View Full Version : Quitting smoking

Fuzzy12
07-12-15, 07:32 AM
So weeks ago I decided that this past Friday was my last smoking day. I normally don't smoke on the weekend so not sure why I'm finding it so hard today..on a Sunday. I think, it's because I find it easy not to smoke on weekends because I know that when Monday comes I can smoke again if I want. It's easy to wait for a few days. It's a different story if you know that you'll never smoke again. Well, hopefully never.

I wonder if this is going to be harder than I thought. I'm medicated. I've got a ton to do including stuff I like.

Life sounds bleak without smoking. I'm not looking forward to it.

At least I won't stink all the time anymore.

Fuzzy12
07-12-15, 07:41 AM
I'm not going to smoke today. At least not today.

midnightstar
07-12-15, 07:50 AM
Good Luck FuzzyWuzzy, you can stop smoking, we believe in you :grouphug:

Fuzzy12
07-12-15, 08:06 AM
Good Luck FuzzyWuzzy, you can stop smoking, we believe in you :grouphug:

Thanks star that means a lot. :grouphug:

There's this stupid voice in my head that says "well, of course, I can do it. I just don't want to" :lol::doh::doh::doh:

I keep reading psycho's 5 year smoke free thread for inspiration. It helps.

midnightstar
07-12-15, 08:14 AM
Thanks star that means a lot. :grouphug:

There's this stupid voice in my head that says "well, of course, I can do it. I just don't want to" :lol::doh::doh::doh:

I keep reading psycho's 5 year smoke free thread for inspiration. It helps.

Want me to see if I can find any "stop smoking" help online leaflets or anything like that? :grouphug:

Fuzzy12
07-12-15, 08:17 AM
Want me to see if I can find any "stop smoking" help online leaflets or anything like that? :grouphug:

Thanks but that's ok. I've looked around. :grouphug:
:thankyou:
I need to keep busy and remind myself of the positives.

I've also just remembered that I have some fruity nicotine gum at home. I'll try that. It usually makes me a bit sick, which is good

Little Missy
07-12-15, 08:29 AM
Golly Fuzzy, I just can't help but think stopping smoking, family arriving, budgie yeast infection, lack of 'you time' for piano and that run = recipe for disaster.

Except that sometimes a million things at once for an ADD person = success!

Go for it! :)

Fuzzy12
07-12-15, 08:30 AM
The positives:

1. I won't stink all the time anymore. I don't have to make sure I keep my distance from people so that I don't engulf them in a cloud of stale tobacco breath when I talk. I won't have to carry mouth wash, deo, hair spray all the time around with me anymore. Maybe I won't even have to wash my clothes after wearing them just once anymore.

2. I won't have to deal with disparaging looks and people thinking I'm disgusting anymore.

3. I will save a lot of money. At least 60,- a month. I'll have to think of something significant I can do with that so it feels like it's worth it. t. Maybe I can give it to charity. Or spend even more on the budgies. Or both.

4. Hubby will be happy I've quit.

5. If we ever decide to have kids...

6. Health bla bla

7. Maybe my skin will look better.

8. Maybe my stamina will improve.

If you think the order of significance is a bit dodgy, well that's the order in which it's motivating me and right now the thought of not stinking anymore, trivial as it is, is what keeps me motivated the most.

Fuzzy12
07-12-15, 08:33 AM
Golly Fuzzy, I just can't help but think stopping smoking, family arriving, budgie yeast infection, lack of 'you time' for piano and that run = recipe for disaster.

Except that sometimes a million things at once for an ADD person = success!

Go for it! :)

I know Missy. I think that too. I had an amazing 6 months but now...let's not pamper me...:lol:

By the way, I did the run. Two weeks ago. I came last and walked quite a bit of it but I did all the obstacles and I had fun and I finished it!!! And I met some super sweet people there too. :)

daveddd
07-12-15, 09:30 AM
The positives:

1. I won't stink all the time anymore. I don't have to make sure I keep my distance from people so that I don't engulf them in a cloud of stale tobacco breath when I talk. I won't have to carry mouth wash, deo, hair spray all the time around with me anymore. Maybe I won't even have to wash my clothes after wearing them just once anymore.

2. I won't have to deal with disparaging looks and people thinking I'm disgusting anymore.

3. I will save a lot of money. At least 60,- a month. I'll have to think of something significant I can do with that so it feels like it's worth it. t. Maybe I can give it to charity. Or spend even more on the budgies. Or both.

