View Full Version : Just got prescribed methylphenidate!!!!!!!!! :d :d

Ing3nium
07-30-15, 12:32 AM
I have just got prescribed methylphenidate 5 mg short acting 2 or 3 times a day. I suffer from inattentive type of ADHD, and I'm still to hand in the prescription.

In the meantime, how good is 5 mg 2/3 times a day? Although it is a very small dose, will it actually improve attention a little? The dosages will be increased as I meet with my psychiatrist on monthly basis.

With respects to Modafinil 200 mg, how much 'better' is Methylphenidate when it comes to increasing attention/concentration?

:grouphug::yes::thankyou::):o

Ing3nium
07-30-15, 12:35 AM
I have just got prescribed methylphenidate 5 mg short acting 2 or 3 times a day. I suffer from inattentive type of ADHD, and I'm still to hand in the prescription.

In the meantime, how good is 5 mg 2/3 times a day? Although it is a very small dose, will it actually improve attention a little? The dosages will be increased as I meet with my psychiatrist on monthly basis.

With respects to Modafinil 200 mg, how much 'better' is Methylphenidate when it comes to increasing attention/concentration?

:grouphug::yes::thankyou::):o

Hey I forgot to mention. Also, how good is 5 mg Methylphenidate in comparison to Ephedrine and caffeine?

namazu
07-30-15, 12:56 AM
Totally depends on your body/brain chemistry and metabolism.

Some people are very sensitive to stimulants and experience benefits (or even side effects) at small doses like 5mg. Others require a higher dose.

It's good to start with a low dose, in case you're one of the very sensitive ones, and also so you don't end up taking more than is optimal for you.

A month is a long time for titration of an initial dose of methylphenidate. You should know within a week or two (possibly even a day or two) how the medication is affecting you.

I say a week or two not because it would take that long to have an effect, but just because that gives you time to observe the effects over a range of days. If your first couple of days taking it you're also sleep-deprived, or it's a weekend and your activities are different from usual, or whatever, then it might be more difficult to get a good picture of how the medication is affecting you.

I would suggest seeing how the medication affects you, first of all. You may not want/need to increase the dose. If you find it is not having an effect, or it's causing side effects, or it's providing a small benefit, it might be worth calling the doctor before your monthly appointment to discuss any adjustments that might need to be made.

Best wishes!

aeon
07-30-15, 01:51 AM
I am Dx ADHD-PI, and in the past I was Rx methylphenidate.

I can’t comment on a 5mg dosage, because I never had that, but it does sound like you have a doctor who is engaging in the process of titration properly. Be patient, this can take time, and is so very important in achieving an understanding of your response to treatment, and potential for improved well-being and function through a managed pharmacological approach.

I cannot comment on Modafinil, as I have never had it.

In terms of treating and addressing my ADHD, methylphenidate is superior to anything caffeine ever did, and vastly superior to my experience of ephedrine, which in retrospect was quite nasty, and is a drug I think dangerous based on its benefit-risk ratio.

In the end, I found that a level of methylphenidate adequate to address my ADHD was too anxiogenic for me, and I pursued other options with my doctor, but that’s me, and I am sure you will have your own experience with it.

well wishes,
Ian

Ing3nium
07-30-15, 02:58 AM
I am Dx ADHD-PI, and in the past I was Rx methylphenidate.

I canít comment on a 5mg dosage, because I never had that, but it does sound like you have a doctor who is engaging in the process of titration properly. Be patient, this can take time, and is so very important in achieving an understanding of your response to treatment, and potential for improved well-being and function through a managed pharmacological approach.

I cannot comment on Modafinil, as I have never had it.

In terms of treating and addressing my ADHD, methylphenidate is superior to anything caffeine ever did, and vastly superior to my experience of ephedrine, which in retrospect was quite nasty, and is a drug I think dangerous based on its benefit-risk ratio.

In the end, I found that a level of methylphenidate adequate to address my ADHD was too anxiogenic for me, and I pursued other options with my doctor, but thatís me, and I am sure you will have your own experience with it.

well wishes,
Ian

Please tell me more about CNS stimulations of Ephedrine and Methylphenidate. Lets say for example, which dose of each would produce roughly equal amount of CNS stimulation? I obviously know that the mount of Ephedrine required would sleep me to sleep forever... :giggle:

Would it be like 5 mg Methylphenidate to maybe 300 mg Ephedrine? I'm just trying to have an idea of how strong is Methylphenidate.

Ing3nium
07-30-15, 03:08 AM
Totally depends on your body/brain chemistry and metabolism.

Some people are very sensitive to stimulants and experience benefits (or even side effects) at small doses like 5mg. Others require a higher dose.

It's good to start with a low dose, in case you're one of the very sensitive ones, and also so you don't end up taking more than is optimal for you.

A month is a long time for titration of an initial dose of methylphenidate. You should know within a week or two (possibly even a day or two) how the medication is affecting you.

I say a week or two not because it would take that long to have an effect, but just because that gives you time to observe the effects over a range of days. If your first couple of days taking it you're also sleep-deprived, or it's a weekend and your activities are different from usual, or whatever, then it might be more difficult to get a good picture of how the medication is affecting you.

I would suggest seeing how the medication affects you, first of all. You may not want/need to increase the dose. If you find it is not having an effect, or it's causing side effects, or it's providing a small benefit, it might be worth calling the doctor before your monthly appointment to discuss any adjustments that might need to be made.

Best wishes!

Thanks, maybe it is to see whether I suffer any kind of side effects e.g. pulse, heart rate, etc. Although the next meeting is about a months time, the doctor said that e-mail will be primary form of communication after that.

aeon
07-30-15, 03:15 AM
I’m sorry, but Google will have to be your friend as I haven’t researched this and my experience with ephedrine was thankfully brief.

Ephedrine, for me, was a white knuckle ride of shattered nerves and wide-eyed anxiety, a true living hell than I never want to repeat. There was nothing good about it in my experience. It also seemed to have tremendous PNS stimulation.

Caffeine has some mental benefit for me from 40-120mg, but much beyond that and the negatives outweigh the positives.

Don’t worry about comparing and contrasting...methylphenidate is a very different thing altogether. All psychostimulants aren’t on the same spectrum, if you catch my drift.

And that said, the right amount of methylphenidate for you will be the one where your ADHD is addressed, without having other significant side-effects, most certainly any of those that resemble the “push” of things like caffeine, nicotine, or ephedrine.

Cheers,
Ian

sarahsweets
07-30-15, 05:10 AM
So are you saying you take provigil and ritalin?

Ing3nium
07-30-15, 04:10 PM
So are you saying you take provigil and ritalin?

I have now discontinued the use of Modafinil.