View Full Version : Fear in the absence of danger

Fuzzy12
06-26-15, 04:22 PM
I've been pretty stressed for a while now and since beginning of this week that stress finally turned into anxiety as it usually does for me after a prolonged period of exposure to high stress from different sources.

Anyway, so I was just googling anxiety, mainly because I was too anxious to do anything and I came across this website called "the anxiety trick". It doesn't really have any great revelations or anything new in it but they used this phrase "fear in the absence any danger".

I know of course that anxiety isn't rational and I keep telling myself that I've got no reason, or rather no good reason to be so stressed but once the anxiety kicks in my brain doesn't listen to anything, least of all reason and logic.

Somehow this phrase though " fear in the absence of danger" made something click in my brain. I do have stressors, lots of at them at the moment and some rather serious ones but none of them actually put my life in physical danger.

I'm not going to die anytime soon, neither are any of my near and dear ones going to die tomorrow, at least not because of my stressors. There's no physical danger to my person. None at all. Maybe my brain finally understood that.. Even through the fog of stress and anxiety.

Maybe it's none of that and it's just something silly like getting some energy from drinking a glass of juice or something like that since I've been hardly eating these days (though I had the juice after feeling better. Before that I was pretty much paralysed). I mean, I don't know what it is and maybe it's not going to last very long either. Maybe I'll be anxious again in 10min but what stands, what will be valid in 10min as well is that there is no real danger...irrespective of how i feel.

Anyway, bla bla, somehow I found this phrase comforting so I thought I'd share.

GeordieDave
06-26-15, 05:26 PM
I know how you feel Fuzzy! I hope things start improving! We all have our rough days! No one in this world lives their life stress or worry free!

I use something similar to what you've mentioned..

"Will this really matter in a years time from now?" And you'll find out that you'll say to yourself.. "In a years time I literally will not give a damn about this". And it releases a lot of anxiety or worry.

midnightstar
06-26-15, 05:31 PM
(((Fuzzy))) how good are you at reading? I can tell you what book helped me with my anxiety if you're okay reading books :) :grouphug:

GeordieDave
06-26-15, 05:36 PM
Here's one I've read!

midnightstar
06-26-15, 05:43 PM
Here's one I've read!

My dopey old laptop won't let me enlarge the image :rolleyes::doh:

GeordieDave
06-26-15, 05:46 PM
Hehe,

It's called 'How to stop worrying and start living' by Dale Carneige.

Little Missy
06-26-15, 06:34 PM
No hypervigilance?

Little Missy
06-26-15, 06:58 PM
Don't take 'fear in the absence of danger' too literally.

Can't finish this second, LOL is bellerin' for something..

sarahsweets
06-27-15, 09:27 AM
I think anxiety can just happen and you dont always need a reason or life or death scenario to have it. I guess thats why its so debilitating. Our minds can make anything seem dangerous.

someothertime
06-28-15, 05:52 AM
I think your pretty on the money Fuzz, at least with the type of blurriness and wall growth in my world.

On a small tangent..... I think exercise, looked at simply is exactly this.... specifically for us internal folks...... rudimentally.... it creates this body/ brain "live" / "chill" cycle... that gets surpressed ( more like parred and morphed into anxiety really ).....

When there is nothing going on in my life........ exercise seems to annihalate this..... which is why ( you just made me clearly realise this ).... it's not about excercise addiction at all.... its about exacty what you reference here......

Retrospectively..... the transient anxiety i believe Sarah references is fairly distinguishable nowa days from the former...... often related but more born out of situational / personal triggers..... for me anyways.....

hg12345
06-28-15, 07:48 PM
I think the reason why most ppl without anxiety cannot understand how a person can be anxious about something "irrational" is exactly because of this reason. There is no obvious danger but for some reason the brain decides that there is danger and causes the sns to be stimulated which leads to panic. Also, anxiety is caused by not living in the moment. It's thinking "what if something happends..." it may help to try to be mindful and think abt just the moment that is happening right then.
I always knows the reason for my anxiety though. Like I'll have anxiety before a long exam because I know that I won't be able to sit through it....