View Full Version : 2 weeks ago I think I almost died.

sarahsweets
07-17-15, 04:42 AM
They dont have a WTF section but I need to get this out in order to move on.
615 on a monday my husband was getting into his truck for work when I came out to tell him something, all of a sudden he started screaming "get back in the house! In the house!"
Well I took off running, fell and turned to see a white pickup crash through a telephone pole coming right for our driveway, at the last second it swerved and went through my neighbor's fence, out the other side into to cars and slammed into my other neighbors house.
A neighbor also leaving for work started yelling "stay in the car!" But the guy in the car took off and ran about 500 feet toward our light rail train tracks. He was hit by a train and killed, absolutely gruesomely.

The back story.....
Two miles away he was at a diner and started fighting with an employee, they called the police and he took off at 90pmh came off the highway flew down my 35mph street and wrecked. In total he went through two poles, a tree, 2 cars and house.
I cant even begin to describe that horrible sound! My husband called 911 but it was too late. My road was closed all day, There were state police, transit police, local police, fire and rescue, energy repairmen, and telephone repairmen. I had to give recorded statements to police which I have never done before. With a fatality I guess thats what happens.

My husband saved me and himself. The running theory is he saw us at the last second and swerved. Thank GOD no one was hurt or outside other than us. I only got hurt because I was in flight mode. The police told me there was intoxication involved.
Now here is the thing. It turns out I know him from AA. He shared the night before that he was struggling, he had socialized with common friends that weekend and seemed relatively ok to everyone.
There is always a lesson to be learned....
My addiction to AA is 100% a fatal disease. Anyone who doubts the disease theory would change their mind had they witnessed it.
I feel like I have PTSD if thats even possible. I cant stop replaying the scene over and over in my mind. My husband saved my life and I will tell you that he jumps out of his skin whenever a loud truck barrels by the house.

This poor soul. The AA rumor questions are did he try and run into the train or was it a blackout? The rail near my house only has to blare the horn if its at a crossing. This was no crossing and its very quiet. He wouldnt have heard it, and there was an impeccable timing involved if he was just in a blackout.
I guess the pain was so great and fear so real that he just lost it?
Take heed...It only takes one time, one relapse to have devastating consequences.

I couldnt tell if this belonged in addiction or not, Mods please move as you see fit.

A few people have shared their struggle with alcohol. Fellow members....If you dont accept the depths of your addiction it will progress and It can kill you. It is fatal. If you have any thoughts of being an alcoholic, find help now, whatever works for you.

I just want these images to fade and I dont know how to stop the tape replaying in my head.

Thank you all for reading and any comments are welcome.

Love&peace
Sarah

Pilgrim
07-17-15, 05:38 AM
Go for a walk and look at the sun. Thinking of you,

Fuzzy12
07-17-15, 06:02 AM
Sarah :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

What a horrific experience. Maybe try not to fight the images or the tape replaying in your head. It's impossible to stop a thought that wants to be thought. Be good to yourself, ok?? :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

midnightstar
07-17-15, 06:49 AM
Oh no sarah, so sorry to read this :grouphug: Be kind to yourself :grouphug:

Flory
07-17-15, 07:10 AM
Love you girl, I know how traumatic this was for you to witness. It sounds like you are still very much in shock from what's happened and that's no surprise at all I hope things start to feel better soon xxxxx

willow129
07-17-15, 08:16 AM
Oh my gosh Sarah thank god for your husband.

Thank you for sharing this message as well, it's so important for people to hear about this. There's a couple folks who posted recently on the forum who I hope will listen to what you're saying...

What you're describing about the tape replaying and replaying is (interestingly) exactly what my landlord experienced the day he got in a car accident. You could be quoting him. This is making me think it's a normal response to shock and trauma...
If you can maybe have a warm cup of tea and be with someone close and talk through things a little that might help you feel grounded. Or talk about something that makes you happy and relaxed. I agree that you shouldn't fight it though. Maybe try taking a nap or meditating, progressive muscle relaxation stuff?

:grouphug:

amberwillow
07-17-15, 08:55 AM
I'm sorry that you're in this position Sarah, but also I'm glad your husband was able to react so quickly and keep you both safe.

My mother was in a horrible sitution once that caused her persistant flashbacks of the scene of her trauma for a long time afterwards. When she sought help, her pdoc used a method of getting her to view the scene from a step backwards, then another step, taking her further and further removed from the scene with each recollection. She found the technique gave her relief and eventually the flashbacks stopped altogether.

I don't know if this could be helpful to you. I just felt pushed to share.

Unmanagable
07-17-15, 09:52 AM
I remember reading that auto accidents, even near misses or those you aren't directly involved in, are very traumatizing to our bodies. Take good care of you. <3

Abi
07-17-15, 10:18 AM
:grouphug: Sarah

Luvmybully
07-17-15, 11:14 AM
OMG Sarah. :grouphug:

Lunacie
07-17-15, 01:20 PM
Wow! Just ... wow.

I'm so glad you're safe. I'm so sorry for how it all ended.
And you knew the guy. :(

Yes, you and your hubby are feeling some PTSD, of course you are.
Loud engines are going to make your heart race for awhile.

I was in a car crash a couple of years ago. A red SUV was passing where
he shouldn't have and sideswiped me. Thankfully he didn't T-bone me.

For awhile any vehicle on my left side while driving freaked me out.
Then it was only red ones. Now I'm generally okay unless the other driver
is weaving or gets too close to the dividing line.

The guy in the SUV hit a deep ditch and rolled 4 times ... according to
other witnesses. I only saw the first roll over as I tried to avoid doing the
same thing myself. I was sure he was dead or badly hurt, but he got out
and was running around looking for his dog that was thrown out and ran off.

So ... more traumatic for me because my car was hit.
And ... more traumatic for you because someone you knew died.
If I can recover from the PTSD, so will you. :grouphug:

stef
07-17-15, 02:28 PM
sarah omg :grouphug:
I'm glad you're ok

anonymouslyadd
07-17-15, 11:54 PM
Thank God youre OK.

:grouphug:

Amtram
07-23-15, 05:49 PM
That is incredibly scary. As awful as things were, they could have been worse. Glad you were spared from disaster. (())

Little Missy
07-23-15, 06:46 PM
I am so sorry this happened to you.

Just reading it brought back 'that sound.' It never goes away.