View Full Version : Studying in the evening (medication coverage)

SmashPotato
08-15-15, 05:58 AM
This is something that hasn't been an issue for me yet as I have managed to fit all my studying in so far, but I can see it as a potential problem in future as I am just getting back into education now things are bound to get tougher and tougher.

I take dexamphetamine 5 mg IR x3 per day in 3 hour increments. I don't take it as soon as I wake up as I don't need it to shower, make breakfast or travel. I usually take my doses at the following times - 9am > 12 pm > 3 pm. I get about 9 hours coverage with my last dose wearing off around 6 pm. If I was at class all day and got home around 5 pm, that does not leave much time for evening studying.

Although I've lost most of the benefits after 6 pm, I know it's still in my system. I sleep 9 hours per night if I don't set an alarm. I believe that waking up naturally is best for optimal performance through out the day. I get to sleep around 10 pm and wake at 7 am. I feel as though if I were to take another dose after 6 pm, it would keep me awake for a long time after 10 pm. I once drank a cup of green tea at 5 pm and I lay awake in bed until 2 in the morning, so I think amphetamines would provide a similar outcome, if not worse.

The way I see it, I have 2 options:

I could just accept the fact that I am not going to have evening coverage and, instead, make the most of my time during the day to study - at the library during lunch break, immediately after my classes are done at 4 pm, skip some classes here and there in order to study at home and make good use of weekends and periods during the day when I don't have classes.

Another option would be to take another dose to cover the evening and probably have to sacrifice some sleep. However, I have a problem with this because I believe sleep is extremely important, and losing even just an hour per day would create a "sleep debt" which will have to be repayed or else I would suffer the consequences and lose some of my cognitive function as the sleep debt continues to build up. Having said that, maybe I would adjust and be able to sleep at my normal time after a while of taking this extra dose.

I want to look into ways to improve sleep, such as using certain nootropics. I already take melatonin and find it has allowed me to get to sleep an hour or 2 before I normally could as I used to not be able to take my meds 3 times a day without getting sleep issues. I also wear amber glasses at night to keep out blue light from interfering with my sleep, which also helps a lot. Also, I tried taking ascorbic acid (vitamin C) to flush the meds out of my system at night and it might have worked, but I don't feel the need for it now as I can get to sleep without it but maybe I could try that if I were to take an extra dose at night.

How do you study at night? Do you have problems sleeping if you take your meds in the evening? How do you overcome this?

sarahsweets
08-15-15, 06:16 AM
I take my last dose at around 4 and dont have any issues but alot of people would have issues. What about the weekends? Would you be able to get alot done then?

SmashPotato
08-15-15, 06:33 AM
I take my last dose at around 4 and dont have any issues but alot of people would have issues. What about the weekends? Would you be able to get alot done then?

Yeah I would, but I wonder how sustainable this is for the future when I go to University, maybe I would need to study in the evenings as well in order to keep up.

At 4 you take dexedrine spansule XR? I think that might keep me awake all night if it's anything like the duration of Concerta or Vyvanse. When you say a lot of people would have issues with that but you don't, do you mean that you are naturally tolerant to stimulants or you have developed a tolerance with continued use?

Also, when I hear about people taking stimulants and being able to sleep even while the medication is in full effect, I wonder if they are actually in a state of chronic sleep deprivation but don't actually notice it.

sarahsweets
08-15-15, 06:59 AM
No I dont have a tolerance. My doses are 3 10mg spansules and three 5mg ir's a day. each taken together. The ir jumps starts the spansule for me. Amphetamines have never interfered with my sleep, if anything it helps. The three times a day thing varies because I am up at the as* crack of dawn and I take them every 4-5 hours so it could be as early as 4-10-2 or 6-11 ans 4 and sometimes as late as 6. I guess i am lucky.

dvdnvwls
08-15-15, 07:26 PM
Also, when I hear about people taking stimulants and being able to sleep even while the medication is in full effect, I wonder if they are actually in a state of chronic sleep deprivation but don't actually notice it.

Agreed. There's a problem for some people though, that their ADHD symptoms are actually the primary cause of their inability to sleep. For that group of people, having some (but not too much) medication in them at bed time really does help.

Pilgrim
08-15-15, 08:46 PM
Take option 1. Good luck

Powderbucket
08-17-15, 08:04 AM
I'm in a very similar position to you. I work all day and also only have the evenings to study in. By then, my Concerta has left the building and has long waved me goodbye.

I don't like taking late doses because sleep is vitally important to me. I can't afford to be tired the next day because then I really won't want to study when I get home! My Concerta wears off at 4pm on the dot. I then take 1.5 grams of Evening Primrose Oil which keeps the down-fall and my mood very, very stable. This helps me to focus quite a bit. Also, I think it's pretty normal for me to have to put some effort into focusing... Try keeping your energy levels up with stimulants and stuff and it might help you out without you having to sacrifice your sleep.