View Full Version : Am I depressed?

jman05
08-26-15, 09:39 PM
I don't exhibit most of the classic signs of depression. I still keep active and have all my hobbies and interests. I still sleep well. I still like to go out, but most of my days I haven what can be described this dull, sinking pain in the core of my body,combined with a sadness and inability to smile. Within the past year, I have just become quieter and more withdrawn in many social situations just because I feel sad and disconnected and depressed.

BellaVita
08-27-15, 01:59 AM
It could be low-grade depression.

"Sometimes when people experience mild, low-grade depression they may not even realize that they are depressed. In fact, their chronic feelings of sadness and low mood have been around for so long that it simply feels normal to them."

- Quote taken from About.com

I got diagnosed with this a few years back, it ebbs and flows. Sometimes disappears altogether.

I didn't even have the slightest clue I was depressed, because it was chronic and low-grade enough and subtle enough that I didn't realize I was depressed.

I went on SSRIs for a while, had an adverse reaction to them and they didn't really help. But they are still worth looking into as many people benefit greatly from antidepressants - it can make all the difference for some people.

Now I just exercise often and that lifts my mood quite a bit. It's really a huge difference for me whether I've exercised or not.

Another thing is it could be a situational thing - I know for me once I removed myself from an abusive living situation my depression lifted significantly.

I still experience bouts of low mood, but I do the best I can to cope.

Do you have anyone to talk to about this?

I would recommend seeing a psychiatrist too, even if just to talk about what you're experiencing and to see if they have any recommendations.

jman05
08-27-15, 07:48 PM
I think it sounds bizarre to not know you are depressed. I think at times when it was milder I might have just been in denial? If you don't know you are depressed then how can you be depressed? Anyways, being mildly depressed sucks so bad I can only imagine what it is actually like to be severely depressed.

BellaVita
08-29-15, 01:33 PM
I think it sounds bizarre to not know you are depressed. I think at times when it was milder I might have just been in denial? If you don't know you are depressed then how can you be depressed? Anyways, being mildly depressed sucks so bad I can only imagine what it is actually like to be severely depressed.

It can go undetected by the person experiencing it because they just think it's normal to feel sad all the time and hardly enjoy things.

It becomes a mental state that happens all the time and so it can be difficult to tell if depressed - especially if it's not severe depression.

Also identifying emotions and feelings can be difficult for some people.

Like I said I didn't know at the time I was depressed a few years ago until my psychiatrist told me.

coffeesudoku
01-23-16, 02:15 AM
You could be. I mean it seems like you are just by the way that you're talking. It just might not be as severe like everyone else is also saying. Talk to a doctor because they will better be able to help you out.

DJ Bill
01-23-16, 09:45 AM
Check out dysthymia. Fellow sufferer here. I was in denial for the last decade.....

Fuzzy12
01-23-16, 10:04 AM

If it sucks so much maybe it's not that mild?

Unmanagable
01-23-16, 10:22 AM
Do you have past traumas that went ignored and unaddressed through the years? That is what set me up for a journey of misdiagnoses and emotional hellish havoc.

Then I was prescribed a ton of anti-deppressants, among other things, that made things even worse before I had a chance to even realize what I truly needed to help me feel better.

How well do you know your own story, so far, and how well are you communicating the whole thing to the professionals trying to help? How much genuine support do you have in family and friends?

We need support and professional help to find our optimum level of functioning, more often than not. Finding credible help is critical, as well as having someone to confide in and talk to who doesn't pass judgement. Wishing you the best in your seeking relief.

DJ Bill
01-23-16, 11:20 AM
Dump the denial and get treatment....it's sooo worth it when it works!

This coming from someone who did the opposite, even though he had been treated before, and didn't want to admit it had come back. Had I not done that, and the painful work that goes along with it, I would still be clueless about the ADHD and lots of stuff I need to change in my life.

Life in a heavy wet paper bag stinks.

Twiggy
03-02-16, 07:48 PM
Depression comes in so many forms. If you feel depressed, then go get professional help from a doctor.

katrin-ru
03-24-16, 05:10 AM
Yes it may be the early stage of depression (http://undepress.net/exploring-depression-3-stages-of-depression/) At this stage there are signals such as lack of appetite, irritability, sleeping problems...