View Full Version : Mixing Sertraline and Fluoxetine

Powderbucket
07-16-15, 03:24 AM
Hello everyone!

I am asking this on behalf of another lady who is not on these forums.

Her mother has been diagnosed as depressed for about 8 years now, and after playing about with some meds, she is now taking Sertraline together with Fluoxetine (Zoloft and Lilly) as a routine. However, she still seems to be very depressed. She often phones her daughter just to tell her how sad she is feeling. She sleeps a lot of the day away, watches TV and eats a heck of a lot. It would appear that she's slipped back into a depressed.

My question is, however, can you really mix Fluoxetine with Sertraline? Is this an okay idea and are there any interactions?

Abi
07-16-15, 03:31 AM
No good.

Serotonin Syndrome is possible. It's rare but deadly.

Have her try Effexor or combine ONE SSRI with a non serotegenic ad like Wellbutrin.

Powderbucket
07-16-15, 04:10 AM
No good.

Serotonin Syndrome is possible. It's rare but deadly.

Have her try Effexor or combine ONE SSRI with a non serotegenic ad like Wellbutrin.

Thanks Abi :). I know about Serotonin Syndrome, but should the combination make her depression worse though?

sarahsweets
07-16-15, 07:51 AM
Dont take this the wrong way but her doctor is NUTS! I seriously question his compentence. She is on prozac and zoloft ( not zoloft and Lilly) they are both SSRI's and its beyond overkill. And yes anything that f**ks with your seratonin like that can cause depression,mood,mania to become worse. They are not happy pills and certainly not with that combo.

Powderbucket
07-16-15, 09:42 AM
Dont take this the wrong way but her doctor is NUTS! I seriously question his compentence. She is on prozac and zoloft ( not zoloft and Lilly) they are both SSRI's and its beyond overkill. And yes anything that f**ks with your seratonin like that can cause depression,mood,mania to become worse. They are not happy pills and certainly not with that combo.

Thanks sarahsweets :doh: We definitely need to do something about this then.