View Full Version : An article about school discipline

willow129
07-08-15, 10:33 PM
Was thinking about putting this in the "class clown" thread, but, maybe it's worthy of its own discussion.

Haven't read all of it yet, too tired. Very interesting though.

http://m.motherjones.com/politics/2015/05/schools-behavior-discipline-collaborative-proactive-solutions-ross-greene

Let me know what you think :)

Greyhound1
07-09-15, 12:01 AM
I think it makes a lot of sense. I got as far as this quote and totally agree.
Teachers who aim to control students' behavior—rather than helping them control it themselves—undermine the very elements that are essential for motivation: autonomy, a sense of competence, and a capacity to relate to others.

Hathor
07-09-15, 02:27 AM
At least school is consistent these days, doing just about everything wrong, at least wrong if you want existentially healthy educated individuals

A large issue behind the reason our brains are wired this way is what Foer calls a “binge and purge” educational system, one in which students have vast amounts of information stuffed into their heads and are expected to recall details, only to have the information overwritten by the next curricula. This shallow form of learning teaches people to think the wrong way—he maintains that students, especially freshmen, have no idea what they are doing here. This is where knowledge and information are differentiated; one in five American students who have reached high school cannot recall who the U.S. fought in World War II.

“I’m the freaking U.S. memory champion, and I can’t remember any of the raw knowledge crammed into our skulls. Neither will you,” Foer said.

https://thebottomline.as.ucsb.edu/2013/03/joshua-foer-talks-memory-technology-purpose-at-campbell-hall

It is pretty much manditory that our childhoods are stolen by the institution most resembling jail (well I guess some sweatshops are worse than jail, but skook is pretty lame!)

Why do people put up with this? :confused: :scratch:

LynneC
07-13-15, 12:43 PM
Great find! Thanks for posting...
An interesting point to me was the comment that using rewards and consequences probably does not not help kids to develop internal motivation. This is certainly true in my own child's case; although an immediate reward may work well in that one instance it seems to end there.

Luvmybully
07-13-15, 08:14 PM
what an excellent article!

Children are not minature adults, and this is a great reminder of that.

It would be super if ALL schools acknowledged that mental capabilities develop at different rates for all kids, and not just grasping academic concepts, but emotional and behavior control as well.

I have so much more that I love about this, but am taking pain meds for gall bladder surgery and can't think properly!

salleh
07-13-15, 11:53 PM
....oooo sorry about the gall bladder pains ....I was just introduced to my siatic nerve ....owie owie owie ......

anyway .....I was trained to within 2 classes of being a elementary teacher ...and nothing like this was even thought of at that time ( the mid 80s) ....not that there wasn't a great deal of care and effort into teaching us how to best teach children .....they just had it wrong .....

...and one read ...never forgotten, cause you read it and ....whoa .....every word every sentence ( just about) reads true ......well duh, I thought to myself .....at the same time realizing just how radical this idea is ....

.....and many blessing upon the head of the person/s who thought of this ....what a trip they must have gone through ......they had to have known they were right ..now ...convince others .........