View Full Version : Advice for Skin and Eyes?

Powderbucket
06-23-15, 02:20 AM
Hello ladies (and the gents that would like to contribute),

Since I've been taking Concerta, I've noticed a couple of physical changes. The one that stands out is my hair, and the other apparent change is my face.

My hair appears to be slightly thinner, so I'm taking Folic Acid and washing it less and now it's looking much better - and much healthier - it's actually better than before medication!

My face, however, is suffering slightly. I've noticed more spots and blemishes here and there. My skin is also a lot drier. Oh, and let's not get started on my BLOOD, RED, burning eyes.

Has anyone else found that medication affects their skin and eyes quite a bit? Especially those taking stimulant medication. What do you do to take better care of yourself? What creams do you use? Any fancy tricks? Holistic and non-holistic tips?:scratch:

Any and all advice will be appreciated.

Unmanagable
06-23-15, 02:44 AM
Coconut oil has been amazing for my skin. My elbows and heels used to be really dry and I'd have to apply store bought stuff several times a day. Coconut oil is only once a day, and if I miss a day here and there, it's barely noticeable by me, and I'm picky when it comes to my skin. Shea butter is a great addition to the coconut oil, especially in colder months for me.

Apple cider vinegar, diluted, is a great toner for the face. Once it dries, the smell disappears. It's also good to remove those annoying skin tags if you regularly apply it over a period of time.

I had hair falling out for a while. I stopped using typical shampoos, conditioners, and styling products. (i used to be pretty adamant about buying redken, etc. and was picky, picky, picky) I use Dr. Bronners peppermint castille soap for shampoo, or a shampoo bar my sis-in-law makes, and occasionally use a little baking soda.

I rinse it with diluted apple cider vinegar or kombucha vinegar about 3 times a week, and use a natural conditioner a friend made, or a little coconut oil. My hair is longer and thicker than it's been in YEARS and I'm just letting it do its thing. It used to be so incredibly thin, when I was a child, that barrettes would slide right out. I've had to get perms most of my adult life to give it any body.

Powderbucket
06-23-15, 02:52 AM
Coconut oil has been amazing for my skin. My elbows and heels used to be really dry and I'd have to apply store bought stuff several times a day. Coconut oil is only once a day, and if I miss a day here and there, it's barely noticeable by me, and I'm picky when it comes to my skin. Shea butter is a great addition to the coconut oil, especially in colder months for me.

Apple cider vinegar, diluted, is a great toner for the face. Once it dries, the smell disappears. It's also good to remove those annoying skin tags if you regularly apply it over a period of time.

I had hair falling out for a while. I stopped using typical shampoos, conditioners, and styling products. (i used to be pretty adamant about buying redken, etc. and was picky, picky, picky) I use Dr. Bronners peppermint castille soap for shampoo, or a shampoo bar my sis-in-law makes, and occasionally use a little baking soda.

I rinse it with diluted apple cider vinegar or kombucha vinegar about 3 times a week, and use a natural conditioner a friend made, or a little coconut oil. My hair is longer and thicker than it's been in YEARS and I'm just letting it do its thing. It used to be so incredibly thin, when I was a child, that barrettes would slide right out. I've had to get perms most of my adult life to give it any body.

Thank you so much. I've actually been looking at coconut oil and more natural stuffs for my face. I've been spending like, $100 (70 pounds) on one fancy tub of face cream and my skin still hasn't improved.

I'll definitely check out shampoo/conditioner alternatives :)

GeordieDave
06-23-15, 03:07 AM
Phoarrrrr! Don't get me started on coconut oil!!

The women in my family LOVE the stuff.

Literally they use it for EVERYTHING. Hair, skin, food, oil for cooking.

They never shut up about the stuff haha!

I use it myself for cooking, it's a hell of a lot healthier than the usual sunflower oil etc..

Powderbucket
06-23-15, 03:16 AM

I use it myself for cooking, it's a hell of a lot healthier than the usual sunflower oil etc..

Shweet :) I'll do some investigation.

Unmanagable
06-23-15, 03:17 AM

:lol: I hear ya, GD.

I have a tub of it in the kitchen, bathroom, and bedroom.

Vinegar is amazing, too. It's my fabric softener, high efficiency washer cleaner, multi-purpose cleaner, window cleaner, facial toner, hair conditioner, etc., etc. I've eliminated the need for all that heavily chemical laden stuff that disrupts my healthy flow. I think a combination of all those changes has helped my skin, breathing, etc.

Powderbucket
06-23-15, 03:19 AM
:lol: I hear ya, GD.

I have a tub of it in the kitchen, bathroom, and bedroom.

Vinegar is amazing, too. It's my fabric softener, high efficiency washer cleaner, multi-purpose cleaner, window cleaner, facial toner, hair conditioner, etc., etc. I've eliminated the need for all that heavily chemical laden stuff that disrupts my healthy flow. I think a combination of all those changes has helped my skin, breathing, etc.

Speaking of cleaning, we have a lady that comes to clean our place for us every Friday. The walls, floors, tabletops, furniture, plates, knives, forks and everything smells like detergent. I have to open up every window and door in the place just to get the smell out. Makes my eyes water.

Can't be good.

GeordieDave
06-23-15, 03:23 AM
Ohh yeah vinegar works wonders! It's so under used in this day and age! I use it to clean my car windows (the tiniest little smudge or finger print, drives me insane haha).

Tbh though. I haven't really used it for anything else! I'm going to make the effort and use it for some of the stuff you've mentioned above! Thanks :D

bluelephant
11-28-15, 09:52 PM
Adderall does not impact my skin, however I do have acne, the best thing you can do your skin is have a regiment, workout, and take skin positive vitamins. Do not do not pick. Do not use coconut oil, people who love it are not true acne sufferers, they typically do a lifestyle overhaul that makes it appear to work. Coconut oil is actually both dying as well as clogging, and it falls at about 5 on the comedogenic scale. Right now your skin is breaking out due to an increase in body stimulation. This can be counteracted by working out and finding ways to decrease stressors that are putting a burden on your already activated fight-or-flight response. I would ask your doctor for a Retin-a micro prescription, find a gentle cleanser, use an oil-based makeup remover first if needed (not coconut oil, water and oil do not mix! Cleansers with oil however are formulated to breakdown in water), get a good moisturizer, dry skin actually leads to breakouts because it throws off your sebum production, while also depositing dead skin cells in your pores. Also make sure that your diet contains plenty of fresh fruits, veggies, and a good balance of anti-inflammatory carbohydrate sources, as well as good proteins--salmon is the best for skin.

P.S. Vinegar acts as a toner, the preferred one is typically organic Apple Cider Vinegar, however be careful. Not everyone reacts well to this and some have actually gotten scarring. It is pretty potent. Currently I use the Clearogen system, Retin-a micro, and the Clinique dramatically different moisturizing lotion + (which some people love and others hate, moisturizers are very much case specific).