View Full Version : Consolidated to-do lists

willow129
08-03-15, 02:17 PM
Hi all!
The clear plastic bins thread made me think of this

Do any of you have a trick for having a consolidated to-do list/calendar that you actually CHECK?

I've actually been using kanbanflow a lot for to-do because it's so easy to make tasks and subtasks on that, really useful. But it's hard that it's on the internet I guess, and sometimes our internet tweaks. And as we all know, sometimes sites crash...I tried to replicate it on a word doc but...I just couldn't quite get it. Also the competitive thing on it is fun. :)

I don't have a smart phone because I feel I would never accomplish anything.

I have a planner for the calendar, I used to always use this for to-do lists BUT, planner vs. kanbanflow:

Planner -
fits in my purse so I can take it everywhere
Kanban -
only accessible on computer and doesn't come with me everywhere

Planner -
Has a calendar, so I can write down appointments
Does not have space to write down daily to-do lists
Kanban
No calendar, but excellent for daily to-do
However, because that's what I'm checking for daily to-do, I don't look at my calendar. I have missed or been surprised by a couple of appointments this way.

Planner -
separate from email, so all gigs and stuff committed to via email have to be consciously thought of and sat down and entered into planner
Kanban -
On computer where I also check email, so to-do items generated from email very easy to put on kanban

I feel like a smartphone, because I could use ical and have it in my purse, would probably be a great organizational tool but the social aspect of it would be BAD/addicting and outweigh the benefits.

I'm wondering if maybe an ipad would be useful, I could use iCal, it would fit in my purse, and maybe there's some organizational app that I could download as well?

What do you guys think? How do you all deal with this?

Unmanagable
08-03-15, 03:36 PM
I have to write it out to remember it, typically. The physical act of doing that embeds it into my brain.

If I type an electronic reminder, it doesn't stick with me, unless I print it out and have a hard copy, but too much of that gets scattered easily, and I don't do many gadgets, so I haven't tried much else along those lines.

I keep a desk calendar at the kitchen table, a pocket sized tablet or post-it note pad in my pocket or bag, and a notebook that I have many running thoughts and ideas on in my back pack. Pens and highlighters are peppered about in every space I'm in, too, and I really dig the pens you can wear around your neck, especially for shopping, brainstorming, etc.

And even on the best of days, I still manage to screw it all up with little to no effort. :)

Edited to add: And I have a dry erase board in several spots to write daily stuff on to keep it clearly visible, with lots of pretty colors.

willow129
08-04-15, 03:26 PM
Boyfriend and I definitely have a dry erase board on the to-buy list. I'd much rather he write things down for me to see than remind me to do things at random times when I can't do them or keep them in my brain. I've actually asked him to email me things he needs me to do ha...

I agree about the physically writing stuff down thing. I would much prefer to physically write things down, and actually, I think *everyone* remembers stuff better that way. And maybe I should go back to doing more of that, I just feel like I would need a HUGE planner to make that work lol

dvdnvwls
08-04-15, 07:38 PM
So many methods sound like good ideas. There are so many choices, so many theories of how to make it work well, so many people ready to convince you of exactly what they think will help (because they want to sell you their product), ... and so many "rabbit holes" to go down in the process, looking for the one solution that will finally solve this.

My ideas:

- Abandon the notion that one thing will solve this. Face it: just one thing, no matter how great it is, can never solve a mess as complex as ours. :)

- When something works, keep it. Even if it seems somehow not ideal, at least it works. (And if you ever stopped using something that worked, bring it back, now.)

- When something sort of works, try to find a way to keep only the working part and throw away all the rest.

- When something doesn't work, be quick to toss it. It doesn't matter which expert/doctor/coach/friend recommended it - if it doesn't work for you, it's history. No coach or friend or anyone else gets to live your life, so they can't always see why their favourite system isn't helping.

- If you have a system that works for you but is weird somehow, then if necessary, find a way to make it palatable/acceptable/somewhat-understandable for the people you live with. If they think your system doesn't work, they will never trust you and never stop hounding you. If they think it works for you, that will help to get them off your back. :)