View Full Version : Social and hyper with friends/people I'm comfortable with, but shy with those that I

bzybee14
08-06-15, 07:32 PM
First off, I haven't been officially diagnosed with ADHD, but am discussing the possibility with my therapist. Is it possible to be hyper and high energy when around friends and kind of a prankster but painfully shy in other situations? It seems as though both my sister and I fit this description. My friend asked me yesterday if I had too much caffeine (I hadn't had any that day yet.) I kinda suck at self evaluation and stuff, but I'm trying to think through these things. I know this is just one thing (well, I seem to fidget a bit, too... Bounce my leg without realizing it, etc.) Anyway, in many ways I feel like a contradiction... So, is it possible to be both hyper and shy in different situations? (I'm just gonna stick to this one thing for brevity's sake lol.)

vpilar
08-07-15, 01:57 AM
[…] So, is it possible to be both hyper and shy in different situations? (I'm just gonna stick to this one thing for brevity's sake lol.)

Yes, it is possible! I'm totally like that!

BellaVita
08-07-15, 06:57 AM
Yes of course!

I'm the most hyper person I know. I'm an adult but I never grew out of my hyperactivity.

I'm not sure I'm "shy" but I have trouble communicating with people I don't know very well, which is almost everyone. (Except for my fiancé and a couple close friends - I do lose the ability to speak when I'm around these people sometimes though.)

I actually go mute and can't even speak if I tried, it really sucks. The words just escape me and I don't know the social rules except for practiced learned ones that only fit specific situations, so I lose the ability to speak in situations that I can't script.

I never knew what it was growing up, but finally after long hours(days..months..) researching I figured out what it was.

Anyway, maybe you have this issue too?

But "shyness" isn't the same thing as losing the ability to speak associated with autism, because with shyness the person eventually comes around but with autism they don't stop being autistic.

I'm not sure if you have autism of course, honestly it *doesn't* sound that way to me since you described it as shyness, but just wanted to share my experience.

Fuzzy12
08-07-15, 08:21 AM
Yes, of course, it's possible and I guess, it's fairly normal too. I mean, apart from specific ADHD symptoms, I guess a lot of people get more social and chatty among people they are comfortable with and tend to feel more shy with strangers.

I'm strangely the exact opposite. I tend to get a lot more social and hyper when I'm put together with people I hardly know. I think, for me, it's mainly a stimulation thing. I tend to get very easily bored in social situations and I find meeting new people is just a lot more exciting and interesting. :rolleyes:

Anyway, being hyper and being shy aren't opposites. You can be both at the same time even in the same situation. In fact, some people might become more fidgety/restless, etc when they are thrown into new or uncomfortable positions.

daveddd
08-07-15, 12:26 PM
Yep. This is me

Youre describing adhd with hyperactivity in someone with social anxiety

Social anxiety is very common in adhd. In fact i believe the most common of the different anxious symptoms people with adhd tend to have

eclectic beagle
11-22-15, 07:10 PM
Hyperactivity can be a product of anxiety.

Funky1
11-22-15, 07:41 PM
Yep. This is me

Youre describing adhd with hyperactivity in someone with social anxiety

Social anxiety is very common in adhd. In fact i believe the most common of the different anxious symptoms people with adhd tend to have

That's me to a T. I've really been to push myself over the last few years though, and I've made at least a little bit of progress with my ability to meet people in a social setting, but the anxiety is always present. I almost always go out alone these days though, I'm sure that has helped me with pushing my comfort level with meeting new people.

Cjapple
11-27-15, 09:17 PM
First off, I haven't been officially diagnosed with ADHD, but am discussing the possibility with my therapist. Is it possible to be hyper and high energy when around friends and kind of a prankster but painfully shy in other situations? It seems as though both my sister and I fit this description. My friend asked me yesterday if I had too much caffeine (I hadn't had any that day yet.) I kinda suck at self evaluation and stuff, but I'm trying to think through these things. I know this is just one thing (well, I seem to fidget a bit, too... Bounce my leg without realizing it, etc.) Anyway, in many ways I feel like a contradiction... So, is it possible to be both hyper and shy in different situations? (I'm just gonna stick to this one thing for brevity's sake lol.)

I'd say this describes me very accurately. Most of my shyness comes from the fact that I do have issues with social anxiety, but some of it also comes from the fact that I am very introverted, and so being very social can be tiring to me. I honestly can't say whether your shyness could be from ADHD, or anxiety, or simply not being naturally social unless it's with people you know don't tire you out that much, but this is certainly something that I know people do.