View Full Version : Everyone's suddenly bipolar, and I'm sick of it.

sarahsweets
08-23-15, 01:06 PM
In the 90's there was the stigma of the "ritalin" kids- all hyper boys whose parents wanted to zombify them, this was before a lot was known about treating adhd. Now, every bad thing that happens, the person is bipolar and stopped taking their medication. First of all, I know alot of this is the media and I hate the fact that the media carries so much influence, but that seems to be the way things are. Its making me f**king nuts. Most people with treated bipolar live perfectly normal lives- certain things about bipolar never change for some people-rapid cycling or manic episodes. I have very few manic/cycling episodes now that I have the right med combo but that doesnt mean I am cured. It doesnt mean that when I am truly happy or "up" Im getting manic. It doesnt mean when I am sad that I am falling into an unwarranted deep depression. Do not invalidate what I feel because you think you understand what the "bipolars" feel like. Do not imply that I must be off my meds.
We are not crazy. We are not criminal. Some of us cant take meds, and we should not be made to feel defective if thats the case. Some of us do take meds, and still suffer. Many of us have comorbids.
It seems like lately, whenever there is some off the wall crime, they link bipolar to it, its like a new thing. Its becoming hip in a weird sort of way to say youre bipolar.
People throw around the term to describe their change in moods.
If I hear " Im like bipolar today" one more time I might scream.
If you dont have it, dont claim it. If you dont understand it, shut your mouth. If you dont get it, dont talk about it as if you do. Reading about bipolar and living with it are not the same thing.
Most people with bipolar arent one to volunteer the info, like some badge of honor. If anything, the shame keeps us silent.
Mental Health awareness? PFFT. Yeah, right. I dont know anyone other than some people here, my doctors and close family that understand mental illness.
Put an end to the stigma. Stop the shame. If you participate in the jokes about it, you are perpetuating the stigma.
Trying to get well is hard enough. Trying to get well in a culture of shame and misconceptions feels impossible.

amberwillow
08-23-15, 01:32 PM
Yeah, I hear you. It's like people claiming they know what being blind is like because they blink.

meadd823
08-23-15, 05:29 PM
I have a daughter who is bi-polar and she had no problems letting her dad know that just because she was bi-polar did not mean she failed to have the same emotions as others. Happy is just that happy and becoming angry when some one screwed her over was a normal every day reaction

I do not believe that every thing should be blamed on a condition regardless of what that condition is - people with add, bi-polar, and depression have normal emotions just like those folks who do not

Lizzie80
08-23-15, 06:35 PM
In the 90's there was the stigma of the "ritalin" kids- all hyper boys whose parents wanted to zombify them, this was before a lot was known about treating adhd. Now, every bad thing that happens, the person is bipolar and stopped taking their medication. First of all, I know alot of this is the media and I hate the fact that the media carries so much influence, but that seems to be the way things are. Its making me f**king nuts. Most people with treated bipolar live perfectly normal lives- certain things about bipolar never change for some people-rapid cycling or manic episodes. I have very few manic/cycling episodes now that I have the right med combo but that doesnt mean I am cured. It doesnt mean that when I am truly happy or "up" Im getting manic. It doesnt mean when I am sad that I am falling into an unwarranted deep depression. Do not invalidate what I feel because you think you understand what the "bipolars" feel like. Do not imply that I must be off my meds.
We are not crazy. We are not criminal. Some of us cant take meds, and we should not be made to feel defective if thats the case. Some of us do take meds, and still suffer. Many of us have comorbids.
It seems like lately, whenever there is some off the wall crime, they link bipolar to it, its like a new thing. Its becoming hip in a weird sort of way to say youre bipolar.
If you dont have it, dont claim it. If you dont understand it, shut your mouth. If you dont get it, dont talk about it as if you do. Reading about bipolar and living with it are not the same thing.
Most people with bipolar arent one to volunteer the info, like some badge of honor. If anything, the shame keeps us silent.
Mental Health awareness? PFFT. Yeah, right. I dont know anyone other than some people here, my doctors and close family that understand mental illness.
Put an end to the stigma. Stop the shame. If you participate in the jokes about it, you are perpetuating the stigma.
Trying to get well is hard enough. Trying to get well in a culture of shame and misconceptions feels impossible.

Posts like this are why I adore your writing. :D

Even many doctors don't understand a thing about mental illness. They love to label. They love to hear themselves talk. They love to use us as guinea pigs. One thing many of them don't seem to like is hearing our side of things. Many of them won't stand up for their own patients, tell them to accept who they are, instead only trying to shut them up and "be normal". They either directly or indirectly add to the, "keep your mental illness in the closet and to yourself" mindset of our world.

They also often know zilch about the side effects, interactions with other substances, and dependencies that can be created by the drugs that they prescribe. My own sainted doctor listens to my needs, my feedback on anything he prescribes, and receives no kickbacks whatsoever on what he does prescribe. (It's a rule of their practice- no pharmaceutical reps are allowed at all, no funds are to be accepted by them or lobbyists or anyone else pushing a particular med. It means there's no samples, but I completely love this rule.) He is conservative in what he prescribes, but he also feels that my quality of life is more important than anything else. He obeys the Hippocratic Oath. I got lucky. My doctor is not impressed by Big Pharma, the FDA, etc. He is impressed by results- my results. That's it.

He also understands anxiety, depression, and other problems are not something he should be shaming his patients about. In fact, he is very comforting about that, speaking about things in a way that validates me. A doctor should never invalidate how a patient feels, or what they experience. Many doctors act as if we're disorganized, unmotivated, unfocused, manic, depressed or anxious on purpose, and as if we've never tried to control these things on our own! My doctor also acknowledges that our environment can create problems that we wouldn't have otherwise, but they may not be things we can get out of right away. This is key. All of us feel enough fear, shame, guilt, etc., about our diagnoses or "flaws" (as I at least have seen my own problems, despite them not being something I can control without medication and treatment). We certainly don't need a doctor or other authority figure adding to this. We all wish we could control ourselves in every situation and circumstance, but we can't. A doctor needs to know this!

I am also tired of the culture of shame, and I might add, the culture of conformity. I feel the two go together. We are expected to think, look and act a "certain" way...a way that is enigmatic, changeable, mythological, and impossible to achieve for many human beings. Normalcy is an elusive term, and many of us don't even know if such a thing is a good thing to reach for, let alone possible for us to achieve. If we color or doodle outside the lines of what society thinks is acceptable, we're labeled in a negative way. I'm sick and tired of labels. I label people myself...I'm certainly not saying that I don't also need to change. However, as I've said before, I'm getting fed up with trying to keep up. Trying to be everything to everyone, especially for very little in return. Most of all, because putting on that mask is heavy and exhausting. Shame keeps the mask on. I think it's time we all started speaking and feeling and living our truth without shame. How to do that in a competitive, conformist world is what I do not comprehend yet...

InvitroCanibal
09-08-15, 12:47 AM
It is black and white thinking that is the problem. The less people are engaged with life or try to understand the world around them, the more likely they will not have an opinion. The less likely they have an opinion, the more likely others will decide it for them. When that happens, however, the more likely they will defend it to the extreme, polarize into groups and oppress those around them.

I feel like too many people are just checking out of life and letting others think for them. It is frustrating to the point where society feels toxic.

However, the good news is that even though I feel like the majority of people have no opinion, it means that well thought ideas are more powerful then ever.

That's why it is worth it to advocate for those with disorders as well as educate others, and not lose hope.

Shelby77
09-21-15, 02:33 AM
This is very strange. I'm a 38 yr old woman, I've always known I was drifters the, and moody...but I get moody because I can't say what I'm thinking.. Words come out wrong. Or it doesn't make sense once said.. My grades were horrible as a child.. I couldn't focus, or pay attention longer the a minute.. So grew up being teased, and just accepted that I was dumb.. When I had kids, my best friends daughter is adhd or isn't, the doc gave her Ritalin. Turned her daughter into walking zombie. It was until that time did I start to think.. Hmm lets looks at symptoms. Sure enough, it was like they where talking about me....
I finally go seek professional help, as I can't do this no more, gone threw jobs, relationships, now I battle a drug addiction. Well he diagnosed me with.
Ready for this.

ADHD
Bi polar
And manic

I was like

Wha?
I know me , myself,, ya ok I got a temper, and I'm roller coaster moody. But manic? Nope I'm not depressed..
the doc says, well you tried and think about suicicde since a very young age...
I got mad,
Dude, I was sexually molested by a family member. Wtf do u think ..

Ok I'm rambling. I had a point.
Oh ya, that they give degrees to anyone nowadays. I should get one.. Make good money. Charge 100$ an hour. Lol

fracturedstory
09-30-15, 12:14 AM
I don't tend to hear about crime being linked to bipolar as much in the news as you do. All I hear is 'ice addict' 'went psycho on ice' 'ice ice baby.'

I don't feel ashamed about my bipolar. If anything I have a reason why I do the things I do. I'm a rapid cycler too so moods don't take long to go from happy to manic to severely depressed. I suppose hearing about it in the news and by people who are just just a bit energetic (omg im so bipolar today lol) would get annoying.

I dunno though I believe mental health awareness is a good thing. It's just telling people what the condition is, the symptoms but also showing the people suffering from it are still people.

Andi
09-30-15, 01:37 AM
What I love is when the media pins Bipolar on one person who appears to go off the rails and manic depressive on some that are considered "famous" since, for some reason, manic depression is a softer way to explain away their behavior. Poor (insert actor) they have manic depression and can't help it. However, crazy man causes turmoil on airplane and gets shot because he's Bipolar and off his meds. It's crap.

I have fought for years to justify my emotions. Yes I'm Bipolar but I have every right to be angry or cry...you ticked me off and you hurt my feelings. My meds don't take away emotions and they don't prevent you from being an ***.

midnightstar
09-30-15, 05:48 AM
I don't have bipolar but just wanted to say something.

At work some of the others at work had to do mental health awareness (the nurses/doctors/healthcare assistants etc) and tbh the supposed "course" they did (I saw the booklet thing they had to fill in) and basically the booklet thing wasn't worth the paper it was written on. Mental health awareness? Mental health UNawareness more like ..... it's like with learning disabilities, they've got a big poster thing up at work about it but yet some people there still talk to anyone with an obvious learning disability as if they're a toddler ....

What I love is when the media pins Bipolar on one person who appears to go off the rails and manic depressive on some that are considered "famous" since, for some reason, manic depression is a softer way to explain away their behavior. Poor (insert actor) they have manic depression and can't help it. However, crazy man causes turmoil on airplane and gets shot because he's Bipolar and off his meds. It's crap.

I have fought for years to justify my emotions. Yes I'm Bipolar but I have every right to be angry or cry...you ticked me off and you hurt my feelings. My meds don't take away emotions and they don't prevent you from being an ***.

I'm confused now ... I thought Bipolar and Manic Depression were the same thing? :scratch:

Andi
09-30-15, 12:59 PM
They are the same but in the US Manic Depression is used as a softer way to say Bipolar. It's almost as if it's politically correct when discussing someone famous and their mental illness. Where Bipolar has a stigma that you're ...best way to say is crazy. For some Bipolar is a way to explain their irrational behavior, much like some will explain away their lack of focus/scattered reaction as "I must be ADD today."

Fuzzy12
09-30-15, 01:12 PM
I do agree Sarah with what you said about the stigma of being bipolar and all kinds of stupid and horrible things being attribute to people who are bipolar, etc.

But I also think we need to be a bit cautious here because bipolar and bipolar disorder (or whatever the official name is) are two different things. Bipolar just means having two poles so someone saying that they are feeling a bit bipolar or their mood feels bipolar isn't inherently objectionable or wrong and it doesn't mean that they necessarily need to have bipolar disorder or are saying anything related to bipolar disorder.

(As an aside, I remember some fuss a while ago because a weather forecaster called the weather bipolar and some people thought he was being insensitive to people with bipolar disorder..)

Mistapicklesc
12-12-15, 01:29 AM
You should know that while bipolar disorder remains
A mystery as to what causes it, half of the world suffers
From a mental illness and goes untreated.

As well as, we are products of the enviorment we grow up
In and that factors in how we approach things in life. Bipolar
Disorder is usually diagnosed with 2 or 3 other mental conditions,
And it's easier to use a mental illness that generates either homicidal
Or suicidal tendcies then say that someone had aniexty or depression
Went off their rockers.

Then you have to factor in the types of bipolar disorder, and based on
The type determines how many manic episodes they will experience in
Their lifetime. I am type 1, so I am both hypo manic and manic. While
With type 2, you're either manic or hypoomanic. There's a few types of
This disorder.

With the media, trends are factored on how much buzz they can get,
And since bipolar disorder is linked with depression, anyone who goes
Through a bad period in their life may think that they too suffer from it,
And self diagnose.

Leomessi
12-30-15, 09:45 AM
I'm diagnosed with the type 2 and I'd do a lot to take away the label of it , I'm the u.k it's not so cool here ... Not to mention services you are offerd are pretty much just to deal with the lows of the illness . I'm unsure of if it is being over diagnosed or self diagnosed on a worldy scale so my apoligies in my ignorance their.Anyway in terms of wrong doing I'd always put the blame on myself , I do t suffer delusions so that part might differ but if I was to lash out at some one when having a bad day it's still makes wrong doing on my part maybe I'm higher odds to do so but I still should not because I know that it is wrong.Hope I wrote this out all right :)

sarahsweets
12-31-15, 04:29 AM
I do agree Sarah with what you said about the stigma of being bipolar and all kinds of stupid and horrible things being attribute to people who are bipolar, etc.

But I also think we need to be a bit cautious here because bipolar and bipolar disorder (or whatever the official name is) are two different things. Bipolar just means having two poles so someone saying that they are feeling a bit bipolar or their mood feels bipolar isn't inherently objectionable or wrong and it doesn't mean that they necessarily need to have bipolar disorder or are saying anything related to bipolar disorder.

(As an aside, I remember some fuss a while ago because a weather forecaster called the weather bipolar and some people thought he was being insensitive to people with bipolar disorder..)

I get what you mean, I guess I mean bipolar or bipolar disorder in the context of mental illness.

KarmanMonkey
01-08-16, 11:30 AM

I get what you're saying, and technically you're correct. Part of the problem is that I don't feel the general public understands that distinction, and can easily use or interpret the terms interchangably.

Rebelyell
01-09-16, 01:13 PM
I'm bipolar and I'm Winning!

Rebelyell
01-09-16, 01:15 PM
One day weather was so up n down for a week I said at work sheesh god must be having so overwhelmed he's having a bipolar week.I've never seen people laugh so hard before

Phesto
01-15-16, 04:50 AM
I think the shift is due to the expanded understanding of how Bipolar can manifest. It's understood that it is no longer solely categorized as Manic-Depressive where they bounce between a 1/10 and a 10/10 on their mood. Bipolar II is a separate subcategory that was added because people were still demonstrating fluctuations in mood without transitioning to full blown mania.

Given that, many Bipolar cases may be difficult to distinguish from unipolar Depression and are often mistakenly treated that way. What is most unfortunate about this is that the SSRI antidepressasnts frequently used as first line treatments for Depression don't have the same effect on bipolar patients and have shown that they can result in a worse outcome than if they hadn't taken the medication.

sarahsweets
01-15-16, 07:25 AM
I think the shift is due to the expanded understanding of how Bipolar can manifest. It's understood that it is no longer solely categorized as Manic-Depressive where they bounce between a 1/10 and a 10/10 on their mood. Bipolar II is a separate subcategory that was added because people were still demonstrating fluctuations in mood without transitioning to full blown mania.

