View Full Version : How long does it take for you guys to finish college

sayhi110
06-13-15, 11:14 AM
Hi everyone,

I know it usually take 4 years to finish a college degree. But in my case, i have already taken 6 years and still continued....

Today is our school graduation ceremony and i felt sad about it....

tinybike
06-14-15, 09:07 AM
If I continue on my trajectory without burning out completely, I'll be at it for five. I take four courses per semester now, but I've taken a bunch of summer classes to make up for a bum year I had.

willow129
06-14-15, 10:54 AM
4 and a half years for me. And nearly killed myself getting it done in that time ;) :P
**hugs** What are you studying?

sayhi110
06-17-15, 07:59 AM
I major in Economics. There are many math related subjects. :scratch:

4 and a half years for me. And nearly killed myself getting it done in that time ;) :P
**hugs** What are you studying?

sayhi110
06-17-15, 08:01 AM
If I continue on my trajectory without burning out completely, I'll be at it for five. I take four courses per semester now, but I've taken a bunch of summer classes to make up for a bum year I had.

I need to take a summer class, too! Totally disaster i guess

Fuzzy12
06-17-15, 08:05 AM
It took me more than 5 years to do a PhD, which you are normally expected to do in 3 years and it wasn't a difficult project. When I started I was hoping to finish in 2.5 years and if I'd worked efficiently (or not made so many silly oversight-type of errors, which meant I had to run all my experiments again and again...) I could have probably done that easily. And I would have loved to spend more time on it to correct all the mistakes I didn't spot before submission... :rolleyes:

Stevuke79
06-17-15, 09:53 AM
9 years. for a bachelor's of arts!
(when I think of it that way,.. most people get their MD's in the same amount of time!!)

BellaVita
06-17-15, 07:26 PM
I dropped out :( but that's mainly because my mom signed me up for 7 classes in one semester...I would go to class at 8:00am and didn't get out until 6:30pm some days....and then studied for 5-7 hours after that.

It was too much and I ended up getting super sick and ended up in ER :(

My Narcissistic mother however (she has ADHD) finished in 3 years (she's really smart :( tested out of classes....)...she then went to EMT school for 2 years...and then she went to PA school for 2 years. She thinks she's "all that" ugh

Abi
06-17-15, 07:31 PM
SEVEN classes? OMG. :eek:

Abi
06-17-15, 07:33 PM
I took 4 years for my bachelor's with honours.

Lost track of how long I've been on and off with my masters.

TheChemicals
06-17-15, 07:54 PM

Did you major in candlestick making? I totally can picture you making high end candles! I never finished college, got bored and went to make $.

Abi
06-17-15, 07:59 PM
I don't get it. Candles?

Stevuke79
06-17-15, 08:01 PM

was this before or after you contracted adhd? ;)

Abi
06-17-15, 08:04 PM
No ADHD.

It was before I contracted bipolar. Had undiagnosed severe GAD tho.

TheChemicals
06-17-15, 08:05 PM
I don't get it. Candles?

Im told candles and home economics are easy degrees. Do you have adhd Abi? If so, you have a lot of willpower and determination.

Abi
06-17-15, 08:06 PM
I have bipolar and GAD. This was before the onset of my bipolar.

TheChemicals
06-17-15, 08:12 PM
Thats wild, moving fast to a degree and then bipolar. I've only known one bipolar person and they were bipolar their whole life.Guy had a very rough life a lot of challenges.He still lives at home with his parents and can barely keep a job.

Andi
06-17-15, 08:14 PM
So we've taken the thread from a question of how long did it take to get your degree to questioning the difficulty and validity of subject and graduating with honors? Perhaps the best measurement here is, as you say, the willpower and determination of actually completing a program. Perhaps we can pick the OP topic up again and refrain from the attempt at poor humor and questioning diagnosis.

TheChemicals
06-17-15, 08:25 PM
That wasn't a very nice thing to say Andi. Ill stop what you believe im doing. Sorry Abi if you misunderstood me. Im not good with words sometimes. *exits stage left!

Abi
06-17-15, 08:49 PM
Im told candles and home economics are easy degrees. Do you have adhd Abi? If so, you have a lot of willpower and determination.

Oh btw there are people here with PhDs, MAs, MDs, so a B degree with honours is not really much to shout about.

*exit stage right*

Fortune
06-17-15, 10:57 PM
It's going to take me forever to finish college because I am unlikely to go back after having dropped out three times.

BellaVita
06-17-15, 11:07 PM
It's going to take me forever to finish college because I am unlikely to go back after having dropped out three times.

College drop-out club *high-five*

anonymouslyadd
06-17-15, 11:40 PM
Many years.

stef
06-18-15, 03:53 AM
I don't see why there is even a "debate" about this on here.
everyone has their own cocktail of skills, limitations and interests.
I finished college in 4 years but that was way easier for me, than being a stay at home mom for example.

Tisha
06-18-15, 08:55 AM
Less than 50% of college students that attend a public school graduate in 4 years. At DS1's university, it is 35%. I think that the 6 year graduation rate is between 60 and 70%. This does not include transfer students, part time students, etc. It is students who are FT and start a university and continue there. So, 30% of all students, ADHD and NOT, take more than 6 years to finish their degree.

Life is not a sprint, but a marathon. Keep at it and don't be bummed. You are doing great to stay in school...perserverence is a virtue.

sarek
06-18-15, 04:31 PM
I graduated law school, for which 4 years is the normal length of the curriculum. I needed twice as long as that.

midnightstar
06-18-15, 05:19 PM
I graduated in a year (I did the one-year version of the course because officially it was meant to be a 2 year course but we could choose to only do one year), us one-year students still got a qualification at the end of it though :)

Flory
06-19-15, 03:21 AM
College expellee.....

No f's given

sayhi110
06-19-15, 07:20 AM
You got it! Some of my classmates finish their master degree in the same time........kind embarrassing...:(
9 years. for a bachelor's of arts!
(when I think of it that way,.. most people get their MD's in the same amount of time!!)

sayhi110
06-19-15, 07:39 AM
I dropped out once!
College drop-out club *high-five*

Pilgrim
06-19-15, 07:52 AM
I never finished, Comerce.

HXofADHD.W/F76
07-14-15, 12:31 AM
10+ years, associates --> bachelor's -->master's then finally my doctrate

jansin920
09-17-15, 12:09 PM
Hi everyone,

I know it usually take 4 years to finish a college degree. But in my case, i have already taken 6 years and still continued....

Today is our school graduation ceremony and i felt sad about it....

My time's almost up... Been taking animation for about 4 years now yet the usual alloted time is 3 years and 1 term. I still have thesis to do yet i'm still at pre-production and then afterwards i'll be kicked out if i still fail one more subject. Damn. :(

Stevuke79
09-17-15, 03:05 PM
long time.. 10 years for a BA :lol: