View Full Version : Adhd and weight loss.

WeezerB
09-08-15, 10:57 PM
I am aware of how unhealthy it is to use adderall as a weight loss drug. After taking the tova test and being told I was "to adhd to function" I switched Mt test results to my family dr who proscribed me a generic for adderall. Or atleast I assume that's what it is. All the generic names it goes by throws me for a loop. After talking with her about not wanting to be on a crazy stupid amout of pills at the age of 26 she advised that I try adderall and see if it helps with the stress eating, over eating, binge eating whatever. That being said what do y'all think. Do I sound like a fool for listening and entertaining the idea? Do any of you have tips or pointers? I have been on this med for 4 weeks and lost 3 lbs. My bmi says I am morbidly obese. It sounded like a sure fire plan from the dr but I am having second thoughts. Advance would be greatly appreciated!

sarahsweets
09-09-15, 03:53 AM
So you are diagnosed with adhd but you need to lose weight?

TygerSan
09-09-15, 08:02 AM
There is some evidence of overlap between adhd symptoms and disordered eating. I would caution that the pure weight-loss side effects of the stimulants seem to diminish due to tolerance after around 6 months or so. But if you're impulsively binging and/or eating without paying attention to what's going into your body, it may be that the meds will help.

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170833

WeezerB
09-09-15, 08:19 AM
Yes. My dr wanted me to attend the adipex clinic but I was worried about taking both adderall and adipex together given that they are both stimulates.

BellaVita
09-09-15, 02:11 PM
Hope it works out for you! :) (no pun intended)

Powderbucket
09-11-15, 03:42 AM
I am aware of how unhealthy it is to use adderall as a weight loss drug. After taking the tova test and being told I was "to adhd to function" I switched Mt test results to my family dr who proscribed me a generic for adderall. Or atleast I assume that's what it is. All the generic names it goes by throws me for a loop. After talking with her about not wanting to be on a crazy stupid amout of pills at the age of 26 she advised that I try adderall and see if it helps with the stress eating, over eating, binge eating whatever. That being said what do y'all think. Do I sound like a fool for listening and entertaining the idea? Do any of you have tips or pointers? I have been on this med for 4 weeks and lost 3 lbs. My bmi says I am morbidly obese. It sounded like a sure fire plan from the dr but I am having second thoughts. Advance would be greatly appreciated!

Hi WeezerB,

A drug becomes dangerous when you take it unprescribed or for the wrong reasons. It's also dangerous if you abuse it. My philosophy is that, if you feel you're taking something bad for a bad reason, then you probably are, so stop it.

In your case, maybe you've heard stories here and there and that's making you worry. Don't worry about the stories. If you feel happy and good taking the medication in line with the doctor's orders, then don't worry too much about other's and what they say. Also, you're not taking it primarily for weight-loss, but it will more than likely help you to stop thinking about food as much as you are. This could really benefit you, provided that you look at it from a healthy, positive perspective. You don't simply want to replace one addiction (food) with another (stimulants). You want to beat the one with assistance from the stimulant, and continue on happily with life.