View Full Version : Help - having trouble getting to sleep

cavemn12
07-11-15, 08:39 AM
I have been diagnosed with ADD, and the last couple of weeks, I have not been able to sleep at all. It is affecting my work; I need to get this under control. Are there techniques out there that anybody could recommend, natural medicines like melatonin. I just can't seem to shut my mind off; please help.

meadd823
07-11-15, 06:29 PM
I try to go to bed and wake up at the same time every day. This does not always happen but I do my best to keep from getting my days and night mixed up when I am off work.

dvdnvwls
07-11-15, 11:25 PM
Melatonin is often used wrong. People take doses much too high and at the wrong times. It can help if and only if used correctly - and even then it doesn't help everyone.

Melatonin is not something to help you sleep, it's a sleep schedule adjuster. You can't use it to fall asleep when you want to, and trying to do that will mess you up worse. All it's good for is normalizing your sleep routine. If you don't have (or don't mean to keep up) a precise sleep routine at the normal time of night, melatonin will be worse than useless. A good use of melatonin would be to take a low dose of it at 9 PM every night for a few weeks, and to precisely and religiously go to bed at exactly 10 PM every night, forever, starting now.

Shutting down all electric items in your house (yes the screens of course, but also the lights and actually everything else except the fridge, and the AC or fans if you need those) one hour before bed time is truly helpful.

Jenn1202
07-12-15, 04:44 AM
I sleep with the TV on and it really helps... (must not be too interesting or too boring)

BellaVita
07-12-15, 04:47 AM
Getting lots of exercise in the day helps me to fall asleep easier at night.

By easier, I mean, within 2 hours instead of 3.

I have severe sleep issues myself.

Corina86
07-12-15, 12:00 PM
It depends what is causing the sleep issues. If you just started ADHD medication, it might be the meds. If you're on stimulant meds, maybe you need to take them earlier during the day or even a lower dose. If it's anxiety what's keeping you awake, you might want to treat that with some medication, therapy and whatever else works for anxiety. If you've always had trouble sleeping, I don't know.

hg12345
07-13-15, 12:21 AM
Melatonin is often used wrong. People take doses much too high and at the wrong times. It can help if and only if used correctly - and even then it doesn't help everyone.

Melatonin is not something to help you sleep, it's a sleep schedule adjuster. You can't use it to fall asleep when you want to, and trying to do that will mess you up worse. All it's good for is normalizing your sleep routine. If you don't have (or don't mean to keep up) a precise sleep routine at the normal time of night, melatonin will be worse than useless. A good use of melatonin would be to take a low dose of it at 9 PM every night for a few weeks, and to precisely and religiously go to bed at exactly 10 PM every night, forever, starting now.

Shutting down all electric items in your house (yes the screens of course, but also the lights and actually everything else except the fridge, and the AC or fans if you need those) one hour before bed time is truly helpful.
I beg to differ on the use of melatonin. My psychiatrist told me to take it a few hours before going to bed because the effect of it builds up and will make me tired. He said to take it at like 9pm if I want to get to bed at 12. Also, he told me to take 10mg and that it has absolutely no side effects or overdose. I have a lot of trouble falling asleep and this has helped me tremendously.

Powderbucket
09-15-15, 04:21 AM
I have been diagnosed with ADD, and the last couple of weeks, I have not been able to sleep at all. It is affecting my work; I need to get this under control. Are there techniques out there that anybody could recommend, natural medicines like melatonin. I just can't seem to shut my mind off; please help.

Lately I've been having massive sleep problems, so I can relate and let you know what I've tried.

Melatonin - while this does help with my body clock, it zombies me out if I don't "sleep it off". It doesn't turn my thoughts off, just puts me in a paralytic state - not fun. When it does work though, it's awesome and can make you feel great.

Hops and Valerian - This did calm me down quite a bit, but I had to take a lot. Again, you will feel like a sack of dirt if you don't sleep it off. Take it 2 hours before bed to be conscious of how it makes you feel. I think this could help turn your mind off, but I have been unsuccessful in falling asleep on this. Again, paralytic and zombie-fied.

Promethazine 10mg-25mg: This is what my pdoc told me to take. When the above two were not working, I mailed her in a state of desperation. I've only just started this. I took it last night and it zoned me out big time (2 hours before my bed time). I was like a drosy, drooling puppy. I fell asleep and then woke up with my heart beating out of my chest - I'm going to blame this on the noise pollution from next door...

I went to the hospital pharmacy and bought foam earplugs - here's hoping.

Also, do something you love before bed. Do something that makes you feel happy. And try yoga/exercise.