View Full Version : Concerta too low, wearing off early?

tinybike
06-28-15, 12:13 PM
Hi all,

I have been on 40mg Vyvanse for six months; a month of 30mg Vyvanse before that. I had 10mg Dexedrine spansule as a booster in the afternoon because my Dr is not comfortable with IR. Obviously, the spansule was negatively affecting my sleep.

I have been switched to Concerta, starting at 18mg. It makes me completely groggy and sleepy and useless all morning, then seems to wear off by about 1pm (just like the Vyvanse did). I think the dose is too low. Is it likely that it will last any longer if I take a higher dose, or will it (like the Vyvanse) just hit me harder for the same amount of time?

These long acting meds are so expensive for how poorly they seem to work for me...
Cheers

Powderbucket
06-29-15, 03:33 AM
If you were on 40mg Vyvanse, I think that 18mg might be too low.

I'm on 36mg and it lasts until about 3pm for me. My psychiatrist said that 54mg is the "normal" adult dose but you must listen to your body and let your doctor know how things are going for you.

However, Concerta also made me VERY tired when I first started taking it. Like, I could nap all day. Now, however, things are better and the tiredness is more of a relaxing feeling. I have been on it for about 7 weeks now and don't get the sleeps until 3pm. Then I go to gym or pop 5mg Ritalin.

tinybike
07-05-15, 10:21 AM
Thanks!
I have been on 27mg for two days now and while I don't know how much it's helping yet, I know at least I'm not snoozy!! Not as "get up and go" feeling as on vyvanse. I like this much better; it doesn't really feel like anything. Might still be a low dose but so far so okay.

dvdnvwls
07-05-15, 05:42 PM
It sounds as if 18 was certainly too low and 27 might be still somewhat on the low side but maybe good. But don't take the way you feel as any real indication of anything (unless you feel bad, in which case tell the doctor). Instead, measure your medication's effectiveness by remembering the things in your life that have always gone badly, and seeing if they go better now.

Powderbucket
07-06-15, 09:47 AM
Instead, measure your medication's effectiveness by remembering the things in your life that have always gone badly, and seeing if they go better now.

That is so true! Now the only problem is if something that was perfectly fine starts to go a little weird because of the meds. :p

tinybike
07-16-15, 10:56 AM
Eheheh, yeah. Vyvanse gave me good symptom coverage but didn't last long enough. 27mg concerta is still too low (I'm finding myself scattered and annoyed with myself like before meds, and my "food stimming" aka constant grazing/eating sweets is back), but it's less sleepy now! We're on the right track. Zero notable side effects so far. No muscle tension, no teeth grinding, no sleep disturbance, and as long as I remember to drink water (duh) no headaches.

So far it's not doing a lot, but it's not doing anything unpleasant either so I am pretty sure we're on the right track. I had forgotten what it was like to sleep a full night and not have constant tension headaches. Thankfully I am on a school holiday for a couple of weeks; I had been putting up with the side effects on Vyvanse/Dex because I couldn't afford to drop the ball. Now I've got a little time and it's less urgent.

I don't know if this is common but I definitely lost a lot of my sense of humour while I was on vyvanse - probably in part because of the impulse control, and in part because I was so stressed and sleep deprived in general. I have my smile and my jokes back, though, and that's pretty awesome.
Got an appt next week, we'll see if I bump up to 36mg.

tinybike
07-24-15, 12:03 PM
I started 36mg this week and I think we've found the sweet spot! I'll be checking back with my Dr in three weeks.

tinybike
08-08-15, 10:47 AM
36mg isn't cutting it anymore. It's so weird that I'm finding after a couple of weeks I go from not really feeling anything but a little more pep and focus, to being sleepy and low-level anxious (with little symptom control) until it wears off in the evening. I do prefer it (when it's working) to other drugs I've tried so far. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it just a dose problem?

Pilgrim
08-08-15, 04:51 PM
Just my 2 cents. I have been on Concerta for a couple of months for a break off Dex. Sometimes it's hard to compare the two it was just so different.
I also found anything below 36 Concerta was a waste of time.

Concerta was easily better on the system.

Powderbucket
08-12-15, 04:11 AM
36mg isn't cutting it anymore. It's so weird that I'm finding after a couple of weeks I go from not really feeling anything but a little more pep and focus, to being sleepy and low-level anxious (with little symptom control) until it wears off in the evening. I do prefer it (when it's working) to other drugs I've tried so far. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it just a dose problem?

You could need a higher dose, but remember that your body adjusts and the feelings will more than likely change. I felt pretty "buzzed" my first few days on Concerta... 3 or so months later, it's a lot more chilled and my body has adjusted, but I find it beneficial for me. It can also be many things, like how much sleep you get, how much water you drink (since Concerta releases methylphenidate based on water-absorption).

Or something like that.

janiea
09-08-15, 12:15 PM
Hello, I have been recently diagnosed with adult ADHD, although I'm sure I've had it for years and just now doing something about it.

