View Full Version : Re-Definitions

dvdnvwls
09-01-15, 09:11 PM
How to play:

- Choose any real word (for this game, a "real" word is either from a standard dictionary or from multiple unrelated online sources that all agree on what it means)

- Show the word along with its real definition. (Either copy & paste or define it in your own words - as long as what you give for a real definition is essentially correct.) If a word has more than one real meaning, you only need to give one of them.

- Show the word again along with your new definition, which is supposed to be both (at least somewhat) funny and (at least somewhat) convincing. :)

- Say something about your new definition that you hope will make it believable.

- Feel free to comment in any way on anyone's definition, BUT if you comment you're also expected to play.

dvdnvwls
09-01-15, 09:11 PM
Colonnade (n) - in architecture, a sequence of columns, with the whole sequence normally joined along the top by an entablature.

Colonnade (n) - a military tactic in which an entire unit is ordered to rapidly and continuously poop at the enemy.

My definition comes from "colonnade"'s resemblance with "fusillade" and "cannonade", which name other military tactics of rapid continuous use of weapons - the first for small arms ("fusil" is a French word for a gun or firearm), the second for artillery ("cannon" should be obvious). Both of those words are simply the weapon name (perhaps with its final consonant doubled) followed by "-ade". Clearly then, in a colonnade, the weapons are not rifles or cannons, but colons.

Hmmm... Perhaps there's a slang meaning available too... Based on the above, colonnade could also be a joking synonym for "shooting the ****". :)

Flory
09-01-15, 09:22 PM
Awesome game idea

I'll so be on this a little later

BellaVita
09-02-15, 05:32 AM
lobber

ónoun Inland North.

clabber.
Also called lobbered milk .
Origin: blend of clabber and lopper

lobber

-noun

One who commits the act of robbing someone, while in a crouched position.

Made up of the words "low" and "robber." Thus creating "lobber."

Can be used as a verb - to lob.

Example sentence: He forcefully grabbed the man by the shoelaces and committed the act of lobbery.

Flory
09-02-15, 09:18 AM
lobber

ónoun Inland North.

clabber.
Also called lobbered milk .
Origin: blend of clabber and lopper

lobber

-noun

One who commits the act of robbing someone, while in a crouched position.

Made up of the words "low" and "robber." Thus creating "lobber."

Can be used as a verb - to lob.

Example sentence: He forcefully grabbed the man by the shoelaces and committed the act of lobbery.

LOL. I saw someone clobbing a gnome the other day

dvdnvwls
09-02-15, 12:30 PM
Mistaken post

dvdnvwls
09-03-15, 02:10 PM
Regulate (v) - to keep (things or people) organized or operating correctly, or to make rules for that purpose.

Regulate (adj) - habitually late for things, but in a consistent predictable way, e.g. "Horace is late, but at least it's not random; he's regulate. You can count on him to show up exactly ten minutes after he's supposed to, and he's always forgotten to tie his shoes."

The explanation is fairly obvious so I'll leave it out, except to give an invented antonym to my new meaning: randolate. :)

dvdnvwls
10-26-15, 02:05 AM
Two new words, explained at the end in just one sentence...

Postpone (v) - to set [an event] to a later time.

Postpone (adj, southern US traditional) - after [eating or preparing] cornbread.

Derelict (adj) - [of an item] abandoned, left behind.

Derelict (n, v) - two words, including a misspelling of the person's name Darryl/Darrell.

Postpone, derelict his fingers.