View Full Version : Are you ever satisfied with pictures of yourself?

sarahsweets
08-21-15, 04:47 AM
I am not, First of all, I suck at selfies. I mean to get a selfie that I like requires a lot of pics, deletes and trial and error. For some reason I end up staring at the camera like i am about to commit murder or treason or something spooky. Or the angle is wrong, or I am looking in the wrong place. This isnt such a horrible thing considering the age of the selfie seems to be a ridiculous form of self worship and conceitedness, but it would be nice to find a way to change a profile pic once and a while. Even when other people say its good, it takes me so long to believe them, and I am wondering if this is carry over from poor self esteem. I know I am not hideous- but try telling my self esteem that.

Fuzzy12
08-21-15, 05:06 AM
I am not, First of all, I suck at selfies. I mean to get a selfie that I like requires a lot of pics, deletes and trial and error. For some reason I end up staring at the camera like i am about to commit murder or treason or something spooky. Or the angle is wrong, or I am looking in the wrong place. This isnt such a horrible thing considering the age of the selfie seems to be a ridiculous form of self worship and conceitedness, but it would be nice to find a way to change a profile pic once and a while. Even when other people say its good, it takes me so long to believe them, and I am wondering if this is carry over from poor self esteem. I know I am not hideous- but try telling my self esteem that.

Sarah you are beautiful and I don't know a single person who looks good on selfies. Selfies are taking way too close up, the angle is always wrong, etc.

I look horrible on pics. My nose looks crooked, my chin looks non-existent and my eyes always seem to have a maniac glint in them unless they are closed. I think, very few people like themselves on pics, maybe it's not because they look unattractive on pics but because it just looks different to how we imagine ourselves to be. Besides, pics rarely capture that which makes people really attractive, i.e. their personality.

Gilthranon
08-21-15, 06:15 AM
Well when it comes to pictures, or the aesthetics of anything really, I won't be satisfied until 6 styles are tried and it lives up to my ideals. So it's never quick 'n easy. But when I'm done and it lives up to it, I keep going back to look at it and I obsess ^^

Which is why I never take pics on travels. Either I lose myself in the obsession of any interesting angle or I enjoy life

Pilgrim
08-21-15, 06:41 AM
My trick is to not look at them, at least for a while. Then when I'm older I think how good looking I was.

Unmanagable
08-21-15, 11:49 AM
I used to dread the thought of being in pictures. I strongly feel it's self-esteem related. I was always made to feel ugly and less than, so why in the hell would I want to stare that in the face? There was a time I wouldn't even take out the garbage w/o make-up on and hair done because I felt so insecure about my looks.

I most especially hated the photo ops people made me pose for and wait for that damn count of three. I prefer natural shots that capture the flow of life.

I hated having my pic taken so much that I'd volunteer to take pics at all the outings and events I went to in hopes of avoiding being on the wrong side of the camera. Now that I'm almost 60 lbs lighter and feeling more confident in myself overall, I'm sort of anxious to see what I look like in a snapshot compared to the previous views.

I've never subjected myself to the selfie scene. I view that as being torturous for the peeps taking the pics, as well as those of us who have to scroll through them all since they're typically plastered all over social media.

Pilgrim
08-21-15, 12:53 PM
I wish I could feel really comfortable in photos. I think it has something to do with conveying the inner turmoil on your face.
When I was younger without any problems I use to look good in some photos.
I just don't want to grow old and have no photos of myself.

Sunlovinlady
08-21-15, 04:02 PM
Not always. I'll get one once in a while that I'm fine with. Selfies do seem silly. That's probably part of it for you. Just over analyzing the act of it. Don't take them on a day you don't feel your best. Try to take it from a little higher than your head, it's flattering, know which side of your face is more photogenic and try thinking of something that makes you happy while taking it. I understand the self-esteem stuff. I've worked on that a lot myself. Just remember that confidence is the most attractive thing you can wear.

Little Missy
08-21-15, 04:23 PM
If I hear a camera click, for some reason my eyes shut and my mouth opens...bad pictures.

