View Full Version : Other treatments for depression? I

picard
08-28-15, 02:38 PM
What other treatments for depression other than CBT?

Daydreamin22
08-28-15, 08:19 PM
I'm not sure... you mean like therapeutic? I know exercising everyday is a big one.

Lizzie80
08-29-15, 12:21 PM
What other treatments for depression other than CBT?

Travel, or getting out in nature. Sometimes a simple daily walk will do. Other times, we need to take a longer trip away from home and work to get fresh perspective. The woods, the beach, the mountains, etc. Getting out of "our" environment and element and into that of another world - be it alone, or preferably, with other people that are lively and happy types - can be a life-changer.

Making a change that's visible and pushes us a bit as far as boundaries go can be a great thing. For a woman, that can mean getting a serious haircut and changing her haircolor to something a little wild (for them). For a man, I don't know, whatever the male equivalent of that is! :)

For some people, serving others is a way out of depression. Working in a nursing home, teaching Sunday school, volunteering at a soup kitchen, going on a missionary trip, writing to someone regularly who is in prison through a formal letter-writing program, etc. Any of these pulls us a bit out of ourselves and for a few moments or hours, gets us into the world at large and makes us bless other people in a formal way. It doesn't necessarily heal depression, but it's one more step in a good direction. A lack of community and the feeling of belonging to this world in a deep way can be a big problem underlying depression.

Getting out of our bubble in some way is the key. Seeing past our own lives. That's not the whole or only cause of depression, far from it. However, it can give us the distance we need to move forward in some positive, proactive way.

Daydreamin22
08-29-15, 12:54 PM
Thank you Lizzie!!

sarahsweets
08-29-15, 03:14 PM
All kinds of therapy (art,music,cbt,dbt,etc), yoga and other meditative stuff.