View Full Version : Done with Adderall, switched to Concerta!

high_voltage
09-03-15, 08:32 PM
Hello everyone! It's been a while since I've been on here :) But I'm glad to be back. I have a question for those of you who take Concerta- what side effects did you experience, if any? Also, are there any ways you know of optimizing my absorption of the medication? I think I had issues from Adderall partly because of my coffee drinking in the morning around the time I took it. My doctor was willing to switch me to Concerta for this reason and also because I told her I thought the Adderall XR was contributing to a lot of my end-of-day exhaustion (dropping me hard at the end of it's effective time).

I went off of medications for about a week and a half in-between, just to see what my brain is doing, and I have to say... I am sad that I have this deficit in the way my brain works, but I'm glad that there's at least things we can try to do for it! Just soldiering on :).

Anyway, let me know if there's anything you think is important to know about Concerta!

-HV:thankyou:

JMANJ789
09-04-15, 04:45 PM
i tend to be more nervous and sweat a lot . And i'm a ADD'er so it makes me like super calm , and i dont like that . that's not how i am . i does work . until the med is wearing off and then you might run into trouble. i am very tired at the end of the day (5 Pm ...) . but theres 2 chemical that cuase Ad(h)d if i remember correctly, your ad(h)d might just be caused from the other chemical then my add is caused of .

Wish you good luck. hopefully it'll work for you without the side effects

bogut6162
09-29-15, 04:48 PM
Been in Krakow Poland for the past 3 months for work, another 3 months until the project is finished. Since Adderall isn't available in Europe, I finally found a psychiatrist willing to prescribe me Concerta (wasn't easy). In the US, I take 2 20's of Adderall a day. Now I'm taking 1 36 Concerta. While I'm grateful to have medication, Concerta is a somewhat disappointing substitute. In addition to not working as well from a cognitive benefit perspective, I feel very anxious. On a positive note, I haven't had any issues staying asleep, even if taken later in the day. I'd be interested in hearing about any other Adderall substitutes available in Europe.....I might be forced to fly back to the US, just for a refill.

Powderbucket
09-30-15, 03:28 PM
Anyway, let me know if there's anything you think is important to know about Concerta!

-HV:thankyou:

It took me 5 months for my body and mind to get used to it - so it takes time! I love it though, and I'm comfortable with it because it seems to be slightly more gentle (not sure if that's the right word).

I also feel groggy around 4pm (I take it between 8am and 10am) but if I move about or eat or something for an hour then it subsides and I feel better.

It lowers my sugar, so I take a few supplements to keep my body healthy.

I think that staying healthy and being good to your body is a good recommendation when you start this med.

Best of luck! :)

ChestRockwellNY
10-01-15, 02:00 PM
Concerta has been the best thing for me. I take 36mg. I am a 6'3", 215lbs, 35 year old male. I tried Adderall, Vyvanse, Modafinil (which was supposed to be the best, the LIMITLESS drug, but it wasn't for me), and Concerta has been the only thing that helps me to focus without giving me anxiety or making me feel like I am drugged. It definitely isn't a "WOW, I CAN DO ANYTHING" type drug, but when I zone out now, it helps to get me refocused a lot faster and helps to keep me on task. It is no miracle drug, would love to find that, but it is worth it for me to take it.

Also, I definitely still feel like "myself" on it, which is great, on some of the other meds I took, at work if somebody even tried to talk to me I was just very irritable. I find that it lasts for about 12 hours. I take it about 8:30 in the morning, and when I get home from work at around 6:15, if I have a wash to do, or I have to clean up my apartment, or have to take care of mail, or if I want to go to the gym, I am more likely just to do it right away. In the past, I would go right to the couch, turn on the TV, and put it off until the next day.

To sum up, this is not a miracle drug for me, I still zone out, and procrastinate a bit, but it helps to get me back on track and keeps me focused and leads to me being more proactive and productive. The side effects are very, very minimal. Definitely worth it for me. Best of luck!!!!!!!!!