diagnosed, 32 yrs old,on dex short acting pills 4th week...(sorry for repeating myself but yeah in case readers are forum guests some years from now).
My own concern and 100s others as well.. Is the initial morning dose you get that makes you feel "well being, calm" no social anxiety and no headaches and the urge to be racy/restless is gone.
(i won't speak of focus and motivation because they are subtle i can't feel anything but strangely yeah i`m overall much better in getting stuff done than before.)

10 mg in the morning and by far that was my best dose but occasionally after a couple of days on them i might just get palpitations! below 100 but they happen still around 11 pm at night over 8 hours after my last dose!.. (occasionally though)

On this dose of 10mg/morning i`m also enjoying conversations but still i get that circle of palpitations/anxiety (they are both attributed) let alone that time when i had a coffee in a lecture i attended(which is stopped sure).

So now i`m on 5mg in the morning (falling back to experiment) but it won't really last or even give me anything in particular.... and today it gave me Headaches???!!! gahhh that dex is crazy and Adhd control as well :D

So to cut it short into question :
1-Whats is your good initial "kick-in"dose in the morning? how did you know?
2- how did you adjust the dose overtime how could you tell if its low/high??
3- i didn't go anything higher than 10 mg/morning (20 mg/day) because i'm capped at 30... would you try to reach the cap if 20 is good 70% of the days?
4-Do you stop for a day or 2 in between,especially if you woke up feeling good and active??? cause some days after got the medication i felt worse!also my doctor told me to stop a couple of days from time to time. like weekends etc.

My appointment with my doctor is 17/6 so i hoped experimenting for 4 weeks would at least give me some insight to discuss with him.

sarahsweets
06-17-15, 04:40 AM
1-Whats is your good initial "kick-in"dose in the morning? how did you know?

I took dexedrine for 7 years and am back on it. 7 years ago it was 15mg spansules twice a day. Now I am on a total of 45; 10mg spansule and 1 5mg ir three times a day.
2- how did you adjust the dose overtime how could you tell if its low/high??
I titrated slow as per my doctor and once I felt like the majority of the time my symptoms were better, thats when I knew I was on the right dose.
3- i didn't go anything higher than 10 mg/morning (20 mg/day) because i'm capped at 30... would you try to reach the cap if 20 is good 70% of the days?
When you say capped at 30 do you mean 10mg 3x a day? Obviously if 20mg mostly works thats the better option, Less is always more.
4-Do you stop for a day or 2 in between,especially if you woke up feeling good and active??? cause some days after got the medication i felt worse!also my doctor told me to stop a couple of days from time to time. like weekends etc.
I am a morning person and my first dose combined with that always makes the mornings my best time. And I know that alot of people swear by med breaks but for me, and per my doctor, my adhd is severe enough that med breaks are not good for me. I function significantly worse unmedicated. I know for me, the xr/ir combo works best because the xr lasts about 4 hours and the small ir boost sort of kicks things into gear. Also consistency is key. I take my meds at the same time everyday like clockwork. I have an elaborate amazing pill organizer thats better than anything I ever saw in a pharmacy and its saved my as*. What is the dosing schedule your doctor wants you to be on? Be careful not to expect the angels to sing and fairies to flutter forever with your meds, You do have initial euphoria but that fades-and its meant to- so that all you will notice is that most times on most days, most of your symptoms are under control.

Pilgrim
06-17-15, 05:42 AM
A lot of what Sarah said.
I kick off with 10 mg in the morning. 5 mg midday. Last dose 3 pm.
plenty of sleep and water.
You will get some anxiety in the beginning. Goodluck

chivalrouspal
06-23-15, 10:11 AM
Sarah you are a helpful social butterfly, and your massive forum contribution says much, love love people like you dedicating a part of their time in forums supporting 1000s of humans.

So yeah i'm on the right dose now (12.5 mg made me really quite Happy i don't know what a real euphoria is but i`m focused and willing to do stuff!) and it lasted for hours.
Notice though i'm on 12.5 mg TWICE (i used to drop the 2nd.... if you noticed i'm only obsessed about the best single dose regardless of repetitions!) ,i`m thinking of meds as coffee but yes i red that might not have good results.
atm i`m messy with the timely manner and also skipping the 2nd dose entirely sometimes(due to taking the 1st so late)... but on days with 12.5+12.5 or 12.5+10 its my best. :)
And the 30 cap is in australia (i`m a migrant actually) anything higher than that might need different permissions...
My doctor is a genius although practical to some extent, when i told him i ceased at 10 mg X2 he told me try elevating to 12.5X2 and even 15mgX2(Max) and see what happens.

@pilgrim "messy at quoting sry :)" I totally can notice both... but i was curious with frequent urination under dexa are you losing more water than without dexa though the day?
I just simplify the dopamine and stimulation that the machine needs more healthier life to keep you getting medication reward! and also eating well and practising a little bit.