View Full Version : Fish Oil Supplements

Syndicki
07-20-15, 10:05 PM
Hi,

I have read about the benefits of Fish Oils to counter ADD symptoms. There seems to be many different types on the market. Can anyone recommend what I should be looking for? Specific brands? Specific supplements.

I am a 32 year old male and I was diagnoised about 6 months ago. Concentration and motivation are big issues with me .

Thanks

dvdnvwls
07-20-15, 11:36 PM
Some fish oil is marketed as helpful with heart and blood lipids; other fish oil is marketed as helpful with brain function. (Obvious which one you're after. :) ) Even this distinction is not a supremely important one, since it's a difference only of which proportions of "good stuff" are in there - all the fish oil on all of the shelves does contain the "good stuff" that you want.

You are unlikely to see a big effect. You are also not going to do yourself any harm.

someothertime
07-21-15, 01:51 AM
Many will contain different ratio's of DHA and EPA...... it's a personal call which would be better..... or if at all it matters that much.....

Most advice, with relation to an ADDers needs points toward choosing a product with a HIGHER EPA content....... in the past, most products had more DHA..... ( do a search and read some articles..... there is science behind this..... though many people read into that different things so it's best to read several articles.... )....... many will agree it is very beneficial for ADHD.... in combination with good lifestyle..... I would best describe it as a baseline helper...... it's not overly noticable though if you kept a diary i'd bet grogginess/scatteredness type feelings would drop in most.

Products? There are way too many to mention...... and they all pretty much do the same thing with the exception of combo's... for example..... if it was combined with a multi with good levels of calcium..... maybe B..... maybe magnesium..... then that might help some a teency bit better....

A few other points;

-How is it made / sourced
-What is the * concentration * amount of active ingredient..... not volume of capsule.
-What are the sizes and dosage requirements ( make or break for me .... huge pills multiple times a day are very off putting )......
-Oh, price too..... but this is pretty much a get what you pay for thing...... i'd suggest discount chemists, in big jars, when on special....... be careful though....... this stuff is usually on special because there are only a few months left....... and fish oil is generally not a thing you want to have much past it's used by date!

That should be heaps of info to make an informed decision......... :)

Powderbucket
07-21-15, 07:20 AM
What someothertime said above is very true! The type of Omega Oil and the concentration is very important.

You won't be able to get away with one type of Omega oil, you'll need Omega 3, 6 and 9. I take 1200mg of EPA and DHA collectively per day. I take this in the morning. At about 4pm, I dose up with 1500mg of Evening Primrose Oil which consists of ELA and Linoleic Acid. Seems to be good for me, although I cannot combat ADD with Omegas alone. My meds are the biggest game changer, the Oils just help.

Little Missy
07-21-15, 07:33 AM
Try to find the kind that won't have you burping up the fishy taste.

Lunacie
07-21-15, 12:06 PM
I've used the cheap stuff from the dollar store and the expensive brand on sale
at Walgreens.

The cheap stuff actually works better for me than the expensive stuff.

It doesn't work for everyone, but neither does Ritalin, or Adderall.

For those who find it helpful, it works as well as Adderall or Ritalin.

For those who don't find it helpful, brand source concentration probably won't
make any difference.

It's worth trying.