View Full Version : Do you think about the purpose of life

NateDEEzy
07-27-15, 06:38 PM
Do any of you guys think about the purpose of life? I do a lot- to my own detriment I think. And I figured that most people who suffer a lot eventually wonder why it's happening to them and if there's a bigger reason behind it.

anonymouslyadd
07-28-15, 02:22 AM
Yes, I do. I think it's a good thing.:)

aeon
07-28-15, 02:45 AM
I used to, but I eventually came to a pair of “truths” about the idea (personal, existential), so I don’t think much about it these days.

That could certainly change in light of new information or experiences, so I remain open to consideration and building a new framework, if necessary.

Cheers,
Ian

October
07-28-15, 02:46 AM
Do any of you guys think about the purpose of life? I do a lot- to my own detriment I think. And I figured that most people who suffer a lot eventually wonder why it's happening to them and if there's a bigger reason behind it.

I think it's better we don't. Similar to a fish in a fish bowl, or someone in a county jail cell, you can litterally pace and worry yourself into instability over things you really can't control or change anyway.

I think in general we're better served keeping a more immediate and limited scope of focus, however romantic it may sound to think about big-picture things.

Thinking too much about the purpose of life, where we are from, where we are going, especially for those of us who might have ups and downs (before or after taking meds, random moods, depression, etc) is more destabilizing than it is helpful. It's better to form habits and an outlook that causes you to look up at the stars and think "how pretty" and smile as a first reaction, rather than to see the stars and immediately contemplate how we're all going to die and are so insignificant especially within the context of life and the universe.

I think of it as a method of self-preservation to limit what I think about, if I have extra brain power and want to contemplate something, I focus it more inward, and log online to learn about spreadsheets, sewing, photoshop, oil painting, stuff like that. Keeps me feeling a little more in control and less likely to be overwhelmed.

Unmanagable
07-28-15, 03:01 AM
I'm convinced the purpose of life is love, in all its splendor, and it's up to us to tap into it within ourselves to be able to tap into it on any grander scale. It's the only thing that makes sense to my soul, it feels right, and it's what I keep coming back to after I exhaust all other options. Taking in all the beauty of the different forms is my favorite past time.

stef
07-28-15, 03:23 AM
I think it's healthy to wonder about the purpose of life (not in the sense of purpose of suffering and of course this can spiral down way too easily if things are going badly) but in a broader sense, to find meaning and what is important to you; if more people thought about these things I think the world would be a better place.

sarahsweets
07-28-15, 04:02 AM
Not necessarily the purpose in life, but MY purpose in life.

Pilgrim
07-28-15, 05:38 AM
This became an issue for me not that long ago. I don't think about it to much. When I do something physical I seem to have more clearer thinking.

I try to live by the motto ,' good things will happen'. And I have to believe this. Normally if I wake up and I see how beautiful the day is; that keeps me positive.

Tmoney
07-28-15, 07:56 AM
I think I know what you're talking about. I get into deep thought and it's scary to think this world was created and people were created and what if it never happened and there was just nothing? What if there was no earth or mankind?
It amazes me! I also like to think what the world will be like in the next hundred years?

It helps me to appreciate what I do have and to make the best of life no matter what my problems or issues are. If we were looking into this world from the outside and they said to us, Okay, you can join life but only if you accept these deficiencies which are going to make life much harder for you.

I would have said yes send me in there and I'll fight and make the best of the opportunity given to me until its time to leave this earth!

So that's what I do everyday!

Life's a garden....Dig it!

Little Missy
07-28-15, 09:09 AM
I never have thought about the purpose of life until now...:eek:

MikhailTal
07-28-15, 09:44 AM
When I'm depressed, I think about life and its purpose. When I think of life and its purpose, I get depressed. I need to stay active and keep my thoughts on what is here and in the now. When I'm not able to do this and start the existential ruminating, I always rediscover those truths I'd like to forget. Luckily, human beings forget all the time.

Skyf@ll
07-28-15, 10:17 AM
It amazes me! I also like to think what the world will be like in the next hundred years?

No need, we will all be dead by then according to the Daily Mail.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3172840/Scientists-use-computer-model-predict-end-world.html

I generally don't think much about the purpose of life but over the past year I have took an interest in astronomy.

I find it really interesting and it's great "brain food" lol

However, as already mentioned it makes you realise how small we really are in this vast vast universe.

BellaVita
07-28-15, 10:37 AM
Yes, basically every single day.

4rch0n4n6313
07-29-15, 03:20 PM
If there is anything that I have learned in all my grand pupah ruminating (the comment was not meant to be self depreciating or egotistical but an analysis that concludes I dont have all the answers though I am constantly seeking) is that the purpose of life is what you create it to be. Maybe the purpose in life is to define your purpose in life!

aeon
07-30-15, 04:29 AM
My purpose in life is to remain open and vulnerable to the world, such that I may receive with grace the loving gifts others share and present to me as part of their expression of self, and in return, lovingly and freely share of myself without expectation, fear, or shame.

Interestingly, this has everything to do with being myself, and nothing to do with doing anything else, so it’s largely a process of relaxing and trusting, and, well, that’s not so easy for me, I’ve found.

jman05
07-31-15, 08:19 PM
In the grand scheme of things, there is no purpose. From an evolutionary perspective, it is to find happiness, and successfully pass on our genes through a mate.

finallyfound10
07-31-15, 11:39 PM
I used to know my purpose in life for the most part but then my life got very screwed up and now I am not sure at all. I think that it helps to know what it is so I hope that we all find it.

