View Full Version : Intuiv

IAdoreEvan
08-27-15, 11:28 PM
Hi, everybody. Nice to meet you. :heart:

I have three sons. One is an adult, age 29, most likely an Aspie (or would have been, until the DX was removed this past May). My middle son, age 12, is classic/Kanner autistic and intellectually delayed (and a delight). My youngest is age 9, smart as a whip, funny, social BUT immature and has had "autistic-like characteristics." He has never been DXd on the spectrum by anyone. Long ago, he had speech delay. That's good and gone, his vocabulary is Little Professor-ish now. :)

He is a delight, a sweet, happy, cheerful boy, but he wound up in ASRD (autism spectrum and related disorders) when he needed "constant redirection" and was beginning to have anger/frustration fits in the classroom in kindergarten. We never felt that was really the right fit, but we didn't feel there was much we could do. They said they had no supports for him if we kept him in general ed.

His neurologist DXd him with something, finally: ADHD. This just happened this summer. We had to make another appointment to discuss options. We were open to the possibility of medication so Intuiv was prescribed.

Getting home, however, the side effects look extremely scary.

Anyone have any experience with this med? Ev's main issues are:

* inability to sit still (physically)
* difficulty staying on task, but scores very high on testing in all academics when he can focus (on non-modified, standard tests)
* after X amount of redirections/corrections/etc., gets very frustrated/angry and tantrums...has even thrown a chair several times in the classroom (SO unlike him)
* "squirrel" syndrome X10...I mean...my God...he can literally walk into a room to do something and with the blowing on the wind, turn the opposite way and when I ask him, "Weren't you just about to go do X?" he stares at me blankly for a few seconds with that "oh sh*t, I lost track AGAIN" look
* very, very, very smart for his age
* very immature

Thanks for any help!

Unmanagable
08-28-15, 12:29 AM
I don't have any advice to offer, but wanted to stop in and welcome you to the community. Glad you decided to be a part of it. :)

IAdoreEvan
10-29-15, 10:59 AM
Thank you. :)

moonshyne
11-14-15, 12:19 AM
I'm a newbie here and was just given this intuniv stuff to give my son in addition to the concerta he is already taking. Haven't started it yet because like you I have my fears about giving my kid more meds. I just got the prescription yesterday and won't start it until I have more info on it. It seems like we are at the right place though, hopefully we both get some good feedback on it :)

I can relate to the shock at things that go on at school that never happen at home. My son has done/said things at school I never dreamed of him doing. I wonder if they (the school) are just plain driving him crazy with micromanaging every minute of every day for him..that and in my case the program is brand new..for some reason they shut down a perfectly good program and replaced it with a terrible one in that they have inexperienced teachers running it. I just want to let you know your not alone and I feel the same way about starting this med. I posted my story but because I am new I guess my post will take awhile to show up. My son's behavior has gotten far worse and I have to wonder if it's the meds causing the problems they are supposed to help! My son is 7 years old and has been diagnosed since the age of 4/5 with ADHD.

tonyd0517
11-17-15, 11:21 AM
Hey,

Everything you described sounds like my son. He is 7 and was diagnosed in September with ADHD with a strong point being he has trouble controlling his emotions. His doctor has mentioned Intuniv to us, before, but I am just not a fan of the way she describes it. She has told us it was make him calm and essentially take the anger out of him. The boy isn't angry, he gets frustrated, so we have always pushed away from intuniv.

We were prescribed Focalin, which was very hit or miss with my son. He also had a massive crash when coming off of it. He started complaining about not liking the way it made him feel and after about 6 weeks we took him off of it and asked the Dr to switch us to Vyvanse. Vyvanse was her original choice of medication for him but there was an insurance issue which was resolved. He is on his 3rd week of Vyvanse and a lot of the issues he was having with Focalin are not there. He seems more himself, personality wise on Vyvanse and when he comes down, he doesnt get cranky or overly emotional, he just seems to get ADHD again, haha. It also seems to last him 10 hours, too, which is nice.

Sorry to hijack your thread a little, but those are my experiences with medication, so far. All kids react to all medication differently, so don't be afraid to speak up to your doctor if the one you try is not working the way you want.

Socaljaxs
11-17-15, 12:13 PM
I don't have advice, but I wanted to say hi and welcome to another LA person here. I'm over Im over in the valley...Lol I'm a little older than your oldest son...no kids but was first dianosed at 10 and went to public lausd schools. But if you are in LAUsD public schools, they do in fact have resources available for students, even if they don't go to the tradional special needs school... you may have to go to the board and do some Google home work but knowing s few friends that are teachers yes they do have options and services available.

ccom5100
11-18-15, 11:02 AM
My experience with Intuniv (guanfacine) - it calms the hyperactivity and impulsivity. At first, the child is very tired until his body gets used to it (about a week or two). My grandson takes the shorter acting version (Tenex). Unlike Intuniv, you need to take it 2x/day. I give him 1mg in the am and 1mg after school. I like Tenex better because you can titrate up or down by 1/2 mg by splitting the tablets. It is not a controlled substance like the stimulant meds, and it is very inexpensive. My child did gain some weight when he was taking guanfacine alone. Now he takes it in conjunction with Concerta and I am pleased with how that combination of meds interact. The guanfacine didn't address his focus issues; which is why we added the concerta.

ccom5100
11-18-15, 12:07 PM
For those who are reluctant to try meds and need something that will mainly address focus issues, you can also look into Vayarin, which is a prescription supplement. Some people have reported good results; however it does take anywhere from 1-3 months for the results to surface. It is quite pricey and not usually covered by insurance, but it meets the criteria for those who are not ready to give their children ahdd meds.