View Full Version : Neurocognitive Psychotherapy- maybe the best approach?

Way Too Flighty
04-24-05, 02:15 AM
Hi,

In looking around for what kinds of therapeutic approaches might work for me, I have stumbled upon something called "neurocognitive psychotherapy". What I like about it is that it addresses both the neurobiological basis of the disorder and the psychological issues the person has developed because of it. I can't find much about it besides this one webpage: http://www.addvance.com/help/professionals/neurocognitive.html

Has anyone tried this approach? What do you think of it?

Here is an excerpt from the website that I posted the link for:
For psychotherapy to be effective in treating adults with ADD (ADHD), the therapist must take an approach that keeps in mind the neurological aspects of ADD (ADHD) as well as the psychological issues that develop from a lifetime of being impacted by ADD (ADHD). In addition, the therapist must address the comorbid conditions that typically accompany ADD (ADHD) in adults. Neurocognitive psychotherapy is a therapeutic model designed to help the clinician coordinate the treatment of these complex, interlocking needs. This model borrows some aspects of cognitive-behavioral psychotherapy such as "reframing," identifying and changing thought patterns that impede positive change and establishing concrete plans of action to reach realistic goals. Neurocognitive psychotherapy also borrows cognitive rehabilitation approaches such as 1) treatment focused on improving cognitive functioning, 2) the development of strategies to compensate for cognitive challenges, and 3) environmental modifications (of both the physical and social environment) to enhance daily functioning. (written by Kathleen Nadeau)

exeter
04-24-05, 02:37 AM
Sounds like a fine idea to me. I think this was essentially what my old therapist and I were doing, even though we didn't really call it that. I think that some form of meds/lifestyle/diet changes are definitely essential to treatment of adults with ADD, and this type of philosophy really takes that into account.

scuro
04-24-05, 09:46 AM
Looks like a great website and well rounded approach to adhd.

Loved this tidbit,

" Psychological interpretations to a neurobiological disorder

Too often, the adult with ADD (ADHD) receives therapy from clinicians who are trained to psychologically "interpret" all behavior. Therapists with psychodynamic training may view an individual's chronic lateness as "resistance" to therapy rather than considering the possibility that this pattern is related to an ADD (ADHD) time-management problem that needs to be directly addressed on more practical terms. The therapist may over-focus on early childhood experiences that contribute to a client's anger, without considering that low frustration tolerance and anger outbursts are common ADD (ADHD) patterns that often improve with stimulant medication. The psychotherapist may interpret low motivation and disorganization as signs of depression, never considering that they might result from executive function problems associated with ADD (ADHD). While such psychological interpretations may be valid, the clinician who ignores the neurobiological underpinnings of behavior will not be successful in treating the client and may even contribute to the client's low self-esteem and demoralization by "blaming" the client for neurologically driven behavior patterns".

Fly Away
04-27-05, 11:51 AM
I believe in essence this is what my therapist is doing too. I think its just part of looking at the whole person and seeing how all these different factors make us into what we are now. You can't look at only one apect and get the whole picture and treat it successfully.

I went into therapy originally for PTSD due to severe childhood abuse. This was by far my most dibilating problem. The PTSD led to depression. The depression could of been life threatening. All of that had to be dealt with first. My t worked thru those issues and as we peeled away the layers the ADD became apparent. The ADD was kind of masked by the abuse issues which shares some of the same symptoms of PTSD and depression. I know he could not of gotten me this far by only focusing on one aspect of the whole me. All of these life experiences and faulty (at times) coping mechanisms have interacted to make me into the person who sought his help to begin with. By addressing all these with the specific biolological basis of ADD in mind is enabling me to make real, lasting changes to my life.

Way Too Flighty
04-27-05, 02:02 PM
YEah, I think that an approach that fits this description is pretty common, although it doesn't always go by that name. I am looking for someone now that does something like this. Wish me luck! ;)

Scattered
09-26-05, 06:31 AM
It sounds like what my therapist does. He does a lot of reframing of issues, helps me challenge faulty negative beliefs about myself, teaches me relaxation and other concrete things to deal with stress, and helps me focus on what I need to do in my environment/relationships to take care of myself. He always keeps the neurobiology of things in mind and points out when ADHD symptoms are at play. I find it very useful.

Scattered

mctavish23
10-13-05, 08:10 PM
Thanks for the link.

I really enjoyed looking that over.

It's a little different for hyperactive kids, in that any type of individual psychotherapy won't work.

The problem lies in the need to intervene at the "point of performance" or where the behavior occurred.

In other words, whatever gains that might be made in the office won't generalize out the door.

This has actually been around for some time now and is considered mainstream evidenced based practice for kids.

The "point of performance" data came from Goldstein & Ingersoll (1993).

This is why you have to do Family therapy with hyperactive kids, so that you can teach the parents how to establish, implement and maintain a rewards based behavior management /home token economy program.

Along with that tho, I've incorporated things like using timers or setting timers on watches, etc.

Thank you again.:)