View Full Version : Comparing Meds When You're Just Starting?

Shelsi
08-18-15, 09:06 AM
I was diagnosed a bit over a year ago - I'm pretty textbook inattentive type. I'm not impulsive anymore than the average person and I tend to only get hyper at night (my poor husband says I'm quiet all evening and then as soon as we're trying to go to bed/sleep I talk a mile a minute which is totally true & then I lay there wishing I could just shut up so I can sleep but sometimes I talk even if the hubs is asleep).

Only in the last few months have I started meds and it's been through my regular doc which I'm wondering if that's mistake #1?

He put me on strattera & after researching I feel he started way too low & is upping the doses way too slowly. Started 18 mg back in February, then went up to 25 mg a few months later, and finally convinced him to up it again last month so I've been on 40 mg about 1.5 weeks.

It kind of works? I don't know. I'm less absent-minded, a little more likely to remember to do things. But I still do things like make 2 piles of stuff & then accidently throw away the "keep" stuff and keep the throw away stuff :mad:

So part of me wants to see if a stimulant would work better. I want to compare it to the strattera. Is that weird? I guess I want to med shop? My son is on Concerta and his improvement is so obvious I guess I want to have a similar experience but he's impulsive/hyper not inattentive so I don't know...

Thoughts? Guidance? I'm so new at this. I was diagnosed but then we moved so I don't have a psychiatrist here.

Powderbucket
08-18-15, 09:43 AM
Hi Shelsi and welcome to the forums.

My psychiatrist has a bit of an opinion when it comes to "regular" doctors prescribing psychiatric medication. I sat with my psychiatrist for about 2 hours before she prescribed anything to me - a GP will sit with you for about 15 minutes. Therefore, I think the first thing I would recommend is seeing a proper psychiatrist because they are skilled and trained to know how YOUR brain works. I really don't think that a GP is the best way to go with such a life-changing diagnosis.

Then, going onto the med talk, my psychiatrist sees Strattera as a "last resort" because she has witnessed the least amount of success on it. Her first point-of-call is methyphenidate, so Concerta or Ritalin. For me, Ritalin is worlds different to Concerta so Concerta is my drug of choice. It comes with very different side-effects to Strattera, which you need to keep in mind. It also has taken me 3 months to get used to Concerta, even though it's a stimulant medication.

To summarize then, I'd do some research and choose a good psychiatrist for yourself. Spoil yourself with someone who will "get you" and who will spend hours with you in order to determine what's best. This worked for me.

P.S. I've seen a GP before regarding my ADHD and they told me that blood pressure medication would sort me out. They didn't "believe in" stimulants. Thank goodness I never went that route!

Shelsi
08-18-15, 04:13 PM
To summarize then, I'd do some research and choose a good psychiatrist for yourself. Spoil yourself with someone who will "get you" and who will spend hours with you in order to determine what's best. This worked for me.

P.S. I've seen a GP before regarding my ADHD and they told me that blood pressure medication would sort me out. They didn't "believe in" stimulants. Thank goodness I never went that route!

After researching today I figured out that my choices are a subpar psychiatrist or sticking with my GP who actually is a really great GP, he just prob doesn't know enough about beginning adults on ADHD meds - however he does generally do/prescribe whatever I ask of him.

So now I'm thinking maybe ask the GP to switch to stimulants? And see how that goes?

aeon
08-18-15, 04:39 PM
So part of me wants to see if a stimulant would work better. I want to compare it to the strattera. Is that weird?

I find nothing odd about that whatsoever.

Itís what I would wish to do, given your situation. I might guess the same of many others.

Doing something other than seeking a best solution for a problem would seem weird to me.

cheers,
Ian

Powderbucket
08-23-15, 10:20 AM
After researching today I figured out that my choices are a subpar psychiatrist or sticking with my GP who actually is a really great GP, he just prob doesn't know enough about beginning adults on ADHD meds - however he does generally do/prescribe whatever I ask of him.

So now I'm thinking maybe ask the GP to switch to stimulants? And see how that goes?

Yeah, as aeon said, you need to find what will be best for you. So if you want to change your medication to something else, then do that, and you'll take the next few steps from there :)

Shelsi
08-23-15, 10:25 PM
I ended up deciding to try the psych. Appt is not for another 4 weeks though. I went off the strattera ~4-5 days ago. I thought maybe after I was off it I'd be like, "whoa, it was helping more than I thought!" but nope!

Instead I've realized how down & unlike myself I've been. It didn't make me depressed - I'm generally a very upbeat person but it made me the low end of upbeat if that makes sense. What's kind of freaky is that I didn't even realize it (nor did my family...so maybe it was just internal?).

aeon
08-23-15, 11:22 PM
Given the neuropharmacological effects of atomoxetine upon the limbic system as it concerns neuropsychiatric affect, it makes sense you would feel a change as you did.

Psychostimulants do not promote control over emotional modulation via the limbic system, such that some prescribers combine a lower dose of each for broader control of overall ADHD symptomology. (this per Barkley, from youtube)

cheers,
Ian

Powderbucket
08-31-15, 02:40 AM
I ended up deciding to try the psych. Appt is not for another 4 weeks though. I went off the strattera ~4-5 days ago. I thought maybe after I was off it I'd be like, "whoa, it was helping more than I thought!" but nope!

Instead I've realized how down & unlike myself I've been. It didn't make me depressed - I'm generally a very upbeat person but it made me the low end of upbeat if that makes sense. What's kind of freaky is that I didn't even realize it (nor did my family...so maybe it was just internal?).

Glad to hear about the psych appointment! Best of luck :)

juwatkinvt03
11-12-15, 12:30 PM
New ADHD MED OUT - Evekeo (amphetamine sulfate tablets, USP)

Curious to see if anyone has given this a try and what their thoughts were!

Cheers,