View Full Version : Strattera 40mg...is that a good start?

phazonConduit
08-09-15, 01:28 AM
I finally started seeing a psychiatrist to get the diagnosis started with a good treatment and after some psychological evaluation, my psychiatrist decided to start me off on 40mg of Strattera.
This is my first time using this medication and I am hoping it works well, but one curious this is that he ordered me to only take it in the evening, which I found out to be quite odd. It's not a stimulant, so it wouldn't get me wired, but I looked into the side effects and they look kind of bad...

He wants to start me off on 40 mg and as we keep meeting, he'll either increase, decrease or keep my dose the same. What should I expect from this medication? And does it work? How do I know it's starting to work? Since it's a non-stimulant, I'm assuming it'll take longer than a week. What have you all experienced?

Meteodan
08-16-15, 02:04 PM
When I was on Strattera, I started out at 25 mg, and titrated up to 40 mg after 2 weeks, and 60 mg 2 weeks after that. I stopped taking it soon after that owing to side effects (although it was otherwise working very well). Also, I was instructed to take it in the morning.

The Strattera Medication Guide linked at the top of this forum indicates that for adults and children over 70 kg, the recommended starting dose is indeed 40 mg.

It may take a while for you to notice the effects. I started noticing improvements after about 3 days at 25 mg, and then they really kicked in when I went up to 40 mg. However, it can take up to 4-6 weeks for some people to notice anything.

Basically, if it is working, you should notice that you are able to focus on tasks, have reduced impulsivity, possibly be more alert (that was one of the big things I noticed), etc., in situations where before you struggled.