View Full Version : Has anyone here felt depressed then started taking ADHD medicine & felt better?

ccualumni
08-26-15, 09:22 PM
So I had a long post written about this question, but when I tried to post it, I got an error and everything was erased.

Instead of writing that post again, I will simplify my question.

Has anyone here been diagnosed/treated/felt depressed, but after taking ADHD medicine felt better (or got rid of their depression)?

Thanks

aeon
08-28-15, 12:18 PM
Aside from its primary function as a treatment for my ADHD-PI, Dexedrine is the most efficacious antidepressant I have ever experienced.

That said, a lot of that has to do with the nature of my depression, so I hardly see it as a generalized first-line treatment for depression. It is sometimes prescribed for cases of treatment-resistant depression, however, and with success.

cheers,
Ian

Little Missy
08-28-15, 12:52 PM
Yes! For many years I was told I had chronic recurrent depression and once I began being prescribed stimulants my whole life pretty much changed.

stef
08-28-15, 01:02 PM
I'm actually not diagnosed with ADHD, but I was once prescribed an antidepressant and it did absolutely nothing for me (except turn me into a complete zombie).
My life has improved greatly just by finding out about how to manage symptoms!
I think a lot of people on the forums have had very good experiences with stimulants.

sarahsweets
08-28-15, 03:26 PM
Umm....yea just ask college students.

Pilgrim
08-28-15, 04:06 PM
You bet. I didn't really understand depression and anxiety when I growing up. Then as a young adult I started to suffer quite badly. These medications turned the lights back on. I just want to be happy.

BioLiberate
09-20-15, 06:48 PM
Yep. You might want to look into Bupropion.

MaulikShah
11-25-15, 07:53 AM
Yes, it works. Few years back, I was in depression and ADHD medicine helped me a lot in getting rid of it.

ADHDsim
12-09-15, 06:19 AM
Yes, like I said to my original doctor before being medicated: " I don't think I'm the depressive type or that I even have real anxiety, if my brain would just shut the F up for a moment and let me do the things I need to do in life to get better out comes then maybe I'd be a lot happier."

Further more I noted "I'm not depressed but I become very harsh against myself everytime the real world Sneaks up on me and kicks me up the *** for neglecting basic responsibilities"

There's certainly direct and indirect benefits from my medication, I've recently up my doseage (doctor agreed) and I do find that I still have a mild depression outside of my control.

Fuzzy12
12-09-15, 07:01 AM
Yes, I got rid of my depression of 10 years after I started taking stimulants. :)

daveddd
12-09-15, 10:43 AM
Yea. There are a few reasons

Stimulants make u feel good

ADHD may cause depression. But I'm not sure improving ADHD symptoms would erase a life of depression

And a new one being studied. Rumination is the main predictor of depression

Attention meds can bring ur attention out of rumination and into the moment. Breaking the cycle

DeltaJ
04-29-16, 04:35 PM
Personally, my depression is/was directly related to my complete lack of motivation and constant feeling of apathy. I do think I am a lazy person, in general, but what made me realize it was bigger than just "laziness" is that I was starting to become very reclusive, always coming up with reasons to not go out with friends etc.
Now I'm prescribed vyvanse, and the fact that I am always motivated to do ANYTHING AT ALL has completely flipped my world around...even though I do fall into several of the adhd symptoms categories, I rly don't know that I have adhd or that I can relate to the problems that are generally associated with adhd. All I know is that the chain reaction of changes that occur from me taking adhd meds has been a life saver!
By chain reaction, I am talking about how fixing one problem (lack of motivation/energy/etc) fixed SEVERAL other problems: depression, apathy, stress, social anxiety, issues with doing well at work, etc).
In that manner I DO strongly believe that treating adhd STRONGLY overlaps with treating depression.

sarahsweets
04-30-16, 04:03 AM
Personally, my depression is/was directly related to my complete lack of motivation and constant feeling of apathy. I do think I am a lazy person, in general, but what made me realize it was bigger than just "laziness" is that I was starting to become very reclusive, always coming up with reasons to not go out with friends etc.
Now I'm prescribed vyvanse, and the fact that I am always motivated to do ANYTHING AT ALL has completely flipped my world around...even though I do fall into several of the adhd symptoms categories, I rly don't know that I have adhd or that I can relate to the problems that are generally associated with adhd. All I know is that the chain reaction of changes that occur from me taking adhd meds has been a life saver!
By chain reaction, I am talking about how fixing one problem (lack of motivation/energy/etc) fixed SEVERAL other problems: depression, apathy, stress, social anxiety, issues with doing well at work, etc).
In that manner I DO strongly believe that treating adhd STRONGLY overlaps with treating depression.

You're not cray cray for thinking that. They have done studies on people with treatment resistant depression having success with stimulants. Also read a few having success with provigil but thats not approved for adhd or depression. I am not sure, but I *think* maybe certain adhd meds can be approved for depression too?
I know stratterra was originally made and marketed as an antidepressant.

Little Nut
04-30-16, 09:35 AM
---SNIP---
Has anyone here been diagnosed/treated/felt depressed, but after taking ADHD medicine felt better (or got rid of their depression)?

Yes. The amphetamines iirc were the first popular AD's. Now I think they are just used as an adjunct to treat depression in some cases. There are many symptoms of depression that overlap w/ ADHD symptoms and for those I think they are effective.

Roundmouth
04-30-16, 12:15 PM
Litterally: Yes. I've never been depressed but I've felt depressed and stimulants took away that feeling. The problem was cognitive, only secondary emotional, and getting some control over my cognitive functions made me feel better.