View Full Version : lithium orotate for ADD/Depression???

ak2146
08-12-15, 10:12 PM
Hi there,

Has anyone tried lithium orotate for either ADD and/or depression?

I would be most obliged to hear about your lived experiences of using lithium orotate.

I suffer from ADD, and I am currently on day 3 of 5mg lithium orotate daily (self-prescribed), and, so far, I have not noticed any positive changes at all.

For the last 5 years, I have tried Dex and Ritalin with limited success. I am still searching for a solution to my ADD and depression.

Thanks.

Regards,

Ak2146.

sarahsweets
08-13-15, 03:50 AM
Can you post a link describing what that is? I'm away now and only have my phone.

dvdnvwls
08-13-15, 04:15 AM
Sarah - this is lithium, as in, the old-time (and still sometimes used) treatment for bipolar.

sarahsweets
08-13-15, 04:50 AM
I've never tried it but I do know that the old school ones like lithium can be hard on your liver.

BellaVita
08-13-15, 04:51 AM
Sarah - this is lithium, as in, the old-time (and still sometimes used) treatment for bipolar.

No actually - this isn't the lithium for bipolar - this is the supplement you can buy at certain stores. :)

Lithium orotate is different. (Lithium carbonate must be prescribed by a doctor - which is what you were talking about.)

dvdnvwls
08-13-15, 03:18 PM
No actually - this isn't the lithium for bipolar - this is the supplement you can buy at certain stores. :)

Lithium orotate is different. (Lithium carbonate must be prescribed by a doctor - which is what you were talking about.)

Oh my - I'm sorry to have made such a stupid mistake!

BellaVita
08-13-15, 10:52 PM
Oh my - I'm sorry to have made such a stupid mistake!

Lol no need to be sorry - it happens. :)

Greyhound1
08-13-15, 11:46 PM
Below is a quote about what it is and the link is a study on it's dangers.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/23376874/

By Cathy Wong, ND , Alternative Medicine Expert
Updated January 06, 2015.

Written or reviewed by a board-certified physician. See About.com's Medical Review Board.

Lithium orotate is a substance that consists of lithium (an alkali metal) and orotic acid (a compound produced naturally in the body). Available in dietary supplement form, lithium orotate is touted as a natural treatment for a wide range of mental-health problems.

In alternative medicine, lithium orotate is sometimes promoted as an alternative to lithium, a medication prescribed to treat and prevent episodes of mania in people with bipolar disorder.

sarahsweets
08-14-15, 05:00 AM
Hi there,

Has anyone tried lithium orotate for either ADD and/or depression?

I would be most obliged to hear about your lived experiences of using lithium orotate.

I suffer from ADD, and I am currently on day 3 of 5mg lithium orotate daily (self-prescribed), and, so far, I have not noticed any positive changes at all.

For the last 5 years, I have tried Dex and Ritalin with limited success. I am still searching for a solution to my ADD and depression.

Thanks.

Regards,

Ak2146.

oops, how did i miss that part. Red flag with the words "self prescribed" even if its a supplement.

BellaVita
08-14-15, 05:14 AM
oops, how did i miss that part. Red flag with the words "self prescribed" even if its a supplement.

Perhaps that's just the OPs way of talking?

As long as he isn't self-prescribing stuff that only doctors can prescribe, and lets his doctor know he's taking these supplements I think it's okay.

ak2146
09-18-15, 02:44 AM
I live in Australia. By using the expression "self-prescribed" in my original post, I meant that it was not prescribed by a doctor and that I got it from a chemist with no prescription needed. That is the meaning of the expression "self-prescribed" within the Australian context. Is that the only meaningful contribution you could make to my original post?

peripatetic
09-18-15, 03:10 AM
i don't have any experience with that supplement, no.

i poked around and it does seem to be potentially quite useful without having the toxicity problems that lithium carbonate has, thus wouldn't require the blood draws.

you said that you're on day three, and i saw something that said it could start helping in as little as two or three days, but that just sounds unlikely to me. so many medications, not to mention supplements, require weeks or even months to see improvement.

i'm also curious about your dosage. you said five mg of lithium orotate, but do you mean 100 mg of lithium orotate, which translates to three to five mg elemental lithium? if not, i would say that your dosage is much lower than what i saw being used in studies and thought to be effective.

i will note that i didn't see anything about adhd treatment from it...only depression and aiding substance abuse treatment, so i'm curious where you got the idea to try it for adhd.

cheers,
-peri

ak2146
09-23-15, 03:39 AM
Thanks for your input, Peri.

Yes, I take one (1) 5mg Lithium Orotate (Biovea Brand) daily and, according to the information on the bottle, this contains 5mg of Lithium from Lithium Orotate. I still have not noticed any difference. Thanks again.

Regards,

Ak2146.

NateDEEzy
10-04-15, 10:54 AM
I'm not sure if the lithium portion is similar, but the brand I'm looking at on amazon that has over 4 stars with over 140 reviews is called Nutrient Carriers and the bottle says Advanced Research, and it shows 120mg. So I don't know if the actual lithium portion is similar to 5mg within the blend, or if this one uses a much larger dose. Either way, I'm thinking about trying it and this is the brand I will try.

NateDEEzy
10-05-15, 08:06 PM
So I just wanted to say I got the lithium orotate today and I don't know if it's placebo but I feel pretty good right now. I have improved thought clarity and MOST IMPORTANTLY, motivation and interest in life. All day I was in a fog, like usual, being that I'm quite depressed, and I came home to see a package in the mail- sure enough it was the lithium, and so I tried it out and it's been about an hour or so now since I took it, and I feel pretty damn amazing. I know placebo can be deceiving so I'll come back to fill in to let you know if the results maintain. I sure hope so bc it's given me an actual reason to want to live! I've been in such a haze lately and just experience such incredible anxiety that I literally am just surviving life. It's nothing enjoyable and so feeling good and knowing that the price is doable for me and not needing a prescription is HUGE!

Polymorphed
10-28-15, 10:05 PM
Lithium plays a vital role in the balancing methylation pathways. Prescription Lithium dosages can be particularly dangerous if pathology is not monitored or if the process is not managed professionally.

Lithium orotate is more of a (mood) supplement and at typical dose strength is not particularly dangerous, but chronic use can lead to multiple problems.

Keep a close eye on hydration levels, as Lithium/Plasma concentrations will increase as you become less hydrated.