Ing3nium
08-02-15, 02:58 AM
I daydream so much!!! Even when I'm on Methylphenidate (just started). But after a while I manage to stick to the task and not daydream.

I always narrate a story or ask questions or whatsoever in my head 24/7. I HAVE thought about the meaning and purpose of life, and I tend to over do it.

Are inattentive far more daydreamers than their hyperactive counterparts?

Little Missy
08-02-15, 07:15 AM
In the grand scheme of things, there is no purpose. From an evolutionary perspective, it is to find happiness, and successfully pass on our genes through a mate.

I rather like this dry response.

tomsawyr
08-02-15, 08:16 PM
I used to a lot in my 20s when I was a philosophy major. I remember it used to bug me because I couldn't "figure it out." I felt like someone in quest of The Truth. I found it, and it's not so great. It is just a statement describing the way things really are. Ha Ha.

OK, so back to the problem. Really, you probably want to know the *meaning* of *your* life. It's a hard one to answer. Meaning is something that is given to a thing, it's not out there, buried underneath something, waiting to be uncovered. You create meaning and assign it to the world (or your little part of it).

Then there is value. It is what you think is important and good. Everyone has their own recipe. One of mine is understanding stuff, other values could be helping people, or raising a family, or getting rich.

Goals come after your values. Values are like a compass to give you a direction, goals are points along the journey. Some say goals aren't even necessary, so long as you are headed in the right direction, you will make achievements along the way. I don't know.

So, really life is what you make of it. It's a cliche, I know, but one thing -- you must do it, because no one else will, and if you don't you will loose it. Don't worry it doesn't have to be done all at once, and there never is a "once and for all" answer. You kinda make it up as you go along. There are billions of other people in your same existential situation. Find the ones that seem like they have something going, and figure out what you think they have (don't necessarily ask them!)

NateDEEzy
08-03-15, 06:24 PM
Is it mean for us to procreate though? Lol. Like seriously, I've never felt what I think to be the average person's desire to have kids. To me it's too overwhelming and I don't want to subject another human being to what I have as a reality.

Greyhound1
08-03-15, 07:01 PM
I think the purpose of life is whatever we make of our own. No more, no less. We are all just pieces of a much larger puzzle that some how fits together. The human race is made up with only individuals.

tomsawyr
08-04-15, 01:50 AM
In any case, you can't figure it out by just thinking about it any more than you can work hard and get rich.

phazonConduit
08-10-15, 01:39 AM
The purpose of life, to me, is subjective. I don't think there's a unanimous objective purpose, but I also don't think it's solely one thing. I think the purpose is malleable--it changes as we develop further and understand that the world is constantly changing and that lack of inertia will continuously affect our purpose because whatever lies ahead is truly unknown. I feel I can shape my life the best way I can, but something can occur that could dramatically shift its course.

icarusinflames
08-10-15, 09:44 AM
I seem to think of this a few times a year or perhaps less frequently. Sometimes I may think of it for sad reasons, but often it's more of an intellectual game or exercise and I don't feel scared or happy about it.

The meaning of life can not be about attainment at all because there are many cases of individuals who lived, even if only briefly, and they could not achieve those qualities or states. And there can not be a situation of some individuals totally failing at the meaning of life or being excluded from it. The meaning of life would have to apply to all living humans, not just the "ideal cases".

The meaning of life could be to simply be a witness. Our senses are a clue. The eyes are the visible part of the brain and they are generally looking all over the world, far and near.

We also sense things emotionally, and our emotions are all over the place too, in the high and low things. We seem to be good at detecting the things we don't like as much as the things that bring us pleasure. I see the meaning of life containing more ambiguity than anyone can handle, therefore making the question unsolvable. Which is kind of cool, and perhaps a reason we think of it.

Fuzzy12
08-10-15, 11:01 AM
Yes, of course, all the time though more so when I was younger. Now, I'm gradually becoming more and more convinced that there is no purpose. Even if there is a purpose, I doubt I'll ever find out what it is (or that it exists) so that's not a lot better than there not being a purpose at all. It used to trouble me quite a bit and even now, especially when I'm depressed, it weighs quite heavily on me. Funnily enough, I've stopped brooding so much about it after I started taking stimulants..:rolleyes:

I doubt that happiness is the purpose of life from an evolutionary perspective unless happy people pass on more copies of their genes...

Fuzzy12
08-10-15, 11:14 AM
Is it mean for us to procreate though? Lol. Like seriously, I've never felt what I think to be the average person's desire to have kids. To me it's too overwhelming and I don't want to subject another human being to what I have as a reality.

Well, I think that evolution and purpose of life are two completely different things. Evolution is a process that explains how life is sustained and continued and it happens through living beings trying to pass on copies of their genes. It's sort of self fulfilling. I mean procreation ensures that life in some form continues but that doesn't mean it's the purpose of life, it's just how life is passed on. Otherwise it would be a bit like saying baking a cake is the purpose of a cake. :scratch:

Of course you can make passing on copies of your genes your purpose in life but I don't think that makes more sense than anything else does. If anything at all, I think that evolution shows that there very likely is no purpose or meaning in life.

Sigh, I agree though that I'm not keen to create another human being just like me ... :rolleyes::(