Babyd19
08-23-15, 10:28 AM
Omg, I can relate to this for sure. It's like when the camera snaps it catches me at the goofiest moment ( mid blink or crooked smile ). And have you ever used face time!!! WTF!!!! Dont even get me started. I ask my husband for the next hour if I really look like that, It shows every imperfection.

mercuranian
09-05-15, 04:07 PM
Yep, I relate. I hated having my pic taken when young, felt like an ugly duckling; now I enjoy taking selfies when i'm feeling inspired. I have control over the lighting, angles etc. and if I get one good one out of 30 it's a success. lol

It's one way of showing myself some love, really... becoming more appreciative of my entirety and feeling beautiful is something I'm grateful for & it took me awhile to get here as I've been brutally critical of myself in the past.

agentmargo
09-09-15, 02:20 PM
Nope.

stef
09-09-15, 03:55 PM
only recently!

salleh
09-09-15, 04:42 PM
I see photos of me from many years ago and wonder what my problem was ....but now ...arghhhh .....

srsly, I am way better behind the camera rather than in front of it .....

glendagoodwitch
09-12-15, 01:50 AM
Never!!

Vivid_thoughts
11-14-15, 07:37 AM
I only like "Natural" pictures of myself, that means in the pub and I didn't realise someone was taking a photo. I have a few from work on functions where a few where taken which I like, I find it easier to smile when I want to smile, rather than for the sake of the camera.

BellaVita
11-14-15, 09:49 AM
I am often confused by selfies because it seems the pictures I take don't look like me, but it also happens the other way around because I see people's selfies and don't think it looks like them.

That said...

I'm very hard on myself, especially my body, so it is difficult for me to be pleased with a picture I take of myself.

I often see my own pictures as forever the "before" picture of what I want to be....

But then, I look at my pictures from a few years ago and think "wow, I thought I looked not good enough in that picture? My body looked great!"

I don't take many pictures of myself though.

I enjoy taking pictures of others though, and get very happy when the picture actually LOOKS like the person, and captures a little part of them that I see in them like the sparkle in their eye.

Corina86
11-14-15, 10:58 AM
If it's any consolation, I don't like it when people change their profile pics because I still associate the user-name with the old pic and it's confusing. But I understand you though. I look horrible in pictures. I still believe I'm prettier in real life than in pictures though. Damn cameras just don't understand true beauty :D!

midnightstar
11-14-15, 10:58 AM
I really hate having my picture taken, I'm ugly.

Socaljaxs
11-14-15, 11:02 AM
I'm very hard on myself, especially my body, so it is difficult for me to be pleased with a picture I take of myself.

I often see my own pictures as forever the "before" picture of what I want to be....

But then, I look at my pictures from a few years ago and think "wow, I thought I looked not good enough in that picture? My body looked great!"

I don't take many pictures of myself though..

:goodpost::thankyou::yes:
This sounds like me!people always say I'm photogenic but I obsese and my eye goes straight towards the imperfections I know about on my face..and when I not at my ideal weight, forget it, I rather do everything else but capture how wrong I look..

I took pictures for my business(for marketing matter, business cards website ext) over a month ago, got them back almost a month ago, and I can't pick one and be like ok here this one works. Cause, I don't love any of them, nor will I love any of them, since, I don't like my the way I look physically.. So many people I sent to pick for me and they keep picking ones, I hate the most:umm1::scratch::faint::eek:

People say, I'm photgenic, I'm like cool, still not happy with how I look! Reality is, that we are our own worst critic as well and we look for the imperfections in selfies and images period....But, silver lining.....there is a whole selfie industry and a newer branch out industry due to this lack of selfie loving of ones self... It is selfie filters, and Photoshopping type apps....there are so many apps out there now to filter your unhappiness of yourself in photos, to make you look perfect!
So once I do pick a picture, I need to say oh well this one, I will be filter happy with the parts of me I'm not happy with.

Fuzzy12
11-14-15, 11:13 AM
If it's any consolation, I don't like it when people change their profile pics because I still associate the user-name with the old pic and it's confusing. But I understand you though. I look horrible in pictures. I still believe I'm prettier in real life than in pictures though. Damn cameras just don't understand true beauty :D!

