View Full Version : 5 years smoke free today :)

psychopathetic
07-11-15, 05:44 AM
Just tootin my own horn.

5 years. Not one single puff!

:D :yes:

N.O.P.E. (Not One Puff Ever) for me please!

Fuzzy12
07-11-15, 05:58 AM
Congrats psycho. :grouphug:

I had my last smoke (for the foreseeable future at least) yesterday.

If I manage 5 years, I'll toot my horn as well!!

Well done!!:grouphug:

psychopathetic
07-11-15, 06:06 AM
I was 1 1/2 packs to 2 packs a day smoker there for about a year before my quit.
I remember I could hardly walk from my car in a parking lot to the stores without my face becoming beet red from pure exhaustion. I couldn't breath!
And I felt like I CONSTANTLY had to be smoking. It's the very first thing I'd think about when I woke up...it was sick too...cause I'd start craving my next cigarette...while I still had one lit.

ick. I do not miss it one bit.

It was my first encounter with cancer that helped me kick the habit.

They had to perform some surgery on me to remove a tumor. It was a fairly quick and simple surgery, then just had to make a small incision in my abdomen and I was able to leave for home that same day.
But it was awful. I was put under, and when I woke up from the anesthesia I felt extremely tired and out of it and sick to my stomach. Yet I wanted a smoke SO badly! And the nurse as I was leaving really warned me not to smoke for a couple of hours at least, as it could cause me to get sick until all of the anesthesia was out of my system.

The second my dad pulled out of the hospital's parking lot I demanded he pull over so I could smoke. He refused, so in my groggy dopey state of mind, I decided I was going to jump out of the car. I opened the door as he was driving...haha that was enough to make him stop! :p He pulled over into a nearby gas station, and I smoked.
And omg...it tasted horrible and it made me EXTREMELY sick. I'm not even sure how to explain it, but it was a whole body sickness full of nausea and tons of disorientation.

But damn it. I NEEDED that damn smoke! And so I smoked it. All of it. Every single puff just making me feel worse and worse.

gah...

Then the final straw was about a month later when I had to go to a facility to get a single dose of chemotherapy. I sat there and they hooked me all up with an IV drip and everything and sat there for about 4 hours in a room filled with others also receiving chemo.
There was a lovely older lady who was so full of cheer. She was wearing a bandana on her head to cover her baldness the chemo had given her.
There was another guy across from me...he was talking to one of the nurses about an oil company he ran. He may well have been one of the richest guys I've ever met in person lol...but his face and his skin. I've never seen anything like it before. It was pale and the skin on his face was almost translucent it was so pale. It was hard to look at...and I'm sure it was all due to his chemo he was on. It struck me that such a rich guy who owned an oil mining company couldn't buy his way through this, and I just felt so sad for the guy.

And there was a bunch of others there as well. Beautiful people, all suffering.

And there I was. Some punk kid lol. And even through it all I was craving a smoke the entire time I was up there.

And when it was finally time for me to leave, I called my parents to come pick me up...and while I waited I NEEDED to go have a smoke. But the thought of all the beautiful people in the building seeing me smoke...right after I'd had a dose of chemo...was a horrible idea to me. There was just no way.

So I snuck over to a big green dumpster and crouched down on the otherside of it and hid behind it to smoke. And again...it made me quite sick.

It was in t hat moment...squatting behind that gross dumpster fearful to be seen by the other chemo patients and nurses...that it struck me.

I was done.
I didn't even like smoking.

So about 2 weeks later I did it. I quit. Cold turkey. I set a date and stuck to it.

...and here I am, 5 years later, and I've had no relapses or slips of any kind. My quit since day one has been something I've taken VERY seriously, and I LOVE my quit. I don't miss smoking at all. What a nasty freaking habit.
And what a dream come true it's been...to not have that constant nagging.
I can go months now without having any sort of craving...and damn it's nice. I went from having cravings damn near constantly...to where I am now.

Quitting smoking was one of the absolute best things I've ever done in my life. It's been completely transformative. Man have I grown by leaps and bounds over the last 5 years.
I'm a completely different, and better person than I was 6 years ago. My quit played a HUGE roll in all of that.

(((((((Hugs)))))))

Yep. N.O.P.E.!!!

psychopathetic
07-11-15, 06:21 AM
Congrats psycho. :grouphug:

I had my last smoke (for the foreseeable future at least) yesterday.

If I manage 5 years, I'll toot my horn as well!!

