View Full Version : Extremely frustrated with Dexedrine and other meds

Stryker395
08-17-15, 01:57 PM
Hey everyone. I have tried Adderall IR and ER, Ritalin, Focalin, Dexedrine IR and ER. Basically the I was having a lot of success being on Dex IR. I'm taking 20mg three times a day. I started having issues with the effectiveness of the pills after about 6 months or so. I've read a bunch of stuff about citric acid and different things that could make the dose less effective, but I still have not been able to find a method that makes it effective every time.

Some days I take the 20mg (2 10mg tabs) and I feel like a completely different person. I get things done. Basically I've told others that when my medicine works, I know it works because I can feel my mind start to clear up. I used to experience this every time I took the medicine when I first started and for the first several months. We've tried changing the medication, but it seems that no matter which medicine I take that even if it works in the beginning, it doesn't take long before I can't even tell I'm taking something.

I take the generic Dex (not sure of brand but they are orangish tabs) which my doctor said could very in potency sometimes from pill to pill. He said that a lot of generics are that way unfortunately. I've tried taking a 10mg instead of 20 because I'd heard that sometimes the dose can be too high, but still the same thing. My appointment is tomorrow and I'm thinking of trying focalin again, mainly because it's been a long time since I tried it. However, I'm concerned because when the dexedrine works, which is maybe 1/4 of the time, it has been the best for me. I haven't had too many side effects, although I did recently start thinking that I was hearing faint voices which he said is an occasional reported side effect from stimulants.

I just want to go back to when the medicine was really working, because I felt like I a different person. I really don't think that it was the initial euphoria that you get when you start taking it versus when you level out after time, because I've experienced the euphoria along with the crash and I didn't like it. This is a calming, focused, and take care of business feeling. My apologies for the long post, but I'm interested to gather some input from others. Thanks

dvdnvwls
08-17-15, 04:03 PM
I agree that the generic versions might be slightly less consistent, but not like this. Or at least I hope not.

Look at other things in your life that affect the medication's effectiveness:

Sleep - timing, amount, and quality

Food - timing, amount, and quality

Exercise - timing and amount (quality of exercise honestly not a big deal in this context)

Caffeine - can interfere by overloading you with stimulation - cut out caffeine completely

sarahsweets
08-18-15, 04:50 AM
I think its really a dose issue with you and lack of consistency. For me, I had to learn to take my meds at the same time everyday. My adhd doesnt take breaks so i dont take med breaks. I had to develop a strict med taking regime. In some VERY RARE cases, generics can vary but not pill by pill. If that were the case then the brands could also have issues sometimes. Try not to get too focused on that part of it because its not as common as you think. In the over 10 years I have been on medication, only one time did it turn out to be an issue with the manufacturer. I never took that brand again.

aeon
08-18-15, 04:51 PM
My meds improve the chance I will have better function in a day.

That said, I am as variable as ever, and meds are no guarantee of anything. I have days that are better than others, and I have days where it feels like I slipped a lobe.

Nutrition, activity, rest, positive social engagement, and the timing of those things, have everything to do with that.

Choosing the right med takes time. I take generic Dexedrine, and it works well, but it is where I ended up after methylphenidate (didn’t last long enough), methylphenidate as Concerta (anxiolytic), and Focalin (felt angry, hurried, and aggressive when in public).

cheers,
Ian

dag nab it
08-19-15, 09:57 AM
I don't think there is much of a difference in potency between each tablet - although if your script was filled from different batches of medication, that possibility increases.

Your problems are likely due to one of several "Factors X" - that unfortunately come in myriad shapes and combine to react with each other in endless ways. Or, your body rapidly adjusts to medication and develops tolerance.

Simple approach: Because Dex IR is very sensitive to food and digestive goings on, examine your MORNINGS, especially your food and vitamin/mineral intake. Write down what you eat and take - and the time. The amount is also significant. When you find a pattern that works "almost" consistently, stick to it. Then start looking for other factors, as what DVD... mentioned above (sleep, food, exercise, caffeine) plus vitamins/supplements and lighting.

Note: I get my best results on Dex when I eat light breakfasts (protein bar; boiled egg with mayo and cucumber or celery; cafe au lait (coffee with a lot of milk), with a teaspoon of protein powder and maybe a teaspoon of coconut oil added [please don't say "yuck!" :lol:] Don't eat 45 min. before taking the meds or 30 min. afterwards. I've found though that the cafe au lait combination can be taken in close proximity to the meds. Finally, be sure to drink a full glass of water with your dose so that it can travel through your digestive system. If you find that 1-1/2 hours after taking your meds it is just is not working - and you realize it's likely because of a meal - you might try taking a mini-dose booster (as long as that's ok with your doc).