I hate how I look on pictures too and I think I'm way prettier in real life.:lol:

Sometimes i wonder though if a photo is a more objective presentation of my appearance, ie if it's closer to how I appear to others. Maybe my nose really is a bit crooked and maybe I really don't have much of a chin...:umm1:;)

But then I think, or I try to tell myself that getting an accurate representation of a 3d object in 2d isn't that likely...:cool:

(And then I feel.stupid for bothering about this trivial crap... :lol:)

addude94
11-14-15, 11:23 AM
I was starting to think this was just me
Everyone else seems to love being in pics

loverainbow
12-30-15, 05:36 PM
No. I am perplexed that other people think I am "attractive", "beautiful", "cute". I think I am never thin enough, never pretty enough, etc. despite having being paid to do commercial modelling, I hate selfies. I won't let people take pictures of me without my make up on.

Gryphonfyre
01-22-16, 04:03 AM
My selfies always seem to turn out poor, like what the heck is with the lighting or wow, this one really shows the imperfections in my face. I really don't like how I look in photos anyway, ever, and feel completely ugly, so, yeah, selfies...not so much.

Tmoney
01-22-16, 11:15 AM
I'm with you sister, I suck at selfies.

I like the pictures you post. They are interesting and different.

Bethylphenidate
01-22-16, 11:52 AM
It's very rare that I like a picture of myself.

It's taken me a long time to be comfortable with photos that don't highlight my best features, but nowadays I've taken to using such pictures as my defaults on social media. In them, I don't look 'good' or 'bad', I just look me, which sometimes happens to look "better" than other times. The me the people who know me already see, anyway. :) I don't take many selfies, so I usually use photos others took of me, and somehow those are always less flattering, lol.

One little thing that's helped me overcome this slightly: When being photographed with other people. I think to myself, "We're capturing a memory; one day I'll care more about having this picture than how I look in it." Of course this doesn't help with selfies, but it might eventually if it helps you feel more comfortable in front of the camera in the first place! Maybe?

dewrdr
07-28-16, 05:20 PM
I actually am, because I realise I've put so much effort and time into working on my self image and my body in general. I've changed a lot over the years.

Fuzzy12
07-28-16, 08:02 PM
000These days when I look at pics of me I cannot believe how incredibly bad looking I've become. I feel stupid and shallow that it troubles me but it does. It's not just pics though. I can hardly hear to look into a mirro00

Socaljaxs
07-28-16, 08:53 PM
000These days when I look at pics of me I cannot believe how incredibly bad looking I've become. I feel stupid and shallow that it troubles me but it does. It's not just pics though. I can hardly hear to look into a mirro00

I actually wish I was more confident in myself, and cared less about other opinions to throw selfies out there.... Still I hate being in pictures and I u usually avoid them at all cost.

julialouise
08-04-16, 12:40 PM

I have sooooo many selfie duplicates, selfies that I don't think are perfect, selfies that are a bit blurry, etc. Sometimes I never even post them.

The idea that selfies are vain and narcissistic and negative is just a social agreement. I think selfies are great and empowering, because no longer are we subject to the gaze of other people (specifically men), but we are finally in control of our image.

Our Bodies, Our Selfies: The Feminist Photo Revolution
http://time.com/3099103/feminist-selfies-uglyfeminists-iwokeuplikedis/

Are Selfies Empowering for Women? https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/feb/04/are-selfies-empowering-for-women

TheFitFatty
08-07-16, 06:03 AM
I hate seeing pictures of myself. I look so fat, and that's all I can see. But then I can't look away either. Bit of a car crash.

acdc01
08-07-16, 10:20 AM
I do not understand this craze over taking selfies. How can everyone else seem to "want" to take pictures of themselves all the time?

I rarely ever like any photos taken of me and yes, they always seem worse than I look in the mirror.

I have had occasions in the past where I had mild difficulties looking myself in the mirror too. But that seems to have gone away. Not cause I think I look so great but I don't find myself repulsive either. Plus because I feel like I look so much better in real life than my photos, I'd much rather look at myself there instead.

casper
08-07-16, 11:43 PM
I hate pictures of me. I am always making some weird face or something. I never look natural.

Selfies- yea I don't get it either. I was w my niece last week and it was selfie after selfie after selfie

RjoyD1
08-17-16, 03:00 PM
I never look good in photographs...period. :p

I hate my picture to be taken, even if I do it myself. There are, however, times that I get lucky and it looks halfway decent, but it takes a lot of work and patience, patience that I don't always have. lol!

sybil
08-19-16, 03:28 AM
When I look in the mirror I think I look pretty nice. I look much better in natural vs. posed pictures. It's a hit and miss with my pics. I tell you though, if I look bad in a photo, it makes me feel really down. :(