The doc put me on 36mg of CONCERTA, once a day. I have been taking it in the morning around 7:30am, with breakfast. The first couple of days I did feel a little weird with an upset stomach. I'm not used to taking medication so anything usually makes me feel weird. The first few days I did notice a slight difference in my focus. I am actually able to concentrate a little better but feel like I could also nap if given the opportunity. I have also noticed that I'm hungrier than usual and although I've been fighting the urge to eat I've gained a couple of pounds. I certainly was not expecting this side effect. :( By the time I get home around 5pm I'm ready to pass out on the couch and typically will take a 20 min nap before getting up and starting my evening routine of cooking, cleaning, kids, etc.

I'm a 44yo woman, 5'4" at 217lb. Does anyone else have this issue on Concerta and should I ask to try something else?

Powderbucket
09-08-15, 03:21 PM
Hello, I have been recently diagnosed with adult ADHD, although I'm sure I've had it for years and just now doing something about it.

The doc put me on 36mg of CONCERTA, once a day. I have been taking it in the morning around 7:30am, with breakfast. The first couple of days I did feel a little weird with an upset stomach. I'm not used to taking medication so anything usually makes me feel weird. The first few days I did notice a slight difference in my focus. I am actually able to concentrate a little better but feel like I could also nap if given the opportunity. I have also noticed that I'm hungrier than usual and although I've been fighting the urge to eat I've gained a couple of pounds. I certainly was not expecting this side effect. :( By the time I get home around 5pm I'm ready to pass out on the couch and typically will take a 20 min nap before getting up and starting my evening routine of cooking, cleaning, kids, etc.

I'm a 44yo woman, 5'4" at 217lb. Does anyone else have this issue on Concerta and should I ask to try something else?

Hi Janiea,

I think it's normal when you just start out with Concerta. I have been taking it for roughly 4 months now and how I am feeling is monumentally different to the first week, first month and even first two months. I would definitely say give it time, unless you really don't feel comfortable.

I know what you mean about the tired! I used to get horribly tired when it wore off but that's mostly gone now. I go to gym 4 times a week and I think that helps with my energy levels. I would HIGHLY recommend taking about 1.5 grams of Evening Primrose Oil when it wears off, maybe later on in the afternoon, as this (for some reason) has really helped me. The Oil is mostly used for PMS and mood swings but I find that it regulates my come down and I'm my normal cheery self by the time I get home. I also take a lot of other supplements to keep my body healthy because I do think this medication plays with your gastrointestinal areas - maybe something to also look into!

But yeah, took me forever to get used to it but my life has drastically improved since...

Dutchman
10-07-15, 04:10 PM
Hi Janiea,

I think it's normal when you just start out with Concerta. I have been taking it for roughly 4 months now and how I am feeling is monumentally different to the first week, first month and even first two months. I would definitely say give it time, unless you really don't feel comfortable.

Powderbucket I also am feeling very different than the first month (I'm on methylphenidate ER 36 mg), but I think my "different" is, well, different from your "different." In other words the first week and month I felt amazing, totally 'in the zone', focused, sociable, etc., like the clouds had suddenly cleared. But that feeling has decreased considerably and now I when I take it I am hard pressed to really feel a difference, other than a slight caffeine-like boost. So I would be interested in what it is doing for you at 4 months. Also, do you take it every day? Thanks

TracyLauren
10-15-15, 01:20 PM
I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who finds Concerta doesn't last like it once did. In the beginning it was great but I've been on it for years and I'm at 72mg per day, so a higher dose likely isn't a good idea. My big problem is a lack of physicain. My family doctor continues to perscribe it for me, but she doesn't have the experience to make any changes. I haven't seen a physician with ADHD expertise since my last doctor retired and I cen't seem to find a replacement. It's very frustrating.

dvdnvwls
10-15-15, 02:01 PM
Sleepiness and low-level anxiety together at the same time is usually a sign of the dose being too high, not too low.

Lunacie
10-15-15, 02:08 PM
Concerta lasting 8 to 10 hours is what happens at the top end, with only a few
people. Most get 4 to 6 hours coverage. No I don't have any stats, just what
I saw with my granddaughter and what I've read from self reports.

We do have some posters here who find that regular dosing with IR meds gives
better coverage than the long-lasting meds.

TracyLauren
10-15-15, 02:23 PM
I take it around 6 AM and it's mostly gone by 1 or 2 o'clock. I've considerered taking it later in the day but I'll never remember that!

namazu
10-15-15, 02:47 PM
I take it around 6 AM and it's mostly gone by 1 or 2 o'clock. I've considerered taking it later in the day but I'll never remember that!
I'm in a similar situation (though I don't wake up that early!), and my doctor did prescribe a second dose to be taken later in the day.

For me, that works best (or more accurately, only works) a) if I take it before the first dose has completely worn off, and b) with an alarm set for the afternoon dose to remind me.