View Full Version : Anyone else notice & dislike this?

agentmargo
08-31-15, 03:46 PM
Ok...so there seems to be this stereotype that men can be the crazy genius who is high-energy and absentminded about the "little" details, but that women always have to be the "sidekick" distilling common sense and telling the men to calm down in an exasperated but amused tone of voice. Basically men get to be Sherlock Holmes, women have to be the Dr. Watson.
Examples:
Dr. Greg House (crazy genius) & Dr. Lisa Cuddy (common-sense person)
Dr. Alan Grant (genius paleontologist from 'Jurassic Park' specializing in velociraptors) & Dr. Whats-Her-Face (less-reknowned common-sense paleobotanist...because being a paleontologist would require knowledge of vertebrate reptile predators, which is too dangerous for such a delicate flower)
Agent Mulder (creative genius) & Agent Scully (book-smart buzzkill)*
[^the above example is slightly different because Agent Scully is actually allowed to be intelligent instead of "common-sense-smart"]

Okay, I'm done complaining. Rant over ;)

Gilthranon
09-01-15, 04:00 AM
I agree. Time for change. To answer your question as to why, the answer is the most logical thing that goes back to our roots, I read it once somewhere. It was very philosophical in relation to what our original hunters roles were, but that society now completely denies those roles because we are supposed to have evolved beyond that. Which is completely stupid because that's how we're wired. Body structure, muscle, estrogen vs testosterone, but if worded incorrectly it comes off as insanely sexist - tells how much society is in blind denial huh ? But, again, good thing, because we should bring this to a change. It's annoying all leading roles are males.

Change - MAD MAX : he plays secondary character, Charlize Theron is the lead - in his own film !

sarahsweets
09-01-15, 06:24 AM
Batman/superman et al. and then there's Wonder woman. They get to have gadgets and fight real crime with cool suits. Wonder woman gets a golden lasso for truth telling, a two piece hot pants outfit complete with crown, full makeup and an invisible jet that you can totally tell she is flying in ..( I mean wouldnt criminals notice some woman floating through the air?) In the justice league she was always consulted, but only the big boys got to make the decisions.

aeon
09-01-15, 10:09 AM
Yet, as a child, I always liked Wonder Woman the best because I could relate to her internal values barometer, even if I couldn’t (yet) understand the overt and unapologetic sexism.

---

I’ve tended to dislike stories where the sidekick stereotype was present.

I’d rather watch women of strength and determinism, flawed and otherwise, like Ellen Ripley, Carrie Mathison, and Juliette Fontaine.

cheers,
Ian

stef
09-01-15, 10:18 AM
Hmmm, I hadn't really noticed but yes it's troubling sometimes!
Ugh another example: Iron Man...

Mad Max, definitely the opposite though!

At the same time I think TV some series have "equal" women - I guess I'm thinking of Bones - she is really the central character and Booth is more of the"sidekick". and Criminal Minds where everyone has both talents and quirks.

aeon
09-01-15, 10:55 AM
Oops, sorry for posting here if I should not have been posting here. I’m usually aware of that before I post.

Thanks,
Ian

Flory
09-01-15, 11:07 AM
Interesting insight :D

Gilthranon
09-01-15, 11:29 AM
This actually has been really annoying me for some years now. Somehow I doubt society will have the balls to put away this ego. And US needs a female lesbian president.

Little Missy
09-01-15, 01:00 PM
None of that stuff has ever bothered me.

agentmargo
09-01-15, 02:13 PM
Thanks everyone!! I wrote this just as it popped into my head (BIG SURPRISE, huh?), and then later was like, "Why did I write that?!" But it seems I'm not alone in my frustration.

I consider myself more of the Sherlock Holmes-type person than Dr. Watson. Anyway, I will DEFINITELY have to see Mad Max now!

Also, I agree...we totally need a female president!!

dvdnvwls
09-01-15, 02:27 PM
...have the balls...

Maybe a different choice of metaphor would have worked better for this topic? :D ;)

Corina86
09-01-15, 03:35 PM
Maybe a different choice of metaphor would have worked better for this topic? :D ;)

It's ok, women have balls too, but on the inside ;)

Corina86
09-01-15, 03:41 PM
Gamora (Guardians of the Galaxy);
She-Hulk and Black Widow in Hulk/Avengers animated series
Caitlyn (Flash)
Melinda May (Agents of SHIELD)

Whenever a guy proposes something risky, the girl says no, then the risky thing gets done anyway and all turns out well, making the guy look cool and the girl look like a stiff/coward. Or when guys act crazy, funny, playful and the girl acts like a mommy and gets pi**ed at everything they do. Maybe even sights while she whispers "men..." to herself...

agentmargo
09-02-15, 11:35 AM
Gamora (Guardians of the Galaxy);
She-Hulk and Black Widow in Hulk/Avengers animated series
Caitlyn (Flash)
Melinda May (Agents of SHIELD)

Whenever a guy proposes something risky, the girl says no, then the risky thing gets done anyway and all turns out well, making the guy look cool and the girl look like a stiff/coward. Or when guys act crazy, funny, playful and the girl acts like a mommy and gets pi**ed at everything they do. Maybe even sights while she whispers "men..." to herself...

I haven't watched any of the She-Hulk/animated Avengers or Agents of SHIELD, but I'm in total agreement. Not only is this sexist, it perpetuates a stereotype that women can't be zany, creative, impulsive or high-energy.

Corina86
09-02-15, 01:18 PM
I haven't watched any of the She-Hulk/animated Avengers or Agents of SHIELD, but I'm in total agreement. Not only is this sexist, it perpetuates a stereotype that women can't be zany, creative, impulsive or high-energy.

To be fair, Agents of SHIELD is a pretty good show and has lots of great female characters, including the crazy, impulsive, creative type. Even the stiff one is pretty cool. But the animated series are just one stereotype after another. They're dumb even for cartoon standards.

I've seen this stereotype in so many movies, but I fail to remember them. I wonder why do the writers need to portray the only woman on the show like this: do they feel women really are like that? Do they wish women were like that? Is this something guys? Do they think it's something girls like? I wish I could at least understand the judgement behind the stereotype.

stef
09-02-15, 02:00 PM
Hmmm, now I'm wondering about X-men....