4. Hubby will be happy I've quit.

5. If we ever decide to have kids...

6. Health bla bla

7. Maybe my skin will look better.

8. Maybe my stamina will improve.

If you think the order of significance is a bit dodgy, well that's the order in which it's motivating me and right now the thought of not stinking anymore, trivial as it is, is what keeps me motivated the most.

the smell is the worst part for me too, and my teeth are starting to tint a bit

Fuzzy12
07-12-15, 09:37 AM
the smell is the worst part for me too, and my teeth are starting to tint a bit

Good one. I've also got stains on my front teeth, which just won't go with brushing or flossing. I guess they are from smoking. Thanks Dave. I'd completely forgotten about that.

amberwillow
07-12-15, 09:50 AM
Sometimes people report food tasting better too Fuzz, as your system recovers from all of that.

Could be an asset.

VeryTired
07-12-15, 11:27 AM
Good luck! You can do this! It's a gift from you to you, and to everyone who loves you--and to the general public as well. So many benefits! I know it's very hard, but your determination will win through in the end. Hooray for you!

Unmanagable
07-12-15, 11:30 AM
It's been 8 years since I fired up a cig. I finally quit cold turkey out of disgust with self. This was after being a smoker for most of my teen years and all of my adult life. It was the absolute hardest thing I'd faced, until I recently approached everything else I allow myself to put in my mouth and on my body.

The things that really stand out in my mind whenever I get a whiff of smoke that makes me crave are: the feelings of disgust I felt when I scrubbed the nicotine off of my apartment walls and seeing how bright everything else was that I wasn't able to penetrate with my nicotine funk - I can only imagine what the inside of my body looked like if the walls of several big a** rooms were that corroded after 5 years; when I had to re-wash everdamnthing in my home multiple times to finally get the cig stench out; remembering how incredibly crappy I felt each morning when I damn near hacked up a lung upon each rising; and being looked at like I was some kind of a cig w***e or something each time I stepped out for a smoke.

Once it clicks in your mind and heart at the same time, you'll kick it to the curb successfully. I had tried a few times prior to my last attempt, using patches, gum, etc. But they only made me ill and sent me right back to the cancer sticks. I had peeps offering to buy me cartons so I'd light and lighten up. The first few months were a real b****.

stef
07-12-15, 11:40 AM
what motivates me the most and doesnt make me actually panic, is its just such a hassle! making sure you have enough, is there a place to buy them thats open if not, do i have cash on me ( cant buy just 1 pack with debit card here), remebering where the hell is my lighter... it just gets old...

Fuzzy12
07-12-15, 12:00 PM
I think for today the most difficult moment has passed. :)

Little Missy
07-12-15, 01:35 PM
Finding the replacement for the ritual. :)

daveddd
07-12-15, 01:36 PM
what motivates me the most and doesnt make me actually panic, is its just such a hassle! making sure you have enough, is there a place to buy them thats open if not, do i have cash on me ( cant buy just 1 pack with debit card here), remebering where the hell is my lighter... it just gets old...

yea, and for me, when am i gonna squeeze one or 4 in , especially if I'm around a bunch of non smokers

stef
07-12-15, 01:49 PM
yea, and for me, when am i gonna squeeze one or 4 in , especially if I'm around a bunch of non smokers

i hate that!

Fuzzy12
07-12-15, 07:49 PM
i hate that!

Uggh..me too..especially when you are travelling or going out with them and then they all look at you strangely when you are trying to quietly sneak away.

Sigh..I've also made friends though while smoking...

Fuzzy12
07-12-15, 07:53 PM
I was just wondering if I should allow myself one tomorrow. Just one. I've still got a few left...

:rolleyes:

:doh::doh::doh:

Little Missy
07-12-15, 07:55 PM
definitely

Fuzzy12
07-12-15, 07:57 PM
definitely

Really?:D

Little Missy
07-12-15, 10:00 PM
Absolutely. :) I would. One a day. I did it for years before I quit. I LOVED that one a day. In the morning with coffee.

I'd still smoke if they hadn't put that chemical in the tobacco that makes the cigarette go out if left unattended. It ruined the taste.

But you have niccy gum. Maybe you better not. :scratch:

Unmanagable
07-12-15, 10:08 PM
I timed my quit day based on the number of smokes I had left in my pack. I think I had about half of a pack. I made sure the very last one was in the morning with my coffee.

I even went out that evening and bought a pack of an off brand I hated 'just in case' I absolutely had to have one. I almost caved.

I opened the pack, took one out, sniffed it up one side and down the other, grabbed my lighter, then walked outside to the dumpster and tossed them all in it. I refused to go dumpster diving for a smoke. That was the last pack I bought.

stef
07-13-15, 06:59 AM
Absolutely. :) I would. One a day. I did it for years before I quit. I LOVED that one a day. In the morning with coffee.

