View Full Version : Intermediate Algebra is terrible! Rant!

finallyfound10
06-12-15, 08:45 PM
I'm taking stupid intermediate algebra at community college and not doing well.

The ADHD, Dyscalculia and the fact it's only an 8 week summer course is a trifecta of disaster! It has to be done this way so I can take Statistics in the Fall if I want to start the Bachelor's in Nursing (BSN) program in the Spring.

I'm using the tutors at my school and they are good but my brain is the issue! Sigh..... I even took off work today to go to tutoring and get caught up. Went to tutoring but not so caught up!

Why can't I just be organized, have decent time management and actually want to be a bedside nurse like millions of other people??? Noooo, I have to not be good at it and need to get a BSN to be able to get a job (notice I said not do a job) that I would actually be good at, not feel like a dumb*** and like it!

Abi
06-12-15, 09:41 PM
Let me know if you need any help.

finallyfound10
06-13-15, 08:15 PM
Oh, I need lots of help!! I would drive you insane so I'll stick to the tutors at school since they are getting paid to be driven insane! Thank you so much though!!

rickymooston
06-13-15, 11:25 PM
I'm taking stupid intermediate algebra at community college and not doing well.=

There is a secret to doing well

The secret involves not memorizing but understanding how things actually work, top down.

The mechanics are annoying but worry most about setting things up properly. Most cases you can get marks without getting all the calculations correct

I used to be a great tutor but years ago

The problem isnt your brain.

Cant speak for Abi but if i had time, you would not drive me nuts

finallyfound10
06-15-15, 02:23 PM
Thank you ricky!

willow129
06-15-15, 08:31 PM
Good luck finallyfound!!

sarahsweets
06-16-15, 04:06 AM
I hated algebra, F**k X and Y.

Little Missy
06-16-15, 08:28 AM
I had this great football player tutor when I was in college for Algebra, Trig and Calc, and what he did was show me the trick, I don't know how else to explain it, but I took my exams privately in a room by myself and I excelled beyond my wildest dreams!

I will always remember him fondly.

It actually made me sad to a degree also that I suffered so through high school when all it took was a little one on one with a phenomenal tutor to achieve the A's in mathematics.

I will add that presented with a problem now I would probably not be able to do a bit of it.

BUT, I am able to add, subtract, multiply and divide in my head faster than any calculator. In fact, calculators are a real problem for me to use.

midnightstar
06-16-15, 05:13 PM
I've never in my life understood the point of algebra.

I mean for example 2a squared times by 3b equals 4c < what the crap???

dvdnvwls
06-16-15, 05:46 PM
I've never in my life understood the point of algebra.

I mean for example 2a squared times by 3b equals 4c < what the crap???

In itself, that kind of thing is pointless. You're right. The only reason for learning it is it can do things - apparently not any things that you wanted to do. :) Imagine you had to teach every detail of cat behaviour to a person who had never seen a cat and who didn't want one. That's the sort of position your algebra teacher was in.

midnightstar
06-16-15, 06:01 PM
In itself, that kind of thing is pointless. You're right. The only reason for learning it is it can do things - apparently not any things that you wanted to do. :) Imagine you had to teach every detail of cat behaviour to a person who had never seen a cat and who didn't want one. That's the sort of position your algebra teacher was in.

At school I wanted to learn it but it never made any sense :o

dvdnvwls
06-16-15, 06:18 PM
At school I wanted to learn it but it never made any sense :o

I think a lot of classes are extremely short on "why would I want to do this, what can it do, what's it for". Especially for us ADHDers.

Abi
06-16-15, 07:09 PM
Yes, they need to teach applications side by side with theory.

Let's say Ebony and Tigger together eat 20 cans of cat food in a month. You usually buy the full 20 cans of cat food once a month. But today you are short of money, and there is a five day long weekend coming up. You need to know what's the minimum amount of food you can get away with buying to get through the long weekend.

You can model the problem algebraically, and then solve the equation.

Let the number of cans needed for 1 day be x.

You know that you need 20 cans for 30 days.

So 30x = 20

x = 20/30 = 0.7 (approx)

For 5 days you need 5x = 5 x 0.7 = 3.5 cans.

Since you can't buy 1/2 a can, you round upwards and therefore need to buy 4 cans of cat food for 5 days.

dvdnvwls
06-16-15, 07:26 PM
Yes, they need to teach applications side by side with theory.

Let's say Ebony and Tigger together eat 20 cans of cat food in a month. You usually buy the full 20 cans of cat food once a month. But today you are short of money, and there is a five day long weekend coming up. You need to know what's the minimum amount of food you can get away with buying to get through the long weekend.

You can model the problem algebraically, and then solve the equation.

Let the number of cans needed for 1 day be x.

You know that you need 20 cans for 30 days.

So 30x = 20

x = 20/30 = 0.7 (approx)

For 5 days you need 5x = 5 x 0.7 = 3.5 cans.

Since you can't buy 1/2 a can, you round upwards and therefore need to buy 4 cans of cat food for 5 days.

Yes. Exactly. But when you get to something like ax^2+bx+c, there are no cats - at least not ones who know how to help with your homework. :lol:

Abi
06-16-15, 07:38 PM
Okay, so let's say you have a missile ....

Never mind. :lol:

Little Missy
06-16-15, 10:06 PM
I LOVED learning Mathematics. LOVED it. So satisfying.

dvdnvwls
06-17-15, 12:11 AM
Okay, so let's say you have a missile ....

Never mind. :lol:

I suppose a CATapult might be a possibility. :giggle:

TygerSan
06-17-15, 07:10 AM
I highly recommend the game Dragonbox for anyone struggling with algebraic concepts. it is a touch screen game that walks you through algebraic concepts starting very simply and going all the way through factoring and polynomials (if you buy the full version; it's worth it).

I didn't start doing well in math till end of high school. IMNSHO, the college professors designing school curricula have lost the plot trying to introduce algebra earlier and earlier. I was barely ready to wrap my head around the concepts as an 8th grader in advanced math, and now everybody is supposed to take algebra in 8th? What a crock! It's actually a developmental leap to be able to think abstractly. Happens more slowly for some than others.