View Full Version : advice and tips for concerta noob

lbolams
06-24-15, 02:32 AM
I started taking Strattera yesturday.
took about 45 mins to feel the effect. I`m generally a really anxious and restless individual, unorganised and loses stuff alot.
I am an english teacher in Japan.
Things I noticed.
My restlessness, shaking legs, constantly fidgeting and playing with things decreased a lot, still have it a little, but it feels great not to be so edgy.
I still forgot a lot of things however, and was pretty tired by the end of the day.
Ususally im very shy, and avoid talking to people, but I found that I had more confidence to talk to people, had confidence in my ability to do things.
I had a meeting that last for 1.5 hours after work, and I stayed focused for most of the time! It was crazy for me, because ususally I would be away with the fairies. and restless etc. I`m also terrible with group conversation or any conversation because it always bores me unless its somseinth im interested in. So all is good so far, today was the same pretty much. However wasnt able to sleep well last night. hmm... hopefully not tonight as well. So what I want to ask is.. Are these the usual affects? Should I up the dosage next time I visit my doctor? When it wore off however, my mind became a tornado of thoughts and maybe thats why I coudlnt sleep? let me know. Thanks!

Powderbucket
06-24-15, 03:36 AM
Strattera or Concerta now?

You have posted in the Concerta forum but you said you took Strattera but made it sound like a stimulant?

lbolams
06-24-15, 04:09 AM
**** I meant to say conerta! Sorry for the confusion

sarahsweets
06-24-15, 06:27 AM
If you can find a good balance between sleeping and functioning you should be ok. Do you have good sleep hygiene?

Powderbucket
06-24-15, 07:47 AM
**** I meant to say conerta! Sorry for the confusion

No worries :)

I'm six weeks into Concerta and I can confidently say that it takes time for you to feel "balanced". I think I'm still getting used to it but I've gotten used to most of the changes.

Regarding sleep - this was bad for me. It took about a month for me to get into a normal sleep cycle again. In bed, my mind would rush through thoughts on speed and I would have these "zaps" every now and again. My heart would also beat pretty fast in bed. It wasn't great and the tiredness put me in a foul mood.

Then time passed! Now, I sleep better than I have ever before, I didn't have to make any changes - I just had to wait and let my body get used to it. I enjoy conversations much more and overall I just feel better. Doing "stuff" is more pleasurable, be it work or some kind of other activity.

Oh and I don't know if you've experienced this, but I feel like crap if I have just one beer or one glass of wine. Exercising isn't the same, as my heart seems to struggle more, but it taught me to listen to and obey my body.

Best of luck on it and stay positive! Just give it time and don't rush to any conclusions :)

lbolams
06-24-15, 08:30 PM
Hey! I see kinda sounds like me haha, still had a hard time sleeping tonight, i got to sleep ok, but I woke up from a nightmare then couldnt get back to sleep properly, like I was asleep but not asleep, was weird. Bit itred again today, and restlessness is still less but kinda there. Did you up your dosage? My girl friend said she noticed the difference in me, and she also noticed when it wore off. How long does it take for you guys to ware off? Icarleflames- I have a good sleep routine, go to bed at 10.30-10.45 every night and get up at 7. All thanks to years of training from my girl friend haha. Today im slightly more anxious, but i guess a little more productive than usual, i dunno its hard to tell since im sleepy. Anyway off to class! HAve a good day/night peeps :)

lbolams
06-24-15, 08:31 PM
oh you changed your name, sarahsweets sorry

jmicro
06-24-15, 09:15 PM
Upping my dosage made me more productive and used my energy more efficiently, making it easier to sleep atvnight. If you ever start taking two doses of concerta at different times of the day, that can take some getting used to. Ive started to just not take the second dose if I forget to take it early enough as it would interfere with sleep.

lbolams
06-24-15, 11:31 PM
i see, I just really like sleep, and the fact that I havent been able to sleep well kinda sucks. Because the next day im tired, and when im tired im more ADD symptoms show. So the first day was good, but the 2nd day and 3rd day the focus and restlessness has increased. hmmm.. ill give it 2 weeks, but would def not take it in the afternoon otherwise wouldnt be able to sleep at all

Skyf@ll
06-25-15, 12:46 AM
Tips for Concerta?

Don't take Concerta :P

***insert hate comment here****

The majority of people fair better on amphetamine based meds......but not all.

Powderbucket
06-25-15, 02:54 AM
Tips for Concerta?

Don't take Concerta :P

***insert hate comment here****

The majority of people fair better on amphetamine based meds......but not all.

**inserts massive hate comment here** :p

Taking two Concerta pills a day is not really a norm, nor is it recommended. I've taken Concerta at 11am before and it was awful trying to sleep. Don't take two Concerta pills per day, rather take a bigger dose in the morning.

I'm sticking to 36mg. I tried 54mg for 3 days and it made me twitchy and jittery and druggie-feeling. The come down was worse too, so I'm sticking to 36mg.

You'll find that Concerta doesn't "drive" you into focus-mode as much as Ritalin or Adderall. I like this about it because I can still feel like myself and not like a robot. So, every now and again, I'll wander off on the internet and check out what's news, but I easily go back to doing my work. So as I said, Concerta offers me more control over myself.

sarahsweets
06-25-15, 04:53 AM
oh you changed your name, sarahsweets sorry

What do you mean?