I'd still smoke if they hadn't put that chemical in the tobacco that makes the cigarette go out if left unattended. It ruined the taste.

But you have niccy gum. Maybe you better not. :scratch:

I didn't know that was "Allowed". one a day...
see this is encouraging. And I know they say "don't say you'll just cut back," but that I can do, especially if I don't THINK about it in particular, and then I just casually say to myself, oh I'll have that one later...
BTW if I ever do quit you're not going to hear about it on here until I actually have not smoked for several months. ;)

Little Missy
07-13-15, 07:16 AM
"Allowed" :lol: That one a day was just SO enjoyable. And it was enough too.

Fuzzy12
07-13-15, 08:01 AM
So I had my one allowed ciggie in the morning. I had 4 left so I thought for 4 days I'll have just one in the morning. And now I just had another one....:o

So the new plan is two a day. Well that's tomorrow and then my pack is over. :o:(

I didn't know that was "Allowed". one a day...
see this is encouraging. And I know they say "don't say you'll just cut back," but that I can do, especially if I don't THINK about it in particular, and then I just casually say to myself, oh I'll have that one later...
BTW if I ever do quit you're not going to hear about it on here until I actually have not smoked for several months. ;)

I think the worst is the thought of never being able to smoke again. I can hold out for quite a few days quite easily if I know that at the end of that I can smoke again. So, I think, if you can really just stick to one a day for a while it helps because at least it gently breaks the habit of having a cigarette every 2h or so.

Nope, for me it's just this pack and that's it. I'm not going to buy another pack!!! :o

Little Missy
07-13-15, 08:47 AM
Well, now you have blown the one a day allotment. :lol:

Fuzzy12
07-13-15, 10:24 AM
Well, now you have blown the one a day allotment. :lol:

Big time. I've had another two so I've smoked all my cigarettes today. Oh well, at least now I can stop worrying about it ... :rolleyes:

I'm feeling so damn sorry for myself, it's almost as if I'm grieving. I guess I'm grieving for the loss of a dear, old friend. Not a very good friend but we've had some good times and they have helped me... :(

Oh no, I've just discovered another pack of ciggies in my cupboard. :lol: :doh: :doh: :doh: It's not the brand I usually smoke but still ...

I'm just going to throw away this pack, I think. I need to stop at some point and it's not going to get any easier. The point might as well be now.

Unmanagable
07-13-15, 11:01 AM
From my experience, the more you try to reason with yourself about it, the more you stir up ALL the stressors that make you crave them. I think LM mentioned replacing the ritual. That was key for me. It took a long while, and I gained weight in the process due to choosing replacements that were equally unhealthy, but I felt those choices were healthier than the cigs, even though as far as food choices go, they were anything but good for me.

I still have a magnet on my fridge that the state agency I used to work for distributed to peeps trying to kick the habit that says:

When you have a craving, practice the four D's:

Delay (It may pass)

Deep breathe (you can do it)

Drink water (soothe yourself)

Do something else (distraction may help)

Looking at it everyday helped. Stef has a good point, too, about not sharing with others until you're already under way and have some quit time under your belt. I've learned that my willpower is just as sensitive as the rest of me and the more feedback I get, especially from peeps who tend to give me permission to keep doing the thing, the more I'm liable to keep doing what it is I'm trying to quit.

Fuzzy12
07-13-15, 11:16 AM
From my experience, the more you try to reason with yourself about it, the more you stir up ALL the stressors that make you crave them. I think LM mentioned replacing the ritual. That was key for me. It took a long while, and I gained weight in the process due to choosing replacements that were equally unhealthy, but I felt those choices were healthier than the cigs, even though as far as food choices go, they were anything but good for me.

I still have a magnet on my fridge that the state agency I used to work for distributed to peeps trying to kick the habit that says:

When you have a craving, practice the four D's:

Delay (It may pass)

Deep breathe (you can do it)

Drink water (soothe yourself)

Do something else (distraction may help)

Looking at it everyday helped. Stef has a good point, too, about not sharing with others until you're already under way and have some quit time under your belt. I've learned that my willpower is just as sensitive as the rest of me and the more feedback I get, especially from peeps who tend to give me permission to keep doing the thing, the more I'm liable to keep doing what it is I'm trying to quit.

Thanks. I think, the big problem for me is resisting the temptation of an easy opportunity. So I've thrown away that last pack I found and I'm pretty sure I can resist going to the shop to buy another pack.

Sigh, I tell people so that I feel more accountable. :scratch:

Unmanagable
07-13-15, 11:36 AM
Thanks. I think, the big problem for me is resisting the temptation of an easy opportunity. So I've thrown away that last pack I found and I'm pretty sure I can resist going to the shop to buy another pack.