Waitingame
08-22-15, 02:37 PM
Agree with dag nab it ^^^.

It seems like there can be a big difference between taking with food and taking on an empty stomach, and then to complicate it more, the amount of time between the first dose and breakfast.

Likewise, if I have too many carbs for breakfast, I turn into one of those fly-away Angry Birds. Every morning I have been eating the Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwiches with sausange and whole egg (not whites - that didn't work), without necessarily eating the whole croissant it comes on. I'm sick of them, but they seem to produce similar results in the meds and I can pretty much count on the amount of brain power I will have.

The older I get, the more it seems sleep is 100% related to med efficacy. Anything less than 6 hours, and all bets are off.

All of this adds up into something of a boring routine (especially for an ADHDer!), but the resulting productivity and in-control feelings are worth it. :-)

deadfox144
03-30-17, 07:27 PM
Vitamin C inhibits absorption of Dexedrine, it also encourages Dexedrine to be expelled more enthusiastically. I cannot emphasize how much vitamin C wastes Dexedrine. If you're taking Dexedrine throughout the day, then I would say eat a vitamin C-rich dinner, and avoid supplements and rich foods throughout the day. I'm not saying don't eat foods that contain it throughout the day, I'm just saying you should be mindful of how much you're consuming.

Magnesium however, taken in conjunction with Dexedrine : Alkalanizes the stomach, decreasing acid-destruction, and also reduces Dexedrine tolerance, and also seems to have a direct effect on making it work much more effectively.

Try not to eat a heavy protein meal with Dexedrine, as you'll create a barrage of stomach acid, which can destroy a lot of the drug.

Good luck!

luckBeIllusory
04-12-17, 05:49 AM
I had the very same issue plus some really uncomfortable side effects. I'd love to share what turned it around for me and actually made it work better then when I initially started taking it. (For me) about 3 days after I began it's "helpful" effects became non-existent and I started getting really bad side effects like drinking 3x more water then normal (180 oz) but still being really thirsty and horrible dry mouth. Which then caused me to pee every 5 minutes. I was miserable. I also started getting a racing heartbeat and my blood pressure shot up. A couple other side effects were pain in my arms and hands, and brain fog.

I did a ton of research and tried figuring out why my body reacted this way to a medicine that initially was fine. The answer I found was vitamin and mineral deficiency and diet. I don't want to go into this too much but I'll explain what helped which side effects.

1. Side effect -brain fog and the med just not working very well
What helped me - L-Tyrosine in the am before I took my medicine and in the evening with a glass of orange juice to flush the rest of the medicine out of my body at night (I always "flush" the medicine out at night now because I think it gives my body more time to start producing more norepinephrine and dopamine sooner and by the morning my brain was more ready and this is just my opinion mostly) Also, I took "holidays" on the weekend and when I wasn't taking it I would take the L-Tyrosine 3x a day. (Anything acidic will keep your body from absorbing it well)

2. All of the other side effects and the above side effect were because of mainly a potassium and magnesium deficiency, and a really bad vitamin deficiency.
What helped me- ( and this made a difference very quickly) I started drinking the Carnation Instant Breakfast with a banana every morning, and would take my med with about 16oz of water. I also drank these for lunch and snack (it's only 8oz and I also eat lunch which is usually dosed with cayenne pepper, a vasodilator and will lower your blood pressure in minutes). For the unending thirst and really bad dry mouth, if I drank a banana chocolate CIB shake, the thirst and dry mouth would go away immediately and I would start going to the bathroom normally again.

Anywho, this is my first time posting on here and I'm really not sure how to word my posts. I hope I didn't come across as "know-it-all" or annoying. I promise my response is coming from sincerity and I'll probably get better at joining threads as I get more comfortable with it.

Thanks for the thread!

sarahsweets
04-20-17, 01:15 AM
Anywho, this is my first time posting on here and I'm really not sure how to word my posts. I hope I didn't come across as "know-it-all" or annoying. I promise my response is coming from sincerity and I'll probably get better at joining threads as I get more comfortable with it.

Thanks for the thread!

You didnt sound like a know it all. What you said makes sense. I take chelated magnesium at night.