View Full Version : Can I take diet pill while on Ritalin?

karbouris
06-17-15, 11:36 AM
So, I'm having my daughter next week. I've gained 60 pounds, so I've went from 170 to about 230. I really want to try a non stimulant diet pill. Do you think my doctor would have issues if I tried it? I've got my eyes on relecore.

GeordieDave
06-17-15, 12:13 PM
Honestly. Diet pills are a waste of money. They are all a con and a lot of them are full of toxins. If they were so "magical" anyone who is over weight would use them, they'll be the most popular thing going.. But they're not.

The best thing to do, to loose weight is to simply eat healthy and run. Eat lots of greens and healthy carbs. Stay off the sugar, that means no cakes, chocolate, sweets, biscuits etc...

If you run 20 minutes every couple of days and eat healthy, I guarantee you will loose weight without using any "supplements". If you don't like running try swimming, cycling, gym classes. Find something which you enjoy.

Little Missy
06-17-15, 01:48 PM
Protein and veggies work faster. :) No sugar, no flour.

namazu
06-17-15, 02:42 PM
1. The Relacore formula sold by GNC claims to contain ginseng, which is a stimulant.

2. Many, many diet supplements -- even those whose ingredient lists do not include stimulants -- actually contain unlabeled stimulants (of natural or synthetic origin). There have been several exposes regarding this recently, and the FDA is frequently sending cease-and-desist letters when adulteration is detected -- but that's often well after the product has been widely distributed on the market.

3. Mixing these with Ritalin is probably unwise.

4. Are you planning to breastfeed or pump at all? (No judgment either way!) If so, know that milk production actually burns a fair amount of calories, so you may find some of that weight coming off on its own. Granted, I understand that you're looking to lose a lot of weight (I'm looking at a similar amount -- with no "I was pregnant" exuse!), and even if you do breast-feed or pump, that's unlikely to take care of all of it, but it may help more than you think.

5. If not, remember that Ritalin may suppress your appetite, especially if you've been off it throughout the duration of your pregnancy and are just starting it again, and it may speed up your metabolism somewhat besides. If you've been taking it throughout pregnancy, you probably won't get much in the way of "bonus diet help" from it, but being not-pregnant will still shift around your hormones and appetite and it might be wise to let your body re-acclimate to non-pregnancy status with meds before adding anything new to the mix.

6. In other words -- I recommend avoiding diet pills, letting your body get used to not-being-pregnant-anymore, and sticking with healthy eating and exercise habits to the extent possible. (Granted, having a newborn makes all of that challenging, and lack of sleep tends not to promote weight loss. Buying ready-made healthy meals and snacks can help with that.)

Best wishes for a safe, healthy, and uncomplicated delivery, and a happy life together with your +1 family!

dvdnvwls
06-17-15, 03:03 PM
It isn't as if you just randomly gained that weight - pregnancy is different. Weight loss after pregnancy, while of course not absolutely automatic, is not going to be as challenging as reversing an ordinary long-term unwanted weight gain.

Diet pills all fail. That's why there are so many brands and so many formulas and not one outstanding example - none of them work reliably for anyone. Serious medical attempts (I mean the drugs developed by high-profile big-budget drug manufacturers) have all failed and been withdrawn. There are no hidden secrets of metabolism being stumbled over by lower budget lower quality operations. They just want your money.

GeordieDave
06-17-15, 05:28 PM
Some great responses above!

sarahsweets
06-18-15, 04:27 AM
If you are talking about something prescribed and monitored by a doctor then maybe, If its some sort of GNC-like supplement then no way.

Powderbucket
06-18-15, 04:34 AM
So a lot of diet pills are amphetamine based, and since Ritalin is, like, really similar, it should have the same effect as a stimulant diet pill?

I have taken Duromine and Relislim (not for weight-loss purposes, more as coping mechanisms before I got diagnosed), and they're pretty similar to Ritalin and Concerta. Actually, they had a very, very similar effect on me, but the Duromine/Reislim come downs were awful.

Anyway, I've also taken non-stimulant diet pills. They didn't work. I started running religiously and lost 16kg's while avoiding carbs, so that worked.

Unmanagable
06-18-15, 01:25 PM
A total lifestyle change regarding nutritional intake and making it a point to include purposeful movement in each day has done more for me than any diet pill/stimulant ever has.

Even if something creates weight loss at first, like taking stimulants did for me when I was first diagnosed (lost two pants sizes), it isn't a lasting, healthy, or sustainable option to maintain a healthy and balanced weight.

I have serious doubts that a prescribed diet pill is any healthier than an OTC one. You just have another highly educated, yet nutritionally uninformed, doctor supporting their paycheck vs. their actual concern for ongoing and overall health for each individual.

Skyf@ll
06-22-15, 09:25 PM
There is only one thing on this earth that is proven to directly burn fat and at an extreme rate........it will most likely kill you though (it's an ingredient in TNT!)

There was a young girl who took it not that long ago,was in the news.

She ended up in hospital where the doctors/nurses said there was nothing that they could do to save her....she would be dead in 4 hours (the stuff was slowly burning her insides)

There is no safe fast-track to weight loss.

Each less calories+exercise more......it's as simple as that.

Hell, you could even lose weight from eating McDonalds every day if you kept within your calorie limit........you would feel like crap though.

Like people have already said.........a healthy calorie controlled diet is the way forward.

Weight-loss aids like CLA and the likes are just snake oil.