Sigh, I tell people so that I feel more accountable. :scratch:

I dig it, and if it works for you, rock on and keep workin' it. Just mentioning what I know hasn't worked for me from my past experiences. I had a few peeps helping me be accountable, but when I announced it early in the game in a wider context, I had a lot of feedback supporting why it was okay to keep doing it, and I'd ultimately cave every time.

Fuzzy12
07-14-15, 09:20 AM
I'm struggling today. I haven't smoked so far today and I also haven't done anything else. I'm just sitting at my desk playing games, reading the news and well, that's all. I'm feeling irritable and restless. Uggh....

Little Missy
07-14-15, 09:49 AM
I'm struggling today. I haven't smoked so far today and I also haven't done anything else. I'm just sitting at my desk playing games, reading the news and well, that's all. I'm feeling irritable and restless. Uggh....

Chin up!:)

The oncoming irritability and restlessness was why I proposed the one a day theory of mine. It satiates yet requires discipline to keep it up.

Fuzzy12
07-14-15, 11:51 AM
Chin up!:)

The oncoming irritability and restlessness was why I proposed the one a day theory of mine. It satiates yet requires discipline to keep it up.

Sigh, I guess we all learnt yesterday that I don't have that discipline..:(:rolleyes::lol:

midnightstar
07-14-15, 04:16 PM
(((Fuzzy))) :grouphug:

Little Missy
07-14-15, 10:07 PM
Actually, chewing tobacco is way better for nicotine delivery. Like it is so good it slams you up against the wall in awe.

It is a rather unsightly mess to clean up off of your teeth though. But good!

sarahsweets
07-15-15, 03:27 AM
Good for you for trying. For me, I am just not ready to quit. I havent suffered the negative consequences that go along with smoking yet and from my alcoholism Ive learned that pain and consequence bring about change-when the pain of drinking go great enough, I surrendered and quit. Same thing with smoking for me. Right now, despite all the evidence that I am aware of, I like smoking too much. I have learned to accept this for now, because honestly, my fear is I'll quit smoking and pick up alcohol again and as far as harm reduction goes, smoking is the better choice for me. I was making great progress with using the e-cig at night but the two I have got leaky and I havent drug my lazy but out to the e-cig shop to ask them to help me fix it. That did help me for sure.

Fuzzy12
07-17-15, 03:26 AM
Sigh.i too just like smoking too much. Till now id made the conscious decision that the benefits of smoking outweigh the negatives. No one could ever understand that. People understand smoking out of peer pressure or addiction but not out of choice apparently. That's not to say that I'm not addicted but I guess it's like with a medication. You weigh the benefits and side effects of taking meds. Except that j can't quantify the long term harmful effects of smoking of course.

Anyway, I've been good. 4days ciggie free but it's not fun. I hate it. I can't focus at work. I'm stressed and depressed. I miss my smoking breaks. The day seems empty without them. Though I guess once you start attributing the meaning of your life and your happiness to cigarettes it probably means it's high time to quit..:lol:

I do like not stinking though..or not having to plan to buy cigarettes so I don't run out.

Uggh.:rolleyes:

midnightstar
07-17-15, 06:15 AM
Just think of the money you'll save as well by not smoking :grouphug: You can use that money to treat yourself to something nice or buy yourself something you need :grouphug:

Fuzzy12
07-17-15, 06:20 AM
Just think of the money you'll save as well by not smoking :grouphug: You can use that money to treat yourself to something nice or buy yourself something you need :grouphug:

Yup and no more stinking!!!!!!!!!!

I forget to get my fruity nicotine gums. Again!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

SneezeSnout
10-18-15, 12:53 AM
You can do it! Look forward to food tasting better and not shaking all the time. Do you already have a plan in place to deal with cravings and other obstacles? I found that it really helps to create a contract or plan for myself in order to keep me honest and on track.

One huge thing for me at first was bargaining, where I'd tell myself "one doesn't matter" or "I just have one with coffee" etc. Basically, I'd try and convince myself that smoking could be alright if I didn't or did another behavior. Another thing I did was kept track of how much I was spending on smoking, $6.75 a day, and kept the cash in my bedside stand. I now have over $700 in cash and every time I think about smoking I look at that stack of money.

I believe that you can do it!

Jacksper
02-25-16, 08:38 AM
How is it going now Fuzzy? Still not smoking?

Edit: I have found my answer in another thread already, great to read that you did it, well done! Also nice that you use exercise as a kind of substitute. I do that too and I find it far more fulfilling!