View Full Version : A warning to anyone using mirtazapine with adhd media

antihero
08-15-15, 04:49 AM
recently I started back on dexamphetamine and usually when I'm on it I need something to help me sleep. In the past I either use a really low dose of seroquel about 25 to 50mg or prescription melatonin. This time I decided to use mirtazapine and to my surprise I didn't feel the Dex working after one week I am at a dose of 6 5 mg tabs a day which is not low for me and I almost felt no affect. I've been reading up on mirtazapine and it is sometimes used to help people come off meth. I need some advice as well as I don't want to take seroquel any more and we don't have trazadone in Australia. Are there any other Meds that will help me sleep? I asked my new dr for a low dose Thorazine which I have taken before for sleep with good results but he says it causes brain damage and won't prescribe it.

sarahsweets
08-15-15, 06:20 AM
What is your sleep hygiene like?

antihero
08-15-15, 01:26 PM
What do you mean by hygiene?

sarahsweets
08-15-15, 02:14 PM
Sleep hygiene is like the routine and pattern you have for going to bed. In order to have good reliable restful sleep, habits that you stick to fairly religiously must be developed. Foor example: I used to have horrible insomina,delayed sleep phase issues. Years I suffered during the witching our of 3am. I then had a sleep study which, in laymans terms explained some things. I dont have the exact phrasing right but basically when the brain is active you can measure alpha waves. When you are in the deepest stages of sleep (3+4) your brain has delta waves. Well when I was in those deep stages of sleep, my brain had the delta waves but also the alpha waves. Basically, even though I was in deep sleep, my brain wasnt really resting the way it should. This affects my circadium rhythm among other things. I tried sleeping pills and they only worked for awhile and with my alcoholism its just not something that works for me. The doctor told me all about sleep hygiene and I also read about it. It took 9-10 months of consistent practice to get where I am.

For me that means, I go to bed and wake up within the same two hour windows every single day no matter what. For me that is between 4-6 am and 10-12 pm. I do not deviate from this with rare exceptions. I had to do this whether or not I wanted to. I needed to go up to bed and get in it. No electronics only reading. Dark room, not to warm. Sleep clothes. A routine is crucial. You wont like it one bit but I promise you if you can make it through the tunnel there is light at the end of it. I encourage you to have a sleep study. It can give you much needed answers.

aeon
08-15-15, 10:20 PM
What sarah said above about sleep hygiene is spot-on.

Avoiding the use of anything with a screen 1-2 hours before bed is important as certain wavelengths of light influence your production of melatonin, among other things, and that can disrupt your sleep cycle.

I take dextroamphetamine and when mirtazapine was added to my Rx, I noticed no effect on the dex, save some counteraction of its anorectic effects. I wouldn’t expect it would, given their respective chemistries, but everyone responds differently and chemistry doesn’t explain everything.

Sorry to hear it didn’t work out for you.

cheers,
Ian

antihero
08-16-15, 03:33 PM
Thanks for the replies. My sleep hygiene is horrible. I sleep with my TV on running YouTube. I have a lot of things I need to fix I know. It might not be the mirtazapine blocking the Dex from working properly I might have developed tolerance so I'm going to talk a week or two off and see if that helps.

dvdnvwls
08-16-15, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the replies. My sleep hygiene is horrible. I sleep with my TV on running YouTube. I have a lot of things I need to fix I know. It might not be the mirtazapine blocking the Dex from working properly I might have developed tolerance so I'm going to talk a week or two off and see if that helps.

If your sleep hygiene is horrible, then your problem isn't tolerance. Fix your sleep first, and see if THAT helps. :)

antihero
08-18-15, 12:40 PM
If your sleep hygiene is horrible, then your problem isn't tolerance. Fix your sleep first, and see if THAT helps. :)

The tolerance has nothing to do with my sleep. I can't sleep on Dex no matter what, unless I take a pill.

StuBDoo
01-04-16, 09:12 PM
I took Mirtazapine for years with 40mg Adderall XR and more recently with 70mg Vyvanse/10mg Adderall IR and never noticed any interference. Mirtazapine was the first sleep medication that truly made me sleep like a normal person. I've had insomnia all of my life. I finally built up a tolerance and stopped for a few years. I tried it again and it worked great......until recently. I've since been prescribed Trazadone. Started out with 50mg and am now up to 150mg. It works fairly well, but I miss the Mirtazapine. Your doctor should be able to recommend many other options, even if Trazadone can't be one of them. Trust me, I've tried many sleep medications. Sometimes it takes a while to figure out which one works best for you. I agree with others, turn off the TV long before you're ready to sleep. I read in bed every night and it helps immensely. Of course, everyone is different. Best of luck to you.

BellaVita
01-04-16, 09:41 PM

I know this is an old post, but for some people "fix your sleep first" doesn't work - like for those who have Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome.

It isn't treatable, not fixable, and you basically just have to learn to go with what your natural body clock wants, even if it is the opposite of the "normal" body clock.

One year I woke up at the same time every day, no matter how tired, but that didn't matter. I ended up on average 4 hours a sleep per night for a year. I've done so many things for years to treat what I thought was a messed-up sleep condition, went on 7 different sleep medications over the years, nothing worked. Know why? I had the delayed sleep phase syndrome.

It wrecked my health and even my psychologist was concerned about me and my severe lack of sleep as he called it.

Now, I don't take a sleeping pill and just go with what my body clock wants.

You already know all of this but maybe others don't. :)

dvdnvwls
01-04-16, 11:22 PM
I know this is an old post, but for some people "fix your sleep first" doesn't work - like for those who have Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome.

It isn't treatable, not fixable, and you basically just have to learn to go with what your natural body clock wants, even if it is the opposite of the "normal" body clock.

One year I woke up at the same time every day, no matter how tired, but that didn't matter. I ended up on average 4 hours a sleep per night for a year. I've done so many things for years to treat what I thought was a messed-up sleep condition, went on 7 different sleep medications over the years, nothing worked. Know why? I had the delayed sleep phase syndrome.

It wrecked my health and even my psychologist was concerned about me and my severe lack of sleep as he called it.

Now, I don't take a sleeping pill and just go with what my body clock wants.

You already know all of this but maybe others don't. :)
You're right, but it's better and smarter to assume simple common problems first and see what happens. Specialized knowledge of uncommon conditions should be brought in only when the simple usual solutions have already been tried.