Well done!!:grouphug:

:yes: :yes: :yes: Yay Fuzz Buzz!!!

hehe the forum I was a part of which was a huge help during my quit (quitnet.com.../cry, they've recently changed the site DRASTICALLY and now it's nothing like it use to be at all. There are no more forums there :( ) called the first week hell week...it can be tough.
One of the things I found very difficult during my first week...was all the spare time I now found myself with. I no longer had smoking to fill up my time. And that caused major cravings. It was such a 'normal' thing for me to smoke when I was bored, that now that I didn't have that...it drove me nuts! lol

It was all about distractions. I spent a TON of time online at quitnet...I racked up hundreds of posts within my first couple of weeks in my quit haha.
I also found walking to be amazing after 4 or 5 days smoke free. I couldn't believe how quickly my breathing came back to me. I went from not being able to walk like 20 feet without feeling extremely winded...to being able to walk for 30+ minutes and feeling great! All within my first week!!
It also helped fight the craves, and would leave me feeling very good afterwards.

A couple of other things that helped me out were frozen popsicle treats lol...and sunflower seeds. I'd pop a handful of seeds into my mouth when I craved, and by the time I had de-shelled all the seeds and eaten the mouthful...the craving would be gone.

It also helped me to know that cravings only typically last 3-5 minutes if you don't let yourself obsess over them (very difficult to do, I know!). So if you can just distract yourself for a few minutes, you can grind your way through the crave!

((((((((((((((Fuzz))))))))))))))

Abi
07-11-15, 07:27 AM
5 seconds smoke free

*puff*

restart the clock

3 seconds

*puff*

Unmanagable
07-11-15, 07:44 AM
High fives, psych!!!!!!! :)

That's not an easy thing to do, by any stretch of the imagination. It was on the top of my list as THE most difficult thing I ever tackled in my life, until my most recent adventures.

Toot that horn like a mofo. You earned it!! Breathing is not overrated.

midnightstar
07-11-15, 05:02 PM
Yay congrats psycho :grouphug: I'm proud of you :D

dvdnvwls
07-11-15, 11:26 PM
Congratulations psycho!

(slight sniffing)

Hmmmm... You smell good. ;)

aeon
07-12-15, 12:25 AM
Please do toot that horn, and know that you can do it loud and proud because of the gift you gave yourself, because of your hard-won and earned choice, and because maybe another smoker will hear that to toot is greater than to puff.

Well-done and another 5 years and then some!

cheers,
Ian

BellaVita
07-12-15, 01:40 AM
Amazing psycho! You have every right to tell the world about this, I'm so happy for you!

:)

GeordieDave
07-12-15, 03:38 AM
Massive well done!!! It's not easy! I know people who have been trying for years!

psychopathetic
07-12-15, 04:26 AM
:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :)

Fuzzy12
07-12-15, 04:30 AM
:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :)

I'll read t

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

daveddd
07-12-15, 04:49 AM
congrats, still one of the things i haven't been able to beet with will power yet

stef
07-12-15, 04:56 AM
congrats, still one of the things i haven't been able to beet with will power yet

Congrats! Either have I
Reading the thread made me smoke a couple. the thought of quititing makes me panic slightly.

psychopathetic
07-12-15, 05:13 AM
Congrats! Either have I
Reading the thread made me smoke a couple. the thought of quititing makes me panic slightly.

(((((((Stefs)))))))

Fuzzy12
07-12-15, 07:39 AM
:yes: :yes: :yes: Yay Fuzz Buzz!!!

hehe the forum I was a part of which was a huge help during my quit (quitnet.com.../cry, they've recently changed the site DRASTICALLY and now it's nothing like it use to be at all. There are no more forums there :( ) called the first week hell week...it can be tough.
One of the things I found very difficult during my first week...was all the spare time I now found myself with. I no longer had smoking to fill up my time. And that caused major cravings. It was such a 'normal' thing for me to smoke when I was bored, that now that I didn't have that...it drove me nuts! lol

It was all about distractions. I spent a TON of time online at quitnet...I racked up hundreds of posts within my first couple of weeks in my quit haha.
I also found walking to be amazing after 4 or 5 days smoke free. I couldn't believe how quickly my breathing came back to me. I went from not being able to walk like 20 feet without feeling extremely winded...to being able to walk for 30+ minutes and feeling great! All within my first week!!
It also helped fight the craves, and would leave me feeling very good afterwards.

A couple of other things that helped me out were frozen popsicle treats lol...and sunflower seeds. I'd pop a handful of seeds into my mouth when I craved, and by the time I had de-shelled all the seeds and eaten the mouthful...the craving would be gone.

It also helped me to know that cravings only typically last 3-5 minutes if you don't let yourself obsess over them (very difficult to do, I know!). So if you can just distract yourself for a few minutes, you can grind your way through the crave!

((((((((((((((Fuzz))))))))))))))

Thanks psycho. I think walking is a great idea. One of the things I will really miss is that at work smoking makes for really natural regular and relaxing breaks. Breaks that I need desperately to rewind. I thought maybe instead I'll just go for a short walk every 2h. I'm always pacing up and down anyway while smoking. It's quite beautiful too where I work and I ll need to exercise more anyway.

It's stupid but. I'm terrified of putting on weight without smoking.

Fuzzy12
07-12-15, 08:09 AM
Congrats! Either have I

Stef, same here. The thought always made me panic a bit. Still does. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: