View Full Version : I won't sleep before I hand in this final report so I can complete my studies!

Jacksper
08-26-15, 04:53 PM
Hi everyone!

It's 10:30 now and I am finishing my final report for my studies as we speak! If necessary I will work the whole night to finish this, so I can complete my studies!

My supervisor has told me that he will evaluate my report very quickly, so I expect that I will get my grade tomorrow! Then my studies will be over! This means a lot to me!!

My studies was quite difficult; not the contents, but I struggled a lot with ADD and depression. A lot of times I have thought that I was destined to be a failure, that I would not finish this. This night I will prove that wrong!

30 minutes ago I got a surprise visit from friends who told me that they believe me that I could really do this. They said that I should give them a call when I have handed it in (which will probably be around 2-3 at night), and then they will come again to have a beer with me to celebrate! I am so happy that I have such good friends!

What will also help me this night:
1) I will use the pomodoro technique, which helps me to stay focused and work effectively.
2) I have a good supply of food and drinks, so plenty of fuel
3) I just got my meds today and I can already feel that they help me concentrate.
4) I don't normally smoke, but I got a pack of cigarettes that I use to self medicate. It's strange, but I have already done this many night in my studies and it always helps a lot. I will have a sore throat tomorrow, but I am prepared to do whatever it takes! ;)
5) Throughout the night I will put updates on the family whatsapp (so my whole family is watching and encouraging me).
6) I will post here between my pomodoro's.
7) I've got plenty of time. I only need 2-3 more hours, but I have until half past 6.
8) I've got a computer with 2 23-inch monitors, which makes working really nice.

I'm going to start another pomodoro now. See you in 25 minutes!

Good night!
J

Fuzzy12
08-26-15, 05:32 PM
Best of luck and keep us updated. I'm sure you can do this too

I don't want to be a party pooper and if you've got a momentum going then keep it going but unless your deadline is tomorrow if you do get too sleepy don't feel bad about getting some sleep and finishing up in the morning. Or is your deadline tomorrow at half six?

Anyway, I think you have already written down great ideas to keep you working but here are some things that help me stay awake:

Washing my face with cold water

Drinking coke (I think it's the combination of sugar and caffeine and being cold that does the trick)

Fruits

Going for short walks outside.

So you'll be done tomorrow..how exciting!!!

Just read that you are on meds so maybe coke or anything wwith caffeine isn't that great an idea.

Fuzzy12
08-27-15, 02:40 AM
Hey, how did it go? Hope you are sleeping now. :-)

Jacksper
08-27-15, 09:20 AM
Hey!

Thanks for the interest! :)

I've handed it in at 6:53 in the morning... and my ride to work arrived at 7 am! I worked very effectively during the whole night, I took few break and just kept on pushing. I am quite content with the result!

I hope my teacher is too. Staying awake at work was a struggle, but I managed to get through the day. Now it's 3:15 pm and I will take 3 hours of rest, before I will have dinner with some friends.

I managed to talk with my supervisor... on the phone... and he said that he got the report and that he will check it today or tomorrow... just in time for the deadline. I checked my email at least a hundred times.

It is so amazing to think that it is most probably over now. However I also feel a lot of emotion... it's hard to believe... I get strange thought, like what if he doesn't check it in time... and so forth. Another reason to get some sleep now. I don't need more than 5 minutes to fall asleep.

Cheers,
Jack

psychopathetic
08-27-15, 09:42 AM
Man, nice job!

(((((((JACK)))))))

Can't wait to hear what your supervisor has to say later!!

Fuzzy12
08-27-15, 09:46 AM
well done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Fingers crossed for the results!!!

:yes:

Jacksper
08-27-15, 05:58 PM
Wyoming and Fuzzy, thanks for your support! :) It may sound strange, but it means a lot to me! :)

I can't wait to hear back from my supervisor. I try not to think about it, it's so intense - I swing from strong self-doubt to feeling extremely hopeful! Anyways, I can sleep for 6.5 hours now... jeej :)!

It was a fascinating day. I worked all night (on my thesis) and all day (on my job) and then I slept for 2 hours, I helped 2 friends move to a different house, I had many beers with super good friends and now finally I have some time for myself... and time to sleep. All the time I feel so many emotions... in part because of what is happening, but also because of how tired I am.

So... good night!

Little Missy
08-27-15, 06:21 PM
Luck to you Jacks. You've got this. :)

PoppnNSailinMan
09-02-15, 07:44 PM
It was a fascinating day. I worked all night (on my thesis) and all day (on my job) and then I slept for 2 hours, I helped 2 friends move to a different house, I had many beers with super good friends and now finally I have some time for myself... and time to sleep. All the time I feel so many emotions... in part because of what is happening, but also because of how tired I am.

So... good night!

Good luck Jack! I've been in a similar situation where I stayed up all night and barely got my thesis finished and turned in just before the deadline.