View Full Version : How long is long enough for tolerance?

antihero
08-20-15, 05:00 AM
I am currently taking some time off my Dex because I developed tolerance and wasn't feeling its effects for a while. I'm using magnesium chelate and vitamins while I'm off. I plan a one to two week break. How does that sound?

sarahsweets
08-20-15, 12:30 PM
The idea of tolerance is a much debated topic around here. The key in what you mentioned is that it doesnt feel the same. "feeling" your meds or not feeling them is not the same as them working or not working as well. The meds are felt the first few days because thats the way it is, but they are meant to hum along in the backround while they work. It would be great if we felt euphoria all the time Im sure but thats not the way it works. Tolerance breaks are not anything I believe in. All they may do is allow you to feel the meds again and then you will go right back to where you were. There are no real studies on if they work, and how long a break would be needed to somehow "reset" your body. I understand that there are always exceptions to every case but this is just my opinion. Trying to feel your meds means you will be chasing the dragon and end up in dangerous territory.

antihero
08-20-15, 03:14 PM
I know what you're saying about the euphoria but I'm not taking them to get high. I've taken them before and never developed a tolerance. That is why this is so weird and I thought it was the mirtazapine causing this. I haven't got to the bottom of it yet. Hopefully after a couple of weeks I'll reset my receptors a little. If it turns out it is the mirtazapine I'll switch back to seroquel for sleep. I've read up on google that I'm not the only one with this side effect from mirtazapine.

aeon
08-21-15, 03:47 AM
Consider Trazodone for sleep.

I don’t take med breaks. ADHD is 24/7, so meds are taken daily. I’ve never felt the need for more, or that they were losing effectiveness, and I have been on my dosage for ages.

The only way I “feel” my meds are when I see positive changes in the way I am challenged with my disorder.

Well, and then there’s some of the usual side-effects BS, but I’m not desiring those, they just come with the territory when combined with my body.

cheers,
Ian

antihero
08-22-15, 08:15 AM
Trazadone isn't available in Australia for some weird reason.