View Full Version : Visual Snow

Kewell35
06-11-15, 02:26 PM
After 1 year of taking Adderall, I started to see a lot of static when looking at anything. I've visited Ophthalmologists and Neurologists and no one can find anything pathological but it seems to a pseudo-recognized disorder after researching on the internet.

Does anyone else have this? And has anyone noticed any connection to their ADHD medications? I'm trying to figure out if Adderall caused this.

Headroom
06-11-15, 03:26 PM
Well, that's what made me visit a psychiatrist in the first place. Visual snow, lack of depth perception, sparkles on the walls, and muted sounds as if I was under water. And due to the feeling of being removed from reality brought on by this distortion of perception, a side-effect of not feeling time passing by. It's only a movie that actually lasted ** years. :) Like you, I have also visited ophthalmologists and neurologists who found zilch.
These symptoms are under umbrella of derealisation and HPPD and are "refractory to treatment". At this point I tried everything in recommended arsenal, but Keppra, Naloxone and Naltrexone.
Nopramin made marginal improvement and later the combination of bupropion and pemoline helped a great deal. That's what I am taking now.

There a line of thinking today that smoking pot can bring it on. I only tried it less than 10 times before this condition took over. Mainly because it would ruin my short term memory. Is this something you could relate to?

Kewell35
06-11-15, 03:54 PM
Well, that's what made me visit a psychiatrist in the first place. Visual snow, lack of depth perception, sparkles on the walls, and muted sounds as if I was under water. And due to the feeling of being removed from reality brought on by this distortion of perception, a side-effect of not feeling time passing by. It's only a movie that actually lasted ** years. :) Like you, I have also visited ophthalmologists and neurologists who found zilch.
These symptoms are under umbrella of derealisation and HPPD and are "refractory to treatment". At this point I tried everything in recommended arsenal, but Keppra, Naloxone and Naltrexone.
Nopramin made marginal improvement and later the combination of bupropion and pemoline helped a great deal. That's what I am taking now.

There a line of thinking today that smoking pot can bring it on. I only tried it less than 10 times before this condition took over. Mainly because it would ruin my short term memory. Is this something you could relate to?

I get Visual Snow, no lack of depth perception and no muted sounds as if under water.

I also don't get the derealization thing at all but I know it's associated at times with Visual Snow. Can you explain how exactly you feel with the derealization?

It's strange that Bupropion helped you (because it works on adrenaline and dopamine) just like Adderall. I'm thinking the Adderall actually caused mine because it's really the only thing that I'm taking. I have never smoked pot before, so it's kinda strange.

How much has your visual snow been reduced? Is it almost non-existent now?

Headroom
06-11-15, 04:16 PM
I get Visual Snow, no lack of depth perception and no muted sounds as if under water.

I also don't get the derealization thing at all but I know it's associated at times with Visual Snow. Can you explain how exactly you feel with the derealization?

It's strange that Bupropion helped you (because it works on adrenaline and dopamine) just like Adderall. I'm thinking the Adderall actually caused mine because it's really the only thing that I'm taking. I have never smoked pot before, so it's kinda strange.

How much has your visual snow been reduced? Is it almost non-existent now?

Yes, there is very little of it. But it's the full 3D that makes the greatest difference. It's very different between knowing that people are there and feeling their immediacy. Life looms large.

Bupropion has a very different dopamine and adrenaline receptor affinity profile from Adderall and there is a wide difference between releasers and reuptake inhibitors. I don't react well to dopamine releasers. It seems that pemoline somehow makes the slightly raised amount of dopamine created by bupropion work in a better way without overloading the circuits like amphetamines/ritalin/etc do.

Headroom
06-11-15, 04:28 PM
It almost sounds like you brain amplifies floaters. Floaters are considered normal occurrences, but you might be more sensitive to them.

Kewell35
06-11-15, 06:42 PM
It almost sounds like you brain amplifies floaters. Floaters are considered normal occurrences, but you might be more sensitive to them.

Hmmm...so it's floaters I'm seeing as static then. Interesting.

alexfled
06-12-15, 11:03 PM
I have the same problem. It's been bugging the hell out of me over the years and nobody had the answer.

sarahsweets
06-16-15, 04:40 AM
WTH does static look like?

Kewell35
11-09-15, 03:53 PM
WTH does static look like?

Like dots floating around.

aeon
11-09-15, 05:30 PM
...and later the combination of bupropion and pemoline helped a great deal. That's what I am taking now.

How is that possible? Pemoline (Cylert) was withdrawn from the US market years ago.

Wondering,
Ian