View Full Version : pdoc upped my dose today

Cotter67
06-17-15, 11:00 AM
now taking 5mg Dexedrine 3x a day, just took my third dose and I feel very panicky and edgy today, one day I think im getting used to the stuff now this, slight palpitations feels like a slight anxiety attack maybe, its not that big an increase so im not sure why im feeling this today...

Cotter67
06-17-15, 11:47 AM
I had palpitations before I started any stimulant medications, I know its anxiety but its really hard not to worry when its happening, my pdoc is focused in treating my innatentive type adhd, but hes not really interested when I say im feeling anxious, he knows I suffer from anxiety but im not getting treatment for it.

Cotter67
06-17-15, 11:52 AM
before I was diagnosed last year ive been on Prozac,sertraline,citalopram and venlafaxine, none of which helped with my anxiety, I think that's why my doc is expecting stimulants to help me.

GeordieDave
06-17-15, 12:19 PM
Medication only plays a small part in our condition, for the most of us anyways. I'm sure to some it's made a huge difference.

I used to suffer from bad anxiety, I still sometimes get anxious, like everyone but what I did was read self-help books and worked on my inner self, how to love myself from within and what gets me anxious. Overtime I've learnt to control it, it's not easy but the more you practice, the easier it gets. I use a lot of different breathing techniques and meditation.

Jenn1202
06-17-15, 12:23 PM
Seems like your 3rd dose may be too high. For me, Dexedrine has cumulative effects. I take 5mg in the morning, 1.25 mg (a quarter of a pill) after 4-5 hours and 1.25 after 2-3 hours when needed and it works. Have you tried lowering your third dose (and possibly your second dose) to 2.5 mg (or 1.25 mg)?

Cotter67
06-17-15, 04:47 PM
hats off to the people on here who can take 10mg of this stuff 3 or 4 times a day, 15mg feels more than enough I don't know how people manage taking 40-50mg of this stuff daily, maybe its more tolerable for the hyperactive type because it controls that hyperactivity, maybe innatentive type need smaller doses or something.

sarahsweets
06-18-15, 04:30 AM
I would say that if the extra dose causes unwanted side effects then stop taking it.

Cotter67
06-18-15, 06:48 AM
I would say that if the extra dose causes unwanted side effects then stop taking it.

how much do you take a day and how do you space it out? do you have the hyperactive type adhd?

sarahsweets
06-18-15, 07:46 AM
I take a total of 45 mg and remember Ive taken dex for seven years, then adderall for 3 and now back to dex. For me, a combo of the spansules and ir work best. The ir gets it going and the spansules keep it even. I take 1 10mg spansule with 1 5mg ir three times a day.

Cotter67
06-18-15, 08:11 AM
the doc also said vyvanse or lisdexamfetamine(whatever you want to call it) might be an option, have you tried vyvanse? I wonder how long it lasts, we don't get Dexedrine spanules hear just the ir tablets.how come you are changing from Adderall to dex?

Cotter67
06-18-15, 10:08 AM
I struggle to eat a bit during the day, lack of appetite just don't feel like eating, I tried whey protein but it really doesn't agree with my stomach plus because I got chocolate flavour I think theres caffeine and other stimulants in it.

sarahsweets
06-18-15, 11:22 AM
I tried vyvanse and I found its advertised benefits to be nothing but horse sh*t. It never lasted as long as it was supposed to and did very little to help me. When I first began treatment in my 20's I was on dex and it worked great. out of nothing more than curiosity I took adderall from about 2011-2015. I noticed more and more over time a building up of anxiety and felt that it was the adderall so I went back to the tried and true dex. Adderall contains levoamphetamine which causes a lot of PNS stimulation in some people.

the doc also said vyvanse or lisdexamfetamine(whatever you want to call it) might be an option, have you tried vyvanse? I wonder how long it lasts, we don't get Dexedrine spanules hear just the ir tablets.how come you are changing from Adderall to dex?

Cotter67
06-18-15, 05:26 PM
I tried vyvanse and I found its advertised benefits to be nothing but horse sh*t. It never lasted as long as it was supposed to and did very little to help me. When I first began treatment in my 20's I was on dex and it worked great. out of nothing more than curiosity I took adderall from about 2011-2015. I noticed more and more over time a building up of anxiety and felt that it was the adderall so I went back to the tried and true dex. Adderall contains levoamphetamine which causes a lot of PNS stimulation in some people.

if im feeling tense and anxious on dex I reckon Adderall would not be goof for me.

Traveler5
06-18-15, 05:43 PM
if im feeling tense and anxious on dex I reckon Adderall would not be goof for me.

I have GAD and take Prozac and Klonopin each day. I've tried and tried to make Adderall work for me. It causes major anxiety in me. If you have anxiety issues, stay away from Adderall, although I do well on 10mg of Dex 3 times per day.

Traveler5
06-18-15, 05:53 PM
now taking 5mg Dexedrine 3x a day, just took my third dose and I feel very panicky and edgy today, one day I think im getting used to the stuff now this, slight palpitations feels like a slight anxiety attack maybe, its not that big an increase so im not sure why im feeling this today...

Your system will eventually even out and you'll get used to taking the medications. Those side-effects should be temporary.