Powderbucket
06-23-15, 02:45 AM
A total lifestyle change regarding nutritional intake and making it a point to include purposeful movement in each day has done more for me than any diet pill/stimulant ever has.

Even if something creates weight loss at first, like taking stimulants did for me when I was first diagnosed (lost two pants sizes), it isn't a lasting, healthy, or sustainable option to maintain a healthy and balanced weight.

I have serious doubts that a prescribed diet pill is any healthier than an OTC one. You just have another highly educated, yet nutritionally uninformed, doctor supporting their paycheck vs. their actual concern for ongoing and overall health for each individual.

Just to add to what Unmanagable said, I know a girl (ADD-free) who went on Duromine (Phentermine 30mg) for 6 months and lost a ton of weight. She didn't eat breakfast or lunch (more like she forgot to) and only had a small meal for supper. She also had the urge to exercise. She lost about 30kg and was happy. Her moods were a bit odd - calm and then crying and then calm and then CLEANING EVERYTHING. This is what these pills do.

Then she went off the pills and put on 35kg and is now on a pill-free diet, which seems to be working.

Anyway, that's stimulant-based and you're seeking a non-stimulant alternative.

The same girl mentioned above is now on a controlled eating plan and is also taking Antagolin (you can Google it). This pill works more with insulin, so it goes to the direct cause of fat creation. It doesn't try to speed up or slow down anything. It is also won't try to "burn" your fat (THOSE pills are terrible). Antagolin requires effort, however, but when the effort is put in, it appears to work very well.

Skyf@ll
06-23-15, 06:35 AM
Stimulant based pills are pointless because they increase energy and decrease appetite. But when you come off them your appetite increases and your energy decreases more than before.....leading to weight gain. Plus I bet the weight loss is mostly water and even muscle....making it even worse!

Me personally I wouldn't be touching anything that messes with your insulin resistance...that's asking for type 2 diabetes.

Hell why not throw in some T3 to your cycle as well, mess up your thyroid.

The reason why things work with "effort" is because it's the "effort" that is doing the work not the magic pill :doh: :lol:

Powderbucket
06-24-15, 03:42 AM
Me personally I wouldn't be touching anything that messes with your insulin resistance...that's asking for type 2 diabetes.

Hell why not throw in some T3 to your cycle as well, mess up your thyroid.

The reason why things work with "effort" is because it's the "effort" that is doing the work not the magic pill :doh: :lol:

It depends on the individual. If you have very low insulin levels then it is safe and fine to take something that increases it slightly, and vice versa. That is if your insulin levels are actually wonky and affecting your weight regardless of your food intake. People can virtually stop eating and start exercising and will still not loose weight. If you do not have balanced insulin levels, then your weight will not change and that will cause other problems for you. This is what my psychiatrist told me after I asked some questions regarding this topic yesterday.

sarahsweets
06-24-15, 07:05 AM
The more Ive thought about it the more I realize how foolish it was for me to suggest an rx option for weight loss. Nothing beats a healthy lifestyle.

mbrandon
06-24-15, 07:08 PM
Adderall was a diet pill before it was an ADD and narcolepsy med.

The Feds never let anything that actually works stay on the market more than a few years. So don't waste time with anything from the store unless you find a new product that just came out. Bodybuilding forums and word of mouth is about it.

namazu
06-24-15, 09:25 PM
Hey, Karbouris! You posted a week ago. Just wanted to say I hope everything is going well as delivery is (past? imminent?)! Take care.

Skyf@ll
06-24-15, 09:41 PM
Adderall was a diet pill before it was an ADD and narcolepsy med.

The Feds never let anything that actually works stay on the market more than a few years. So don't waste time with anything from the store unless you find a new product that just came out. Bodybuilding forums and word of mouth is about it.

Do you even lift? :lol:

fracturedstory
06-26-15, 07:38 AM
What worked for me:

4-5 small meals a day. Instead of just 3 normal sized ones I basically just cut the portion in half and had barely a gap in between eating. This together with eating at planned times helped to stop snacking. Also, I stopped buying junk food.

Protein + water = easily full on not a lot of calories. Water has no calories and can make you full. Most times when you're hungry you're probably just thirsty.

Exercise: walking and strength training. Strength training burns more calories.
The type of exercise that made me lose weight fast was walking every day for one hour. If I did that for three weeks there would be huge results.

Other tips would be to cut down on breads and pasta. I don't like cutting out food groups though. Just eat healthy and exercise. Oh, it also helps to eat a bit less than your daily calories intake, just don't go under 1000 calories.

Also, get to bed early. The later you stay up the more you want to eat the next day. This type of dieting will keep the weight off for longer and it's more of a complete lifestyle change so if you stick to it the weight may never come back.

Skyf@ll
06-26-15, 07:19 PM
Strength training+HIIT cardio achieves the best results for fat loss.

Weight training 45mins
then straight after
HIIT cardio 15-20 mins

Mixed with a healthy diet, the fat melts off you.

mbrandon
06-27-15, 02:51 PM
Do you even lift? :lol:

Not since last year, no.

Jack3D was awesome, I still have some unopened... No I'm not selling them.

Skyf@ll
06-27-15, 03:16 PM
Not since last year, no.

Jack3D was awesome, I still have some unopened... No I'm not selling them.

Sorry, it's a extremely poor and annoying gym joke.

This pretty much explains it;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OloLS5kTrVs