View Full Version : Possible association between Alzheimers and Parkinson's

Kunga Dorji
07-25-15, 09:09 PM
This is an offshoot from the stimulant safety thread:

I made this comment in my original post:

P { margin-bottom: 0.21cm; } My overall observations as a GP (about 20 years in the same practice watching many of my middle aged and elderly patients slip into dementia), suggest to me that the ADHD pattern may be a precursor to neurodegenerative disorders such as Alzheimer's and Parkinson's Disease. In this setting symptoms like restless legs may be a prodrome of conditions such as Parkinson's disease.

There have not been adequate studies to prove or disproee this one way or another- and there will not be for at least another 20 years until longitudinal surveys of populations diagnosed with ADHD and monitored for symptom severiy and control are done.

What I presented here is observational data.
The a substantial proportion of patients I observed decline into Alzheimers when in the one practice for 20 years had a pattern of premorbid personality functioning that now (in retrospect) suggests ADHD. The decline into an Alzheimer's was usually quite a distinct phase.

However if we consider the matter in terms of the phenomenology of ADHD we do have a number of physiologically mechanisms.

There are chronic areas of abnormal brain activation in ADHD- and those underactive neurones are prone to oxidative damage and apoptosis.

Secondly, undertreated ADHD is socially isolating.(that is proven science) Social isolation is a recognised driver of depression.
Depression produces both more social isolation and hypoactivity and chronic depression is unequivocally associated with cerebral atrophy and increased risk of dementia.

ADHD people have more head injuries and a higher risk of obesity and addictions. None or these are compatible with long term health of the neuraxis.

Finally- many undertreated ADHD individuals crave sugar and this increases the risk of diabetes. The glycated end products in Diabetes are neurotoxic- and increase neurodegeneration.

So- from my point of view there is no reasona t all to take ay comfort from the absence of studies showing an association between ADHD and increased risk of Alzheimers.