Given that, many Bipolar cases may be difficult to distinguish from unipolar Depression and are often mistakenly treated that way. What is most unfortunate about this is that the SSRI antidepressasnts frequently used as first line treatments for Depression don't have the same effect on bipolar patients and have shown that they can result in a worse outcome than if they hadn't taken the medication.

I agree with you about ssri's. They really didnt work for me. I have only done well with an SNRI.

AddAnxiousMe
06-09-16, 03:34 PM

This is an interesting post and I also feel the aggravation that you manifest in it. And you're so right about the joke of "Mental Health Awareness". My brother and I go to the same doctor. I have had a hard time with agoraphobia/severe panic disorder and depression that has made working very difficult for me all of my life. My brother suffers more with GAD and depression, but he has a Class A Engineer's license and has had some good jobs. But when he discussed about applying for a new position, our doctor told him not to disclose that he takes medication or sees a psychiatrist! He said that although he is a staunch advocate for mental health awareness, he has had patients who disclosed their problems at job interviews and didn't get the position. He said that even though they aren't supposed to discriminate, they do it all the time. He said he's seen it happen too many times and that's why he advised my brother to keep his mouth shut.
Sad but true:(.

jkimbo
12-12-16, 03:42 PM
I think in the past 10 years being bipolar has become kind of hip. If they kept the old name, manic depressant, I doubt that would have happened lol

I was diagnosed as a manic depressant in 1987 and I was afraid to tell anyone! But now it's only bipolar, and there are memes and so many Hollywood stars have come out as being bipolar I think that has had a impact on the sudden explosion of new BP people. Just my 2 cents.

ginniebean
12-12-16, 03:51 PM
For just a small start I would like to see stigma rooted out of the medical professions top to bottom. That is the bare minimum and people with mental illness deserve treatment without stigma from all medical personel.

If we're going to put pressure somewhere this is the place to start. It hurts us a lot more when a professional is vlabbering away ablism to all and sundry.

Arei
05-07-17, 09:19 PM
I admit I make a ton of bipolar weather jokes (because Texas weather is officially bipolar, there's no question. It just is.).. Actually I make a ton of bipolar jokes. It probably should bother me more than it does. I'm not really ashamed of being bipolar. I'm quite honest about it with people and speak openly because I want people to know that its *not* the dramatized ******** that the media portrays bipolar people to be.

From the people that I know personally, and see and talk to working in pharmacy, bipolar people are pretty damn normal. The people that the media calls "bipolar people off their meds" when crimes are committed and use that as a term to describe someone who's mentally ill and has done something horrendous; they usually have A LOT more going on than *just* being bipolar or they're not even bipolar at all. They've got something a lot more serious going on there. Being bipolar has nothing to do with what they did at all.

Addressing an above post, I wouldn't say i'm bipolar in a job interview, no, but I am open about it with my boss and coworkers (hell I fill all my meds where I work they can see all the **** I'm on LOL). Things were rocky until I DID open up about being bipolar, and then everyone became a lot more understanding. I'm also open about it with my friends. Its actually my family I can't be 100% open about it with because they just don't want to believe there's something going on with me or something (well, my mom is understanding but she doesn't want to consider me bipolar. My grandpa thinks I'm just lazy). The mental illness really stems from my dad's family, but I don't talk to his jerk *** (honestly wouldn't be surprised if he is bipolar, as was his dad too).

I really don't notice that many people claiming to be bipolar when they're really not but the bipolar jokes are pretty prevalent. People claiming their computer is bipolar, their cat is bipolar, stuff like that. Otherwise its mostly weather jokes around me because thats a long-standing joke here. But I definitely don't shy away from bringing awareness to what being bipolar is all about so I'm always up for educating folks. I really don't have to do it often though. It might be different for some of yall in the older crowd thats been fighting the stigma and prejudice for decades, but for a lot of the people that I encounter in my regular life it kinda seems like being bipolar is an "eh, whatever" thing. Except people are nicer to you because you HAVE to be on medication because you can't help being bipolar whilst "depressed" people can *do* something about their depression that doesn't require medication... but that's another loaded topic. People are stupid.

It does seem like the perception of bipolar IS changing, though. Some of it is positive change.